Baseball Hall of Fame welcomes the Hawk

Ramy

The Star Wars Collector Podcast
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jan 27, 2004
Here
Andre Dawson is the only person elected by the writers this year.

Dawson earns long-awaited Hall call | MLB.com: News

Let me just say this. Barry Larkin and Roberto Alomar should have gotten in this year.

List of votes:
Player - Total Votes - Percentage
Andre Dawson 420 - 77.9%
Bert Blyleven 400 - 74.2%
Roberto Alomar 397 - 73.7%
Jack Morris 282 - 52.3%
Barry Larkin 278 - 51.6%
Lee Smith 255 - 47.3%
Edgar Martinez 195 - 36.2%
Tim Raines 164 - 30.4%
Mark McGwire 128 - 23.7%
Alan Trammell 121 - 22.4%
Fred McGriff 116 - 21.5%
Don Mattingly 87 - 16.1%
Dave Parker 82 - 15.2%
Dale Murphy 63 - 11.7%
Harold Baines 33 - 6.1%
Andres Galarraga 22 - 4.1%
Robin Ventura 7 - 1.3%
Ellis Burks 2 - 0.4%
Eric Karros 2 - 0.4%
Kevin Appier 1 - 0.2%
Pat Hentgen 1 - 0.2%
David Segui 1 - 0.2%
Mike Jackson 0 - 0%
Ray Lankford 0 - 0%
Shane Reynolds 0 - 0%
Todd Zeile 0 - 0%

Last edited:
Baseball HOF writers are the most picky and stringent of all HOF writers. In a way this is good, as it doesn't become a laughing stock joke of a HOF like the Rock n Roll HOF.

I agree, Larkin and Alomar are first ballet HOFers and should have gotten in. They will get in eventually though.

Alomar is one of the top 10 2nd basemen of all time. For him NOT to get in is absolute bull****!

He probably just needs a "penalty" year or two for the spitting incident. I'm confident he'll be in.

If I were a voter, I wouldn't vote for him on first ballot (if that is what this year was for him). I"d definitely vote for him on all future ballots which he appears.

A hall of fame is a hall of fame! I truly do not believe bull****! IF you are worthy of being in the HOF, why all this waiting for years? This is why I prefer the allow that most of the voting be done by the player's peers.

Alomar will get in a year or two. While he was great, the number of years a player waits has always been a measure of their greatness. Was he really as dominant as the first-year-of-eligibility inductees? I think second or third year will be fine. Larkin will probably be a year or two longer.

I'm biased in this (he was one of my favorites as a kid), but to me the shame of the writers shows in Blyleven being passed over for the thirteenth time. Every previous pitcher with Bert's stats has been inducted. I was in the HoF in Cooperstown in August of 2001. When I was in the room with the pitching records listed I was struck by seeing Blyleven's name among the leaders in virtually every major pitching statistic and the fact that all the names around his — above and below — were in the Hall. When modern statistical analysis is applied (see The Baseball Analysts: Bert Blyleven For Hall of Fame: Answering the Naysayers), his numbers are even better. That and his knee buckling hook make his absence — at least to me — a glaring omission. It seems quite likely that he will be elected next year, but I think he should have made six or seven years ago.

Andre Dawson is the only person elected by the writers this year.

Dawson earns long-awaited Hall call | MLB.com: News

Let me just say this. Barry Larkin and Roberto Alomar should have gotten in this year.

List of votes:
Player - Total Votes - Percentage
Andre Dawson 420 - 77.9%
Bert Blyleven 400 - 74.2%
Roberto Alomar 397 - 73.7%
Jack Morris 282 - 52.3%
Barry Larkin 278 - 51.6%
Lee Smith 255 - 47.3%
Edgar Martinez 195 - 36.2%
Tim Raines 164 - 30.4%
Mark McGwire 128 - 23.7%
Alan Trammell 121 - 22.4%
Fred McGriff 116 - 21.5%
Don Mattingly 87 - 16.1%
Dave Parker 82 - 15.2%
Dale Murphy 63 - 11.7%
Harold Baines 33 - 6.1%
Andres Galarraga 22 - 4.1%
Robin Ventura 7 - 1.3%
Ellis Burks 2 - 0.4%
Eric Karros 2 - 0.4%
Kevin Appier 1 - 0.2%
Pat Hentgen 1 - 0.2%
David Segui 1 - 0.2%
Mike Jackson 0 - 0%
Ray Lankford 0 - 0%
Shane Reynolds 0 - 0%
Todd Zeile 0 - 0%
Congrats Hawk !!!

Jack Morris and Bert Blylevin also should have gone in.

Only 1 player going in, thats not right.

I never have liked the way they vote for the baseball HOF, to many better than thou people voting

Are there ANY Baseball HOF voters that are not Social Security eligible ?

Speaking of "holier than thou", did you hear Jay Marriott's comments about his vote? What a douche bag and one of the main reasons PEERS should do most of the voting!

Only 1 player going in, thats not right.

i like it. MLB doesn't cheapen the hall of fame like the NFL does.

If this were the NFL, noone would have gotten the percentage number of votes needed so you take the top 4 votegetters - Dawson, Blyleven, Alomar and Morris.

I wonder if MLB has ever had a year where nobody got the 75% of votes and thus no induction (or only induct non-player wings of the HOF like frick or umpire or executive, etc).

Bert should have got in

I know he didnt win 300 games but good lord look at those Pirates & Indians teams he was on

Alomar will get in a year or two. While he was great, the number of years a player waits has always been a measure of their greatness. Was he really as dominant as the first-year-of-eligibility inductees? I think second or third year will be fine. Larkin will probably be a year or two longer.

I'm biased in this (he was one of my favorites as a kid), but to me the shame of the writers shows in Blyleven being passed over for the thirteenth time. Every previous pitcher with Bert's stats has been inducted. I was in the HoF in Cooperstown in August of 2001. When I was in the room with the pitching records listed I was struck by seeing Blyleven's name among the leaders in virtually every major pitching statistic and the fact that all the names around his — above and below — were in the Hall. When modern statistical analysis is applied (see The Baseball Analysts: Bert Blyleven For Hall of Fame: Answering the Naysayers), his numbers are even better. That and his knee buckling hook make his absence — at least to me — a glaring omission. It seems quite likely that he will be elected next year, but I think he should have made six or seven years ago.

Agree x 100.

Bert deserves to be in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)