Comcast digital box question

mdanderson

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 3, 2004
Garland,Tx.
I recently signed up for Comcast in the Dallas area and I was wondering about the HD digital box that they will be installing next week. What type of digital audio out does it have-coax, optical or both. The other question is on the video out connections. Will it be DVI, component or both? I want to make sure I have the right cables on hand or maybe all the necessary cables will come with the installation. The box that I will be getting is a HD single tuner box because they are out of the dvrs with dual tuners. Thanks for any input.

Matt

The Motorola HD Dual Tuner boxes have optical and RCA audio outs. In regards to video, there are component, RCA, and DVI outs. I have not tested the ports so I am not sure if you can output from more than one port at a time.

I currently use the component out for video and optical out for audio. I need to get a DVI to HDMI converter as my TV has only HDMI and component inputs.

Your welcome! I heard a new box is coming with HDMI ports soon. I also heard about an external hard drive, 7 more HD channels by year end, and TNT-HD being added today.

I just bought a Tivo DVD-recorder which I will set up tomorrow and test some of the additional ports. If interested, I can update you on any findings.

Motorola and sound

skakusha said:
The Motorola HD Dual Tuner boxes have optical and RCA audio outs. In regards to video, there are component, RCA, and DVI outs. I have not tested the ports so I am not sure if you can output from more than one port at a time.

I currently use the component out for video and optical out for audio. I need to get a DVI to HDMI converter as my TV has only HDMI and component inputs.

Guess I'll be using the DVI to HDMI cable that my Voom installer sold to me (come Saturday Comcast install). I compared it with Component on Voom box (not sure if it is better but I use it). I hear that DVI and HDMI video performance deteriorate with lenghth of cable (don't know if the same is true for Component). My question, is your sound syncronized with your video or is there a delay that I heard about in another thread with the DCT-6412? Thanks! Wayne

Motorola DCT 6412

The Comcast (Motorola DCT 6412) dual turner DVR will drive both DVI and component video at the same time. I have been A/B comparing the two and haven’t noticed a substantial difference. I’m viewing on a 50” Samsung DLP. By the way in addition to optical audio out it also supports digital coaxial.

Am I reading this right, the Moto 6412 HD-DVR doesn't have an s-video out? Just DVI, component, and RCA.

Carl B said:
Am I reading this right, the Moto 6412 HD-DVR doesn't have an s-video out? Just DVI, component, and RCA.

Carl,
The Motorola 6412 does have s-video out. I looked at the picture of the back on their web site.

I had the Motorola 6412 installed on Sat. I have component running from the 6412 to my receiver, which runs to my DVD and then back to my HDTV. The quality of the analogue channels is not good. Is there a setting in the 6412 receiver I can adjust to correct this, or is this the way it is? Also, when switching channels, i encounter wavey lines prior to the new channel coming on. The installer indicated that is was the 6412 receiver comverting form 1080i to 480, etc. Is this correct?

Thanks

I too see the resolution switching.. It sucks but what are you gonna do?? I just wonder how fast it's going to burn up by switching back and forth all the time.!

sabo2 said:
I had the Motorola 6412 installed on Sat. I have component running from the 6412 to my receiver, which runs to my DVD and then back to my HDTV. The quality of the analogue channels is not good. Is there a setting in the 6412 receiver I can adjust to correct this, or is this the way it is? Also, when switching channels, i encounter wavey lines prior to the new channel coming on. The installer indicated that is was the 6412 receiver comverting form 1080i to 480, etc. Is this correct?

Thanks

If you go into the menu with the digital box off, you can change the "4:3 overide to 480i, 480p or off. I tried all three but it made no difference in the analog channels. I ended up leaving it at 480p. I do use the DVI output on the Comcast box and it works good for all channels even though some analog are not that good.

mdanderson said:
If you go into the menu with the digital box off, you can change the "4:3 overide to 480i, 480p or off. I tried all three but it made no difference in the analog channels. I ended up leaving it at 480p. I do use the DVI output on the Comcast box and it works good for all channels even though some analog are not that good.
In 4:3 Override, I have another setting 'stretch' which works the best for me for both Analog and Digital. I have a 1080i native TV and the stretch feeds 1080i to TV (upscaling in the receiver) thus not requiring the TV to scale anything. YMMV.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)