Comcast channel lineup is ....

So I heard X1 has that auto HD feature, never used an X1 though. Are you saying that with it enabled (which I think is the default), even if you select the lower number to record, it doesn't auto switch to HD? Or are you talking about TiVo?

From my understanding the TiVo update just adds a little notification on SD channels telling the user to push a button to view it in HD. FIOS and cable's I-guide have this feature too.

So I heard X1 has that auto HD feature, never used an X1 though. Are you saying that with it enabled (which I think is the default), even if you select the lower number to record, it doesn't auto switch to HD? Or are you talking about TiVo?

From my understanding the TiVo update just adds a little notification on SD channels telling the user to push a button to view it in HD. FIOS and cable's I-guide have this feature too.

Correct. So on your guide when you select record something in the guide on channel 9 SD.. it will record on channel 9SD. Now if you want to record it in HD you need to jump the guide to the HD channel of the SD like 653 and select the program to record.

Now X1 does have auto tune HD, so if you are not in the guide, just on tv and you push 9 and okay.. it will auto tune to 653 or the HD version of the SD if it exists.

So if you type in 9 on X1 with the feature enabled, it will display the HD number 653 in this example, or on screen will it show channel 9, just with an HD picture. What happens if you enter the lower channel number like 9 in this case, it displays it in HD, but you hit channel up. Does it go to channel 10 or does it go to channel 654 (assuming that's the next highest number)?

Sounds like Time Warner and Cablevision's implementation is better. HD box gets a completely different HD prioritized channel map.

So here is a video of it. Going to channel 9 auto tunes you to he HD channel. In the guide or just entering the channel number.

The part that really chaps my ass is the HD locals aren't even in order. So when you channel up in HD at 653 and up... They don't match the Sd order.

Also, as you can see if you go to he guide and select the program to record at channel 9 it will record the SD version not the HD version. So basically you have to remember the new channel order on HD and forget the SD order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So to as to why do they not have a national lineup consistent across the US. He said because of the different frequency each market uses and when the cable system was acquired by Comcast. When they buy a company , the cable system doesn't change much like the channel lineup. This is also frustrating as they change the order of some of the locals. For example ( in Denver) fox 31 is channel 13. Channel 20 is 5 on Comcast. I don't see the point in his. Why?

Basically Comcast is ran like 3- 20 different companies in one. The company is divided up in 3 divisions .. West division, Central division and northeast division. Each division has its own president. Within each market every area or city has its own market. Such as greater Chicago market or mile high market in Denver. Each market has their own prices and offers and select channels.

On top of that each product like cable, Internet, phone etc has their own chairman that reports to ceo Brian Roberts.

So there is a lot of confusion for employees and customers, and it doesn't look like there is much rush or reason for them to unify the company under consistent rate plans, channel lineups and policy.

What happens if you enter the lower channel number like 9 in this case, it displays it in HD, but you hit channel up. Does it go to channel 10 or does it go to channel 654 (assuming that's the next highest number)?
Does the channel up button really see that much activity anymore? With the advent of subchannels, even my OTA viewing doesn't see me using channel up anymore.

So to as to why do they not have a national lineup consistent across the US. He said because of the different frequency each market uses and when the cable system was acquired by Comcast. When they buy a company , the cable system doesn't change much like the channel lineup. This is also frustrating as they change the order of some of the locals. For example ( in Denver) fox 31 is channel 13. Channel 20 is 5 on Comcast. I don't see the point in his. Why?
You posted the answer to your question as a preface to asking it.

Comcast has a long history of mapping down locals so that they could use simple band traps to provide lifeline service in the VHF band. Now that they no longer offer analog channels they could change that, but why?

Why does Micro$oft still include Internet Explorer as an integral part of Windows even in the face of multiple successful lawsuits from foreign governments?

Comcast has a long history of mapping down locals so that they could use simple band traps to provide lifeline service in the VHF band. Now that they no longer offer analog channels they could change that, but why?

I'm not sure I understand. Can you explain this.

Also, my answer to the question is after researching this website forums and others, is what brought me the conclusion. The fact they can change it but, why? It's too much work for little benefit.

Well that's nice they map to HD but it seems half assed. Two separate channel numbers is just confusing. So glad things are very simple and straightforward with DirecTV.

On the other hand I like the flow to that X1. It reminds me of Xbox. Things have a smooth animation and liquid feel to it. In essence it conveys a feeling of a snappy UI vs Directv when you push a button you wait until you see something just "appear".

Reactions: CrimsonKnightDX
Well that's nice they map to HD but it seems half assed. Two separate channel numbers is just confusing. So glad things are very simple and straightforward with DirecTV.

On the other hand I like the flow to that X1. It reminds me of Xbox. Things have a smooth animation and liquid feel to it. In essence it conveys a feeling of a snappy UI vs Directv when you push a button you wait until you see something just "appear".

I absolutely agree with your whole statement. As a former DirecTV and dish network customer, I agree. The next one is very slick it's smooth and is a huge leap forward for Comcast. Just a few things like the channel mapping and the way that the system handles it, and it would be a lot better off. They are going in the right direction however.

I'm not sure I understand. Can you explain this.
Back in the day, Comcast made 13 or so channels available for $10+/- per month and they put them all down in the VHF band (2-13). To keep subscribers from getting other clear channels, they would install a band-pass filter that would block frequencies above the lifeline range. Now that they don't offer analog channels anymore, that need is gone.
The fact they can change it but, why? It's too much work for little benefit.
I doubt that it involves any extra work at all. The only thing they would have to change to fix it would be a revision of the channel mapping table. Once they updated the table and pushed it out to the STBs/TVs, the numbering would be redone and the guide services (Tribune, TiVo, TitanTV) would transition more or less seamlessly based on the revised table.

I believe, based on my own rationalization, that the asinine channel maps are being used uniquely as a tool to make using third party DVRs onerous.

Reactions: CrimsonKnightDX
I always figured Comcast didn't mess with the channel mapping because long time customers would call and complain that "Channel 31 isn't on channel 31! Why'd you move it to channel 65?!"

I always figured Comcast didn't mess with the channel mapping because long time customers would call and complain that "Channel 31 isn't on channel 31! Why'd you move it to channel 65?!"

I'm sure people would be upset if they changed it, even for the better. There are some people you can never please or just don't like change period.

Reactions: jegrant
That can't be nearly as problematic as having to explain why the HD version of a channel is located 700 some odd channels away from the OTA channel number and subchannels scattered willy-nilly.

I think Comcast really doesn't care if viewers can find subchannels, because they likely only carry them due to either the national PBS contract or as part of a deal to get other major network programming that Comcast finds desirable (Big 4 networks). Now, as far as the HD feeds, yeah, you'd think they'd at least make those easy to find and use.

I think once they go to full IP streaming on the x1, the channel lineup will be much better. I think the channels are all over the place because of each cable system in each area using QAM.

Just my guess.

They've had the ability to fix it since they went all digital but have inexplicably chosen not to.

Maybe it is an issue with having so many subcontractors in the mix that the right hand doesn't know what the left has been doing.
Even before all digital they had ADS and with digital channels can be mapped any where. Other cable systems had better channel lay outs and auto HD for years.

Comcast stills has it's old pre Comcast maps in each area. QAM does stop them from changing channel numbers. But there may be some other limits due to the old iguide and old DCT2000 era boxes still in use.

That can't be nearly as problematic as having to explain why the HD version of a channel is located 700 some odd channels away from the OTA channel number and subchannels scattered willy-nilly.

Still better then having HBO HD right next to local OTA channels and Cinemax HD 2 away from Disney channel HD.

The channel mapping is all done in software. It could easily be fixed but they are "too big to fail" so I don't know if you'll ever see it fixed. TWC went into a national channel lineup, and I'm not sure if that project is complete or still underway. 1-99 stayed the same, not to confuse people, but channels 100 and up remain constant throughout their national footprint. If there happens to be a channel exclusive to an area, that number is just skipped over in other area's or maybe a different RSN is in an "rsn slot".

Another nice thing TWC has done is in software if the equipment is set to output 720 or 1080, it automatically tunes the HD stream. So even if TNT is channel 24 for example, and HD box tunes TNT HD simply by typing in that simple number (like DirecTV).

Passport Echo software has an addon feature for HD Auto tune as well. Not as many cable operators offer it though. Dual HD/SD channel maps can be configured for SARA guides as well. I used to think it was not possible at all with the blue i-Guide (Comcasts default system), but I found a YouTube video showing that it is possible to HD Auto tune using I-Guide. It was a Charter system. X1 has the ability though to automatically tune in HD feed. It's all up to the cable operator what they offer. I personally like a cleaner, more organized, easier to use HD system so I stick with DirecTV. I'll leave cable for what they are best at... Internet service. Comcast is leading in IPv6, DOCSIS 3.1 trials and constantly pushing the envelope with speed upgrades. TWC has been far more advanced offering much more HD, ethnic channels, Switched Digital Video, 860 MHz systems, OCAP software, auto-hd, etc... I think maybe thats what Comcast eyed during that failed merger attempt. Comcast could have used TWC's video engineers expertise because Comcast doesn't have much at all. TWC could have used Comcast's internet engineers expertise as well for IPV6 and leading the way with DOCSIS 3.1. But that merger failed and was not approved. We will have to see if Comcast can fend for themselves. Maybe they see the writing is on the wall and the future is not TV... its Internet and streaming. Maybe that is why they put the majority of their investment there.
Comcast can make more systems at least 860 MHz but likely they don't want to pay the cost to do that. SDV may of needed more node splits and more head end hardware. Now they are going MPEG4 and compressing the sh*t of out it. 10 channels in 1 QAM = lower bit rates then att uverse.

As a new comcast sub I am trying to get use to the new channel numbers. I've been OTA for 2 years and Dish/Directv for 10 years before that.

Whats even goofier is they COULD line up the HD numbers at least the locals to match the SD numbers (but in different range) but they don't. Well the Big 4 + PBS + the Independent station they do
2,4,5,9,11 are 802,804,805,809,811 . The indy station (45) is on 12 & 812.

but the other locals are all goofy
Ion is on 20 SD 803 HD (actual channel is 41 but UHF stations they always put between 2-23)
My is on 10 SD and 807 HD (29)
CW is on 8 SD and 808 HD (23)....OK they got that right
2nd PBS is on 13 SD and 800 HD (17)...this one is odd spot

They also have some HD stations in multiple spots. CNN is on 423 & 842 in HD (I'm sure its the same stream...just mapped twice)
HBO is in THREE spots (301, 416,900) but HBO2 is only on 901

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts