Combining then splitting Cable signal to living room

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jerseyfla

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 7, 2006
Georgia
I moved to a new house and had Basic Cable (Locals only) for only the Super Bowl since our surrounding NBC stations don't reach Biloxi via antenna and my dish wouldn't be installed until the next week. Well the satellite got installed and the guy asked if I wanted to keep cable, like a dummy I said no but I am keeping cable for internet. Well I find out yesterday that with just cable internet alone and no tv subscription I can pull in a couple of stations that Cableone provides that DIRECTV does not. How do I go about combining the two signals and then splitting them at the TV. The guy installed a SWM 4 output splitter.

You can't combine cable and satellite signals on the same wire. They don't play well together!

Thanks guys. If I call the cable company to get Basic Cable and they see the Satellite setup, does this mean they have to run new coax to the living room (room wanting the extra local channels)? I couldn't use an A/B switch could I?

Simple answer; no. I doubt an A/B switch would work at the frequencies needed for your satellite connection and leaving an unterminated connection might (probably would) cause your SWM signal to have problems. Moreover, your coax connections will have different terminations. Your satellite coax goes to your D* box and your cable coax goes to your TV. So, again an A/B won't work. You will need the additional coax.

yes the cable co will need to run a separate coax into the living room, and most likely you would be charged for the installation of that line with only a limited basic instal. you could however try your luck with a swm approved active diplexor and do what you are wanting to do, these are expensive creatures last I looked into them, and I have never personally tried one.

Status
Please reply by conversation.