Combining Two Antennas

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

coloradosat

Original poster
Jan 25, 2009
Northern Colorado
Hi, there-

I am smack in the middle of two DMAs. Right now, I have a coat hangar special in the attic pointed towards Denver with good results. I have just ordered a CM-2020 for the outside to better pull-in KUSA 9 and KBDI. Once I get the 2020 installed, I am going to flip the coat hangar towards Cheyenne since it seems to work for pulling a few stations in, including KGWN 5.

My question. What piece of equipment will work best for combining the coat hangar and 2020?

Thanks!

tv_antenna_setup.jpg

You do not want to combine two different antennas operating on the same band, especially if they are in different directions, they will tend to radiate signal out froeach other and less will go to your TV.

In this situation run seperate cables from both antennas to the TV and get an RF switch to select between them.

My question. What piece of equipment will work best for combining the coat hangar and 2020?

If the signals are strong enough and there are no reflections a backwards splitter may work. To know for sure it's best to look at the signals levels at your house using TVfcool.com.

In order to get away with a backwards splitter all signals must have a noise margin of at least 10 db and plan on a preamp. If all the signals have a NM of 30 db or more, you won't need a preamp. If any signals are above about 60 db NM the use of a preamp will prevent reception of some stations.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts