College football bowl bid acceptances and matchups

I'll be honest. I don't mind the bowl games. There have been many bowl games that have been around forever. If you eliminate some of the newer bowls you'll still have too many.

Besides, a lot of these bowls fall between Christmas and New Year's. I mean are you really going to sit and watch every bowl game. Let the 6-6 teams have some fun.
I will say that I do think they should end the bowls on Jan. 1 and none of this GMAC Bowl crap playing the game before the BCS Title game and after the Sugar Bowl. That makes no sense.

IF they are going to do anything, make all the bowls except the BSC bowls end before Jan 1st, play the BCS games on Jan 1st, play the winners the next week.... see where this is going ?

I actually have a dumb question. What are you guys going to watch? The BCS Selection Show on FOX at 8 pm lasting until a new episode of The Simpsons (WOOHOO!!!) at 8:30. OR The Bowl Selection Show on ESPN lasting from 8 pm to 11 pm?

ESPN's show.

It's longer and talks about the non-BCS games.

Besides, when it comes to hearing about college football, I'd rather listen to Herbstreit and Corso than whoever Fox has.

ESPN's show.

It's longer and talks about the non-BCS games.

Besides, when it comes to hearing about college football, I'd rather listen to Herbstreit and Corso than whoever Fox has.

So, is someone going to post the matchups at 9 pm when the FOX show is over, or should we wait till the ESPN stuff is over so you won't know ahead of time ?

Jimbo, your points are well taken. I say end all bowls on Jan. 1 and that's it. You might as well have it the way it is because if you want to play devil's advocate, the system and schedule is already broken. I mean they added a BCS Title Game when they had 4 other BCS games to choose from.

The FOX show is garbage. They will spend most of the time dragging things out American Idol style and telling you things we already know like that VT is going to the Orange Bowl. They won't get around to revealing the BCS NC until the last minute and by then you'll already know who's going by process of elimination.

And they'll have lots of pointless interviews with the coaches, so we'll all get to hear Mack Brown swallow his pride and say what an honor it is to be selected to the Fiesta Bowl and how excited they are to play a meaningless game there instead of playing for a NC in Miami. He'll be as sincere as a defeated politician on election night.

The FOX show is garbage. They will spend most of the time dragging things out American Idol style and telling you things we already know like that VT is going to the Orange Bowl. They won't get around to revealing the BCS NC until the last minute and by then you'll already know who's going by process of elimination.

That's why I'll watch ESPN's three-hour show- their analysts are much more believable when it comes to knowing college football.

ESPN will tell us straight up who gets the BCS spots.

And they'll have lots of pointless interviews with the coaches, so we'll all get to hear Mack Brown swallow his pride and say what an honor it is to be selected to the Fiesta Bowl and how excited they are to play a meaningless game there instead of playing for a NC in Miami. He'll be as sincere as a defeated politician on election night.

Your right Anders. It's no different than the NCAA Tournament Selection Show. Nobody wants to hear interviews and analysis, they want to see the brackets and which teams are in and out but they drag the brackets out for almost the entire hour.

As far as FOX and ESPN goes, I'll probably switch back and forth.

The NCAA Tournament Selection Show moves at a faster pace simply because there are 65 teams to announce and nobody has any idea what the matchups are going to be. With the BCS there are only 10 teams involved, we know who all of them are and what most of the matchups will be.

That's true but I was saying that they stall with the tourney as well. Instead of giving you the brackets, they start the show, break, talk about the 1 seeds, then either break or give you 2 of the 4 brackets, break, and then the rest. I seem to remember stretching the show out because, let's face it, after the brackets are shown, who watches the rest of the show.

They should just announce the brackets then talk about the 1 seeds, each bracket and then have the interviews etc.

Don't we already know what most of the match ups are ?

Is this show ONLY for the BSC games, or for all the bowl games ?

We know:

MNC : Florida and Oklahoma
Rose : Penn State and USC
Fiesta: Texas and Ohio State (99 % sure)
Sugar: Alabama and UTAH
Orange : Va Tech and Cincy

Jimbo

Emerald Bowl is Miami Hurricanes vs California Bears. Miami Alumni Assoc just sent me an email!

Looks like ESPN has all the matchups, minus the BCS ones: [ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3444571"]2008-09 Bowl schedule/results - College Football - ESPN[/ame]

Last edited:
after being preseason #1 and having their sights set on the NC, the Capital One Bowl is gotta be as exciting as a trip to the dentist.

Given how Georgia Tech ran all over them, facing Javon Ringer is not any easier.

That's gonna be a glass half full or half empty game. The glass is definitely half full for Michigan St after years of mediocrity. For Georgia, though, after being preseason #1 and having their sights set on the NC, the Capital One Bowl is gotta be as exciting as a trip to the dentist.

Perhaps, but the Citrus Bowl is probably the top non-BCS bowl (I guess the Cotton would be the top competition for that honor) and going to Orlando for a NYD bowl is still a pretty nice accomplishment and reward. Given that Georgia's championship hopes were lost a while ago, I doubt their players are that disappointed with the result.

That's gonna be a glass half full or half empty game. The glass is definitely half full for Michigan St after years of mediocrity. For Georgia, though, after being preseason #1 and having their sights set on the NC, the Capital One Bowl is gotta be as exciting as a trip to the dentist.

If you remember, Ohio State was picked to play against Georgia in the MNC game before the season started....
Both proved to not be good enough to be ranked that high.

Perhaps, but the Citrus Bowl is probably the top non-BCS bowl (I guess the Cotton would be the top competition for that honor) and going to Orlando for a NYD bowl is still a pretty nice accomplishment and reward. Given that Georgia's championship hopes were lost a while ago, I doubt their players are that disappointed with the result.
You must not know any Georgia fans. They feel Georgia should win the NC every year. Only occasionaly do they have justification for that. Winning the Capital One Bowl will not erase the disappointment that was this season.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)