Cold weather motor

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

whiplash123

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 18, 2008
Sudbury, ON
I live in a very cold & damp area and have been told that motors don't work well if at all. Does anyone recommend a good motor for these conditions for a 36" dish? Also, I'm using a Viewsat PVR 7000 if that makes a difference.

Ftadirect,

I'm in Sudbury and I'm using a Viewsat PVR 7000. I've read about some viewsats not working well with motors how is the 7000?

I know Sonicview works well with a motor, but have not heard anything negative about the Viewsat. We have people using the same motor in Fort McMurray, Alberta.

I use the same motor in Minneapolis where it can get to -30F during the winter...same motor for 4 years now

If you make sure when you switch satellites that you switch to a channel on the horizontal or left hand transponder, the motor will get the higher voltage (16v - 18v) and turn easier.
I have been using a Stab HH-90 on my 1m dish and a Invacom Quad LNBF (heavy) for a couple of years with no problems.

I was looking in my SG2100 owners manual and I could not find the temperature rating.

Here in Casper, we get cold air that leaks down from Canada as low as -40deg F. My motor is still working. :up

Have been using a SG-2100 on the East coast of Canada for two years. Motor subject to temps of -30 in winter and salt spray. Motor has never missed a beat.

I finally purchased a Motec SG-2100. Set-up was about as much fun as finding 10r with a warped pan. After spending about 2 hours in 35c (104f) sun on a flat tar roof it came to me that I should try using a circular LNB to dial in the motor. I replaced my linear LNB with a spare circular, entered my USALS information then went to 91.0w and fine tuned that signal. To test that I had the proper arc I then checked both 61.5w then 119.0w I knew If I could get those then everything in-between should be fine. I replaced the circular LNB with my linear and It worked like a charm and I had everything running in about 15 minutes with just a little fine tuning to get the strongest possible signal on the transponders that had channels.

Also, I had purchased a magic bracket 4 hoping to receive multiple satellites without the need of moving the motor. I was running out of sunlight and wanted to get running quickly so I added 10o to all my sat position for circular satellites only then stored those positions set-up a circular LNB 10o left of the centre LNB on the magic bracket until I found the strongest signal. I tried to get it at 4o so I could get 123.0w and 119.0w for NASA but again I was out of time. I know I could just go out and buy an Invacom or a dual circular/linear but it would have just taken out all the fun.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)