Newbie testing ideas...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

wezeles

Original poster
Nov 4, 2009
Fort Gratiot, Michigan
Hey guys newb here to the FTA, Name is Dave...

I have been doing research on the FTA subject for some time but never found the need to jump in yet.

With the DTV switch and all i have hooked my OTA antenna back up and am enjoying all the new free crystal clear channels from my local broadcasters.
Still with all the major networks there is a few things I'm missing out on and am relying on my local cable provider "Comcast" to fill the gaps.

Comcast however is now switching there Basic cable line up in some areas over to mostly digital "this switch is happening now in my area".
The channels that they will still broadcast in analog "lowest of the low basic cable service is channels 2-25 tops" in my area are the same exact channels i get for free over the OTA setup plus add the shopping channels "which i could care less about".

Now granted i can stick with them and get the digital converter but they are going to charge more even for basic "digital" cable. And i still need to get a box for every t.v. Why bother!

So i want to setup a nice FTA system ready for anything i need in the future.

Based on my research " a lot coming from this site thank you very much" Im interested in a HD setup to go with my FTA. I would also like a DVR and motorized dish controll.

So for my box the only all in one i can see that i would want is the AZbox HD . Seen plenty of people happy with it. I like that it can handle DiSEqC motorized controls and all the extra features its capable of.

I will probably supplement some of my extra channels with a DSS provider like Direct or Dish.. so im looking at dual LBN's with linear and circular to fill in the gaps i will be leaving with cable.

For dish size im gonna limit myself to 36 inches just because of my neighborhood. I would love to put a larger dish out there and get all the C band but due to community restrictions that will not be possible yet.

so just trying to get your advice on the setup before i purchase it.

Im looking at the getting the AZbox HD Premium and will toss a nice sata drive in it. I would like set it up with the DVB-S2 tuner and also the ATSC Tuner in the box. Guessing this is my best configuration for North America. "does the ATSC tuner work in conjuction witht he DVR feature? and how well does it work? should i just use the one in my tv?"

Im also looking at a 36 inch motorized dish with a Invacom QPH031 Quad Polar CPLP LNBF I figured this would set me up for the FTA and DSS STB's and still leave me room to expand to another TV in the future aswell.

The setup i found was $195 for

• 1 90cm Dish
  • 1 Invacom QPH031 Quad Polar CPLP LNBF
    (DSS + FSS Linear & Circular LNB/LNBF 13/18)
  • 1 diseqc 4x1 switch
  • 1 DiSEqC 1.2 HH motor
  • 4 RG6 surge protectors

seemed to be a decent price for the full setup and combined with a AZbox it looked like a nice setup to get me started.

What do you guys think?
I'm up for some other suggestions. I like the Go Go feature of the AZbox. but not sure how well the blind scan works?

I would like a nice all in one style box with room to grow and the AZ seemed best.

Let me know what you think of the dish setup.. 36 inches is probably about as big as i can go without complaints from the neighbors but i might be able to go a little bigger if it will make a difference.

Thanks guys

A few thoughts:
The AZBox is great but....
The Premuim is hard to find.
No ATSC yet. When? Who knows, if ever
No Blind Scan
Can Not Record most HD stuff
GoGo List is not for Wild Feeds, and a little out of date for North America

FTA does not have Program Guide to schedule recordings.

It is difficult to combine DirecTV or DishNet with an FTA system

What type of channels are you expecting from FTA?

just some of the random news channels, pbs stations for the kids,educational ect... i know i wont get any of the larger cable networks on FTA thats what i intend to purchase with direct or dish...

I picked this setup because with the dual LP/CP LNBF i plan to run one line to the FTA reciever and one line to a Dish or Direct reciever...

I know i would have to move the dish around every time i want to switch back over to Dish/Direct and then move it again to view the FTA channels but im fine with that...

Sad news that the Premium is hard to get. The wireless was a perk but not needed i have a nice home network and i can just run some cat6 to the thing...

how well does the USB hard drive work with the elite? i figured the sata drive in the premium would be better at recording the larger HD channels and thats why i wanted the premium... that and a nice built in 1000gb sata drive would be great.

Does the AZbox have a line in system connected to the DVR? if they dont sell the ATSC tuner for it yet i would atleast like to be able to record my ATSC channels with a video in/out option...

they really didnt have alot of information on the website about the AZbox... no real prices or where to find the additional tuner cards... i can see it has the capablity but if its not supported yet thats a bummer.

Before you buy that 90 cm dish, look around, you might find a 1m Channel Master or a BUD.

i already said i cant go very large do to where im at... i would love to just snatch up a BUD and be done with it but untill i move i dont have that option... im thinking the max i can go is between 36-48 max... the 48 inch would be pushing it though due to community restraints.

Last edited:
after looking at the AZbox not having blind scan im not sure i want to start out with it... being new at this i would like to eliminate as much human error as possible...

What would be another receiver that would be easy to navigate all the sats and still get the most available channels with blind scan? I don't care if it is HD or has a PVR... something that will help me get my setup up and running well and easily.

It will need DiSEQc 1.2 or higher because i do plan on staying with a motorized setup... once i get the setup up and running i might up it to a PVR HD style box later...

Its sad that nothing has all the features... no wonder you guys have so many setups...lol

Coolsat 5000 & 6000 are great boxes, no HD & PVR, but great motor control and nice menus and functionality.

You can easily get either of those (used) for around $50 shipped.

I have to discourage you from trying to combine Dish or Direct with FTA.
I have Dish, and their receivers need access to all the birds all the time to function correctly.
If you'll go with a standard installation, they'll deliver, install, and hook up a proper dish for you.

If you insist on buying your own hardware, we have a Gold Sponsor, DishStore, who supplies all the required goodies.
You might ask Claude about some sort of package deal for a new customer, but how DishNetwork will treat a self-installed system today, I dont know.
They used to give you a big discount if you did it all yourself.

thanks for the tip... i have an old dish already on my roof with wires ran... its an old 18 incher dual LBN i think. I also have a 24 incher in my garage with a quad LBNF... so if it is easier to just leave them solid i dont have to do anything its already set up. Normally i salvage the old dishes to make Wifi Dishes instead. So i have some experience with parabolic equations getting a good focal point and what not...

I just wanted to eliminate some of the cost by purchasing my own equipment. I know that's normally the only way you can get on their systems without signing contracts correct? i already have the dish i would just need a receiver and they are easy enough to find.

I've seen some nice tutorials on setting up a motorized FTA setup. The only thing im unclear on is LNBF adjustment... so far most the company's selling full motorized kits recommend leaving the LNBF in the 0 degree position because the rotation of the dish can eliminate the need for LNBF adjustment.

Is this true or should i expect to tweak for a while? I know this will be a daunting task never doing it before...lol but i will read up as best i can before i order anything and hopefully be able to get it going over a weekend. I's still researching receivers for the FTA but beyond that its just the grunt work i guess...

Do most these linux receivers work in basically the same way? they seem to be a bit pricier with all kinds of extra bells and whistles, but i wouldn't mind the networking capability and sharing downloaded music and videos from the computer aswell...

If you go for the motorized setup, you won't have to worry about the skew>the movement of the motorshaft takes care of 'skewing' the entire dish/lnbf as it moves. You setup at due south, skew the lnbf at zero, and then adjust/tweak the motor to track the satellite arc. Once you get the hang of it, not too difficult.

I have to second phlatwound's suggestion of a Coolsat to start with. :up As he pointed out, the prices are very reasonable. I've seen used boxes going for as little as $20 on ebay.

I bought a Coolsat 7000 for my starter system back in 07' and have not regretted it one bit. The added time machine and dvr function of the 7000 or 7100 is also something to consider. They don't seem to sell for much more than the 5000 and 6000's do, so for maybe another $10 or $20 you can pause live tv and record on an external hard drive (if you have one). :)

im thinking the max i can go is between 36-48 max... the 48 inch would be pushing it though due to community restraints.

Federal law (OTARD) forbids the restriction of any dish 1 meter in size and under by any community or HOA. So you're safe up to and including 1 meter...

pay-TV dishes:

.. i have an old dish already on my roof with wires ran... its an old 18 incher dual LBN i think. I also have a 24 incher in my garage with a quad LBNF... so if it is easier to just leave them solid i dont have to do anything its already set up.

I just wanted to eliminate some of the cost by purchasing my own equipment. I know that's normally the only way you can get on their systems without signing contracts correct? i already have the dish i would just need a receiver and they are easy enough to find.
Used pay-TV receivers -can- sometimes be a problem.
You have to have clear title to them, or a release from the previous owner.
And, if there is any outstanding debt on them (unpaid pay-per-view movies, for instance), that has to be cleared.

As for the dishes, over the years, there have been dozens of combinations deployed across the country, to receive whatever birds were in use for that year.
User choice of International, Local, or Hi Def programming can require different dishes, as well as east-coast vs west-coast location.
Which receivers and which dishes would be best for you, would be beyond the scope of the FTA Department to recommend.
We do have a DirecTV and a DishNetwork forum area, and they could help you choose a suitable dish, either from your collection, or one to be on the lookout for.
Do most these linux receivers work in basically the same way?
There are only a few on the market, and I don't think they have any more in common than any other set top boxes.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)