College Basketball Coaches Fired

Yep, the committment ($$) appears to be there, now it seems they just have to pick the right guy.

This link says Paul Hewitt from Ga Tech and Tom Pecora from Hofstra are being pursued. Both have strong relationships with the top area AAU and prep coaches, which Roberts did not have....

Johnnies pursuing Ga. Tech's Hewitt - NYPOST.com
Please Please Please lure Hewitt away from Tech. That way we can get a coach that actually coaches players to their full potential.

The only reason Tech keeps him is because of the 7 million he gets if he's fired.

Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Paul Hewitt to St. John's?

The comments are great, only ones in favor of him staying are from Georgia fans. :p

Last edited:
Please Please Please lure Hewitt away from Tech. That way we can get a coach that actually coaches players to their full potential.

The only reason Tech keeps him is because of the 7 million he gets if he's fired.

Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Paul Hewitt to St. John's?

The comments are great, only ones in favor of him staying are from Georgia fans. :p
I agree with you Derwin, but you guys are screwed. Not only can't you afford the buyout, who gives mediocre coaches 10 year extensions, but Hewitt had a good year by his standards. I wouldn't be surprised if you guys give him another 5 years, which is how long it'll take before you get back to the tournament. Face it Paul Hewitt is like herpes once you get him there's no getting rid of him. :D

I agree with you Derwin, but you guys are screwed. Not only can't you afford the buyout, who gives mediocre coaches 10 year extensions, but Hewitt had a good year by his standards. I wouldn't be surprised if you guys give him another 5 years, which is how long it'll take before you get back to the tournament. Face it Paul Hewitt is like herpes once you get him there's no getting rid of him. :D
I know, that rolling over contract is killing us.

My ideal would be for St. John's to take him away, I'm sure Tech would waive the 3.5 million penalty for him leaving in a heartbeat, and then go down to the College of Charleston and convince a certain silver haired coach to come back to where he belongs.

I heard Isiah Thomas may be available. I wonder if he'd be interested? ;):D

I have no problem with Isiah Thomas coaching St. John's...as long as it's the Isiah Thomas who is the point guard for Washington, and not the buffoon in Miami...;) :D

Sandra

Amen! :D

He is by far not the worst coach out there, but there are better, IMO. I doubt he will leave, he has too good a thing going as is. There are a lot of coaches who get deals like that, think Fat Chollie at ND. IMO, if you want to be a college AD, the first requirement is to have a lobotomy. hehehe

Add another name to the list:

Sources: St. John's Red Storm to talk to Steve Lavin on Monday - ESPN

Added bonus: Maybe we would get to see more of Mrs. Lavin....

pic_629_1_51e4e.jpg

There are rumors that Donny Jones of Marshall will leave to take the UCF coaching job.

From the article...

Lavin would fit the Red Storm's desire to hire a name coach with personality and charisma that can capture the New York market as it tries to become more relevant in the city.

So this hire is based on superficial traits and not actual basketball accomplishments? Perhaps I was joking about them looking at Isiah Thomas before, but hell, Isiah's actually looking like a competent hire compared to this TV stiff!

Boston College basketball coach Al Skinner has been fired, according to sources at Boston College. A press conference is scheduled for noon today.

BC officials will start a search for a successor immediately, and have already asked for permission to talk to Richmond coach Chris Mooney and Cornell coach Steve Donahue.

Other possibilities could be Harvard coach Tommy Amaker and Northeastern coach Billy Coen.

BC fires Skinner

Skinner will be missed.

He did a tremendous job there (Big East champs in 2001, Sweet 16 in 2006, ran off a 20-something unbeaten streak in 2005).

BC is a sinking ship. First the Jags debacle, now this. Bunch of fibbing idiots in their administration.