Baseball Hall of Fame welcomes the Hawk

So let me get this straight.....THESE players, though good ball players, but NO WHERE NEAR deserving of HOF votes, get votes that much more deserving do not get??!!

Robin Ventura 7 - 1.3%
Ellis Burks 2 - 0.4%
Eric Karros 2 - 0.4%
Kevin Appier 1 - 0.2%
Pat Hentgen 1 - 0.2%
David Segui 1 - 0.2

Now and then, a local sportswriter casts a vote for a local player he likes as a show of appreciation. These votes do not cost any other player anything. If I were voting when Tim Wakefield becomes eligible, I'd probably cast a vote for him for the same reason. Robin Ventura was once selected, "College Player of the Decade". I find it hard to imagine anyone concocting a more meaningless award.

I mean seriously???!!! THIS is why reporters/writers DO NOT deserve to vote and they(possible HOF) should get voted in by their peers(former players and coaches).
The peers, who vote for old timers, have often been criticized for not voting for much of anybody, on the theory that each addition to the membership dilutes the value of their own inclusion.

Back in 1982, Bill James compared the baseball writers MVP selections with some Player of the Year selections made by the players in the years when they were not the same person, and concluded that the players were more likely to vote for the veteran player with the gaudiest offensive numbers, regardless of his fielding, base running, leadership or any other attributes.

The inclusion of Don Drysdale guarantees that there will always be dozens of retired pitchers who have,"Hall of Fame numbers". For that matter, Jim Rice is only in because he has Hall of Fame numbers. He had borderline offensive numbers, but absolutely sucked as a baserunner, fielder, clutch hitter and teammate. He got big seasonal offensive totals by mopping up on the mediocre pitchers he faced. He used to hit zilch against the best pitchers. I'd take a 40 year old Carl Yastrzemski over a 30 year old Jim Rice against a top flight pitcher. Yaz could still hit the same .260 against the hardest throwers that he hit against the rest.

Last edited:
I AGREE with both :up

I was curious what Sandra had to say seeing she appears against players being able to get in.

I'm against players being able to get in? I said I think Roberto Alomar should get in, and I think he's a jerk. As for Jack Morris...SMEEK!!! You really need to read the whole thread, hun. ;)

I can definitely understand him getting in before Blyleven and Hentgen.

Sandra

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts