Comcast/Peacock vs Roku

I am very happy with my Apple TV 4k in the Living Room. I am seriously considering putting one each of the other TVs with Firesticks (the current primary streaming device) as backups. I haven't powered on a Roku in months.

Yeah I just got that.

I wish ROKU would go back to just being a platform where anyone could stream.
Sure, but Roku didn't consolidate itself into a behemoth content creator/provider. Comcast has a notorious history with control over the distribution of its content and now they are again taking options away from consumers. Comcast is abusing the power it has over the amount of content they control now.

Again, consolidation leads to higher prices, fewer options, and lower distribution.

The difference now it Roku wants a piece of the pie. They want the content providers to pay them for people watching using their Roku.

This is why Roku does not have Peacock or HBO Max.

Roku use to make their money by selling hardware... now they want money from the programmers.

Yes, Roku has a modified business model and they want a piece of the streaming bucks.

Didn't AT&T want Dish to have everyone pay for HBO?

Yes, Roku has a modified business model and they want a piece of the streaming bucks.

Didn't AT&T want Dish to have everyone pay for HBO?

AT&T wanted Dish to pay for a minimum number of subs, well in excess of historical subscription levels.

Reactions: Yespage
I am very happy with my Apple TV 4k in the Living Room. I am seriously considering putting one each of the other TVs with Firesticks (the current primary streaming device) as backups. I haven't powered on a Roku in months.
So, that remote you mentioned is working out with the Apple TV? I absolutely hate the remote that comes with the Apple TV.

So, that remote you mentioned is working out with the Apple TV? I absolutely hate the remote that comes with the Apple TV.
Yes. The only thing that I have run into is, with the HBO Max app, if I press Select (middle of D-pad) to skip an intro, it pauses playback. I cannot seem to figure out how to skip intros in that one app.

Reactions: mackie99
The difference now it Roku wants a piece of the pie. They want the content providers to pay them for people watching using their Roku.

This is why Roku does not have Peacock or HBO Max.

Roku use to make their money by selling hardware... now they want money from the programmers.

All Roku wants is a piece of advertising and/or subscriptions, the same deal that all the other content providers ( Hulu, Disney, Netflix, even HBO before Max) agreed to.

Roku has to make money just like any other TV provider does, also TV providers get a monthly fee from subscribers which Roku does not.

And while HBO and Peacock is on Apple TV, do we really believe that Apple is not getting their share of money, I read anywhere from 20-30% of paid content.

All Roku wants is a piece of advertising and/or subscriptions, the same deal that all the other content providers ( Hulu, Disney, Netflix, even HBO before Max) agreed to.

Roku has to make money just like any other TV provider does, also TV providers get a monthly fee from subscribers which Roku does not.

And while HBO and Peacock is on Apple TV, do we really believe that Apple is not getting their share of money, I read anywhere from 20-30% of paid content.

Reportedly, the sticking point with Roku and Amazon is the revenue share from in-app subscriptions. Revenue from existing HBO subscribers was supposedly split 50/50. That is even more ridiculous than Apple and Google's 30% share.

Roku used to make money by selling hardware, and they probably still would if nothing had changed. Then they started making money by selling ads and behavioral data, but that wasn't enough, so now they are extorting everyone for a cut of their business. In the mean time, their software has gotten very buggy. They have lost their way, and they have pretty much lost me as a customer in the process.

With all that said AT&T and Universal are just as bad in these kinds of dealings.

Reportedly, the sticking point with Roku and Amazon is the revenue share from in-app subscriptions. Revenue from existing HBO subscribers was supposedly split 50/50. That is even more ridiculous than Apple and Google's 30% share.

Roku used to make money by selling hardware, and they probably still would if nothing had changed. Then they started making money by selling ads and behavioral data, but that wasn't enough, so now they are extorting everyone for a cut of their business. In the mean time, their software has gotten very buggy. They have lost their way, and they have pretty much lost me as a customer in the process.

With all that said AT&T and Universal are just as bad in these kinds of dealings.
Their software is intentionally buggy...atleast thats been my experiece..why?... so you have to upgrade to the latest greatest...they used to have bad power supplies.. i have had roku since the first box came out..its very easy and simple...if you need a vpn..go with firetv..aint happening with a roku

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: ncted
The remote DOES take getting used to. Fortunately, I use a Harmony.

Reactions: Bobby
I am told that a deal has been made between Roku and NBCUniversal.

We will see Peacock coming shortly to the Roku platform.

Stand by for official details shortly.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys
IMO, Who Cares! HBO Max is another matter, and why I bought Apple Tv...and glad I did for many reasons.

Reactions: ncted

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)