Combining Services to save Money

Most modern TVs (those purchased in the last six or seven years) can tune Comcast's HD locals without any special adapters.

If you want to seriously cut something in cost, consider replacing Vonage. There are services that cost considerably less.

Most modern TVs (those purchased in the last six or seven years) can tune Comcast's HD locals without any special adapters.

If you want to seriously cut something in cost, consider replacing Vonage. There are services that cost considerably less.

Comcast is in process of encrypting all channels, including the HD locals. They just did it here and they are doing it all over the country....

Cheaper Internet from Comcast

To get cheaper internet from Comcast you just have to call and get the loyalty dept., then tell them it is too expensive. If you have lost your job tell them you have to have internet to job search but Comcast is too expensive. Also have ready the prices of ATT Uverse or a competing service. If that person turns you down call back and talk to somebody else, keep trying until you get somebody that will give you a much cheaper rate. I pay almost half of what you guys have said you pay. Yes, I have to call back every 6 months but I do and keep calling until I get that low rate.

Just out of curiosity where did you pick up a TiVo premier with lifetime service for $150?. The least expensive buy it now on eBay is $440.00, auction is not much better. I think most folks that are selling a TIVO premier with lifetime are looking to get the investment in lifetime service back...if that is the case I don't see the price comming down all that much....just my opinion.

Sent via Tapatalk

$440 is way too expensive. You can find them for sale at the Tivo Community forums for $300 - $350 w/lifetime.

I admit I got lucky finding it so cheap. Ironically, the guy was switching to DirecTV from Comcast.

I have gotten into the Tivo game rather cheaply. I bought a 80 gb Series 2 w/lifetime last fall for $50 and connected it to our bedroom set (32" crt) for ota. I then received an offer from Tivo to purchase a refurb 500gb 2-tuner Premiere w/lifetime and a wirelsss N adaptor for a little over $500. I then found the 320gb Premiere for $150 and I recently purchased Tivo HD w 1tb hdd and lifetime for $200. The one big advantage buying Tivo's compared to using provider-owned equipment is that I can take it with me to any cable provider or even use them strictly for ota use and I won't lose my older recordings.

So I have the entire house set-up with dvr's now for the same monthly fee I paid for a 722K. The two Premieres have cable cards ($7 total lease fee) on the living room and basement TV's. The Series 2 is still in the bedroom, but I have a cable DTA (no charge yet) connected to it and the Tivo HD is connected to my older son's tv, but is ota only. The 2 Premieres can stream shows between themselves and the Tivo HD can transfer recordings from the other three Tivo's and the 2 Premieres can transfer recordings from the Series 2 and HD (Series 2 models can't get HD recordings from the newer models). And I can always transfer recordings to my HTPC, which is also a Tivo Desktop server, for long-term storage.

I admit that the cable provider I subscribe to, doesn't have as many channels as Dish, but most of the channels I'm not getting are either sports or Spanish language (of which I don't really miss). They have a simplified 2-tier package subscription, and I have the lower tier package. I'm saving around $38 per month compared to AT200 plus internet/phone from the same provider.

Buy a Roku for $40 , Netflix, and you can cut your bill to almost nothing.

Sure , but you get no live programming which consists of the majority of my TV viewing. Not a movie fan . Only occasionally do I watch movies . Also , no local programming and I cannot get OVA in my area not even with the best outside antenna. So I have to have paid TV service either cable or satellite.

m

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts