Cold weather motor

Status
Please reply by conversation.

whiplash123

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 18, 2008
Sudbury, ON
I live in a very cold & damp area and have been told that motors don't work well if at all. Does anyone recommend a good motor for these conditions for a 36" dish? Also, I'm using a Viewsat PVR 7000 if that makes a difference.

Ftadirect,

I'm in Sudbury and I'm using a Viewsat PVR 7000. I've read about some viewsats not working well with motors how is the 7000?

I know Sonicview works well with a motor, but have not heard anything negative about the Viewsat. We have people using the same motor in Fort McMurray, Alberta.

I use the same motor in Minneapolis where it can get to -30F during the winter...same motor for 4 years now

If you make sure when you switch satellites that you switch to a channel on the horizontal or left hand transponder, the motor will get the higher voltage (16v - 18v) and turn easier.
I have been using a Stab HH-90 on my 1m dish and a Invacom Quad LNBF (heavy) for a couple of years with no problems.

I was looking in my SG2100 owners manual and I could not find the temperature rating.

Here in Casper, we get cold air that leaks down from Canada as low as -40deg F. My motor is still working. :up

Have been using a SG-2100 on the East coast of Canada for two years. Motor subject to temps of -30 in winter and salt spray. Motor has never missed a beat.

I finally purchased a Motec SG-2100. Set-up was about as much fun as finding 10r with a warped pan. After spending about 2 hours in 35c (104f) sun on a flat tar roof it came to me that I should try using a circular LNB to dial in the motor. I replaced my linear LNB with a spare circular, entered my USALS information then went to 91.0w and fine tuned that signal. To test that I had the proper arc I then checked both 61.5w then 119.0w I knew If I could get those then everything in-between should be fine. I replaced the circular LNB with my linear and It worked like a charm and I had everything running in about 15 minutes with just a little fine tuning to get the strongest possible signal on the transponders that had channels.

Also, I had purchased a magic bracket 4 hoping to receive multiple satellites without the need of moving the motor. I was running out of sunlight and wanted to get running quickly so I added 10o to all my sat position for circular satellites only then stored those positions set-up a circular LNB 10o left of the centre LNB on the magic bracket until I found the strongest signal. I tried to get it at 4o so I could get 123.0w and 119.0w for NASA but again I was out of time. I know I could just go out and buy an Invacom or a dual circular/linear but it would have just taken out all the fun.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts