College players going to the pros early- good or bad idea?

SabresRule

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
Wisconsin
In recent years, some sophomores and juniors in college football have declared for the pros before their senior year (today, Jevin Snead of Ole Miss became the latest).

And of course, in college basketball, it seems like all the stud freshman only play for one year

How do you feel about this?

Personally, I don't like it.

I am sick and tired of hearing everyone talk about how much money they are costing themselves.

These players usually end up playing on some woeful teams- teams that are dreadfully awful.

It annoyed me when Oden, Durant, Beasley, Rose, etc. all only played one year in the college game- whatever happened to enjoying the college experience? Whatever happened to wanting to winning national titles?

Sure, you get paid a lot of money- but in some cases, they end up on bad teams.

This would have been Kevin Durant's senior year had he stayed at Texas- instead, he spent the first two years of his career playing on terrible teams.

It amazes me that these guys would rather earn milliions while winning 15-20 games a year than contending for a national title?

I fear for guys that go to terrible teams. Is it REALLY worth it?

Look at Stafford- he won only two games this year. He may not win 20 games over the next 7 years. Is $78 million worth all the sacks, interceptions, and losses? If you ask me- it's not. It's not worth all the pain and struggling.

If John Wall goes pro and is drafted by the Nets, it wouldn't be right to see a player of his caliber stuck on a team that won't be any good for another 5 years.

If you ask me, stay in school. All the money in the world can't buy happiness- or in this case, wins.

And Durant is now the star on an improving Thunder team. You can't blame the guys who leave early when they have guaranteed money waiting for them in the pros. The dumbasses are the college basketball players who think they'll be lottery picks and wind up slipping to the 2nd round or worse are not drafted at all.

I am sick and tired of hearing everyone talk about how much money they are costing themselves.
But, it's the truth.

These players usually end up playing on some woeful teams- teams that are dreadfully awful.
There's no guarantee that they will be drafted by a good team after staying four years, is there??

It amazes me that these guys would rather earn milliions while winning 15-20 games a year than contending for a national title?
I've bolded the key words here. The ultimate goal and the whole reason for playing the game for these guys is the millions and the lifetime security that goes with it, not the chance to possibly maybe win a title.

If you ask me, stay in school. All the money in the world can't buy happiness- or in this case, wins.
But it can buy "love". :D

I have mixed feelings but will say this. It's not fair at all to tell these young Americans they can not work and earn money but let Europeans come over and play at any age.

You can't blame the kids, they're just taking advantage of the system as its defined right now. The elite players are there for a year only because they basically have to. And when they are there:

To be eligible to play in the spring semester of your freshman year of college basketball, you must have passed six credit hours of classes during the fall semester. After that, you can, at least theoretically, check out of higher education and still play in the Final Four without any eligibility repercussions.

You must enroll in classes, but who says you have to go?

One-and-done frosh more 'athlete' than 'student' - Columnist - ESPN

As a fan of college sports I hate it.

If I was in the position, however, it wouldn't even be a difficult choice. I'd take the millions with no second thoughts.

As a fan of college sports I hate it.

If I was in the position, however, it wouldn't even be a difficult choice. I'd take the millions with no second thoughts.

I agree. As a fan I HATE it!!! As a player, cant say I wouldnt do the same

In recent years, some sophomores and juniors in college football have declared for the pros before their senior year (today, Jevin Snead of Ole Miss became the latest).

Sophomores in College do not leave for the pro's, they at least have to play into thier Jr. year.

IF the rest would follow this idea, there would be much more consistency in the other sports ...

Sophomores in College do not leave for the pro's, they at least have to play into thier Jr. year.

IF the rest would follow this idea, there would be much more consistency in the other sports ...

If you went to a prep school or were red-shirted you can enter the NFL draft after your sophomore season.

And of course, in college basketball, it seems like all the stud freshman only play for one year

How do you feel about this?

Personally, I don't like it.

It annoyed me when Oden, Durant, Beasley, Rose, etc. all only played one year in the college game- whatever happened to enjoying the college experience? Whatever happened to wanting to winning national titles?

Sure, you get paid a lot of money- but in some cases, they end up on bad teams.

This would have been Kevin Durant's senior year had he stayed at Texas- instead, he spent the first two years of his career playing on terrible teams.

I fear for guys that go to terrible teams. Is it REALLY worth it?

Look at Stafford- he won only two games this year. He may not win 20 games over the next 7 years. Is $78 million worth all the sacks, interceptions, and losses? If you ask me- it's not. It's not worth all the pain and struggling.

If John Wall goes pro and is drafted by the Nets, it wouldn't be right to see a player of his caliber stuck on a team that won't be any good for another 5 years.

Are you kidding? $78 freaking million dollars? Hell yeah he's happy. He could have stayed at school, and then played for another crappy team this year. It's all about the money. Plain and simple. Pain? I've gotten my ass beat for free my whole life.

Are you kidding? $78 freaking million dollars? Hell yeah he's happy. He could have stayed at school, and then played for another crappy team this year. It's all about the money. Plain and simple. Pain? I've gotten my ass beat for free my whole life.

Is Sabes really blaming Stafford for the Lions only winning 2 games ?
You got to be kidding.

The "Is $78 million really worth......." quote may be the craziest thing ever spoken on this site.

$1 million would be well worth all the sacks, interceptions and losses. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)