Combining FTA and Dishnetwork systems

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Nightnavigator62

Original poster
Nov 3, 2009
Nor Cal
I believe I have read a few replies in various other threads, but I am a newbie and want to make sure I understand it correctly.
I have a Dishnetwork system, but would like to add an additional dish for getting a FTA signal (Ku-band). The dishnetwork dishes/system cannot decode this FTA signal.
My question is if I can use a splitter or diplexer (or any other device) to connect the FTA signal onto the Coaxial cable getting into the house and then a splitter or diplexer (or any other device) to re-split the signal in the living room to the dishnetwork box and the FTA system box.
In other words, will it be possible to get both signals through the same cable, that way avoiding me to pull an additional cable through the house for the FTA "system"?
I think I have read somewhere that the frequencies will be the same and therefore will interfere with eachother, as opposed to the combination of a regular antenna (OTA) and the dishnetwork signal. Yet I want to make sure I, before I start pulling extra cables....
Any assistance will be great.
(I also posted this in the Dishnetwork section, but was suggested to also post it in the FTA section)

Because both Dish Network (or Direct TV) use the same frequencies (LO or local Oscillator) to send the signals down the coax as FTA (Free to Air) - they can not share same coax cable. You are correct about OTA (Over the Air) signals being combinable.
Bob

BTW Welcome to Sat Guys!!

Last edited:
In addition to them not being compatible, something even worse, is when people try to hook their FTA dishes into houses which previously had cable.
Often, there are splitters buried in the walls, wrong type cable, and other problems.
So, best thing to do with a new install, is to take responsibility for it from end-to-end.
If ya ask for help and admit you are spliced into existing house wiring or your Dish/Direct cabling, there's not much we can do for ya. - ;)

I have a Dish Network System installed with a DPP44 switch. Port 4 can take a Ku feed (labelled FSS) from another Ku dish. I used it before for 129W. You would need to have that switch/port available for your setup. From here any cables that run to your rooms , a FTA receiver can be used. However you cannot use the same cable for Dish network and FTA at the same time. Set your FTA receiver to Disecq 4. Here you would use Ports 1, 2, 3 for Dish sats (Maybe 110, 119, 118.9), and Port 4 for Ku feed. The switch has 4 outputs. If that is used up, you can cascade another DPP44 to give additional 4 outputs. However you will need another Dish receiver on port 1 to provide power/signalling.

I have a Dish Network System installed with a DPP44 switch. Port 4 can take a Ku feed (labelled FSS) from another Ku dish. I used it before for 129W. You would need to have that switch/port available for your setup. From here any cables that run to your rooms , a FTA receiver can be used. However you cannot use the same cable for Dish network and FTA at the same time. Set your FTA receiver to Disecq 4. Here you would use Ports 1, 2, 3 for Dish sats (Maybe 110, 119, 118.9), and Port 4 for Ku feed. The switch has 4 outputs. If that is used up, you can cascade another DPP44 to give additional 4 outputs. However you will need another Dish receiver on port 1 to provide power/signalling.

This will work ONLY if you use a bandstacked linear lnb on port4.

Follow Anole's suggestion in keeping the systems seperate, it will also reduce the chances of DISH banging you if a piece of their equipment fails.

You CAN use rf modulators on each receivers output (DISH & FTA) and combine those signals for whole house distribution using your existing wiring and not have to worry about the existing RG59, splitters etc. Sadoun sells a nice one for about $40 that is currently out of stock, but the Truspec one they carry is good too.

I have a Dish Network System installed with a DPP44 switch.
Port 4 can take a Ku feed (labelled FSS) from another Ku dish.

Set your FTA receiver to Disecq 4.
Here you would use Ports 1, 2, 3 for Dish sats (Maybe 110, 119, 118.9), and Port 4 for Ku feed.

The switch has 4 outputs.
If that is used up, you can cascade another DPP44 to give additional 4 outputs.
I sometimes use a DP-34 switch that way.
Only when running experiments with bandstacked LNBF's.
But, explaining it to someone and listing all the caveats are not worth the trouble.
AND, it won't save them any cables, which is their main aim.
By the way, DPP-44's still cost an arm and a leg! - :rolleyes:

Try running into the FTA unit and use the IF LOOP out into the Dishnet unit. SW-21 switch or something similar to bring in another dish or 2 for your FTA unit.

repeat:

Because both Dish Network (or Direct TV) use the same frequencies ... to send the signals down the coax as FTA (Free to Air) - they can not share same coax cable.
Well worth repeating - :eek:

DishNetwork receivers expect to have full-time unimpeded access to all their LNBs.
Also, they only work with factory-selected switch/satellite combinations.
Try running into the FTA unit and use the IF LOOP out into the Dishnet unit.
Cascading receivers means the secondary receiver only gets the same signal as whatever the primary receiver selects.
Not good for Dish; not good for FTA.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)