College Basketball Coaches Fired

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Skinner will be missed.

He did a tremendous job there (Big East champs in 2001, Sweet 16 in 2006, ran off a 20-something unbeaten streak in 2005).
No kidding. Skinner had a good run there. I'm not sure where this leaves BC. As a Carolina fan I guess I should be happy. Not having to face that dreaded flex offense every year, which is kryptonite to Roy Williams' teams, is a blessing. Now if someone would get rid of Gary Williams at Maryland we'd be all set. :D

It is official now that Marshall's coach is going to UCF. Can't post a link since work blocks all sports sites right now because of the NCAA tournament. Grrrrrrrr!

UTEP is hiring Tim Floyd from USC. This definitely deserves a WTF! Floyd only got USC put on probation. It never ceases to amaze me how some schools justify these hires.

UTEP is hiring Tim Floyd from USC. This definitely deserves a WTF! Floyd only got USC put on probation. It never ceases to amaze me how some schools justify these hires.
They also hired Mike Price after the Alabama fiasco (of course that was just a personal embarrassment). That's worked out well for them so far.

They also hired Mike Price after the Alabama fiasco (of course that was just a personal embarrassment). That's worked out well for them so far.
He didn't cheat. I don't know why some schools believe these guys will ever turn a new leaf. Indiana paid for hiring Kelvin Sampson, Georgia paid for hiring Jim Harrick, Memphis paid for hiring Calipari, and the clock's ticking on Kentucky.

St. John's has hired ESPN analyst and former UCLA coach Steve Lavin to succeed Norm Roberts, a school spokesman said Tuesday.

Lavin has been with ESPN the past six years after being fired at UCLA in 2003. He coached the Bruins to the NCAA tournament six times in seven seasons, including one Elite Eight appearance and five trips to the Sweet 16. He inherits a team that could return 10 seniors for 2010-11.

The school will hold a news conference to introduce Lavin on Wednesday.

[ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5041205"]Steve Lavin hired to coach St. John's Red Storm men's basketball - ESPN[/ame]

Lavin accepted the St. Johns's job?

I'll be REALLY interested to see what Sandy has to say about this.

IMHO, this is a move the program is using to become relavant again (which they haven't been since the Ron Artest days- nearly crashed the 1999 Final Four and won the 2000 Big East Tourney)

Since Lou Carnesseca retired, the only St. John's coach to have a sustained run of success was Mike Jarvis (who looks a lot like Phil from 'The Fresh Prince')

Skinner will be missed.

He did a tremendous job there (Big East champs in 2001, Sweet 16 in 2006, ran off a 20-something unbeaten streak in 2005).

Wasn't Skinner also the coach of the 1997 team that upset Villanova in the Big East Championship Game, or was that Jim O'Brien's last year before heading for Ohio St?

Since Lou Carnesseca retired, the only St. John's coach to have a sustained run of success was Mike Jarvis (who looks a lot like Phil from 'The Fresh Prince')

Jarvis was Patrick Ewing's high school coach (along with Rumeal Robinson and Karl Hobbs) at Cambridge Rindge & Latin High School.

Lavin accepted the St. Johns's job?

I'll be REALLY interested to see what Sandy has to say about this.

IMHO, this is a move the program is using to become relavant again (which they haven't been since the Ron Artest days- nearly crashed the 1999 Final Four and won the 2000 Big East Tourney)
I don't think Lavin will be able to turn St. John's into a contender. He was hated by UCLA fans, and has no connections to NYC basketball. The BE is still going to be the BE so in order to be a contender you have to be able to finish in the top half of the conference consistently. How is Lavin going to get any of the guys who now sign with the other programs? I don't see it.

I don't think Lavin will be able to turn St. John's into a contender. He was hated by UCLA fans, and has no connections to NYC basketball. The BE is still going to be the BE so in order to be a contender you have to be able to finish in the top half of the conference consistently. How is Lavin going to get any of the guys who now sign with the other programs? I don't see it.
The focus for recruiting will fall to his assistants.

Lavin was expected to meet with the team and begin assembling a coaching staff Tuesday. According to a source familiar with the negotiations, Lavin will be given an impressive budget with which to hire assistant coaches with a mind toward hiring proven recruiters, some with head-coaching experience. Manhattan coach Barry Rohrssen and former Virginia coach Dave Leitao are expected targets.

St. John's gives former UCLA coach Steve Lavin six-year deal to take over Red Storm hoops program

Not sure what to expect from Lavin, but honestly it can't be any worse than it is now, provided he keeps the program clean. I don't remember any improprieties at UCLA, I just remember the fan base thinking the sweet 16 was not enough.

Lavin's wife looks like she's a sophomore at Archbishop Molloy, and it's freaking me out a little....:eek:

Sandra

Last edited:
DePaul has hired Oliver Purnell from Clemson. I always thought Purnell would leave Clemson someday, but for DePaul?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts