Comcast/Peacock vs Roku

Amen to that. The Apple remote sux.... I will use it occasionally for voice command though much as I do with the Dish 54 remote.
I do keep it handy for the 10 second skip witch is a blutooth command.

Dear Roku Customer,

We’re pleased to tell you that Peacock, the new streaming service from Comcast’s NBCUniversal division will be coming to Roku. We will also continue to offer access to NBCU’s TV Everywhere apps that let pay TV subscribers stream cable channels on the Roku platform.

Reaching fair agreements with content partners supports the development of our platform, funds innovation and allows us to bring you exceptionally low-cost streaming players and TVs and the vast selection of free content found in Featured Free and The Roku Channel.

We are committed to ensuring that you get the very best streaming experience we can provide.

Happy Streaming!™

Roku

I liked Android TV fine when I tried the Shield. I am not a fan of the standard launcher due to the small icon sizes. It was fine on the big TV in the living room, but smaller TVs elsewhere had marginal visibility to my 46-year old eyes. At least you can change the launcher on some Android TV boxes -- not sure about Sony TVs. Also, there is YouTube on AppleTV, but no AppleTV+ on Android TV without using a browser.

I like Apple TV in part because of the lack of any need to do any serious customization to get it to work smoothly and easily (aside from the remote, which I finally found a cheap third party solution for that). I work all day on computers doing highly involved customization for scientific research. When I get home, I just want to turn something on, and have it work without a significant level of customization or workarounds.

So happy I have moved on to Android TV.

I like my Apple TV 4K but will probably buy the upcoming Chromcast with Google TV and try it out.

Google-Chromecast-mit-Google-TV-1600431241-0-12.jpg

image source: Chromecast mit Google TV: Das ist der Android-Stick für den Fernseher

Google TV is basically their new brand name for Android TV. Same OS, except it will have a new launcher (home screen) UI that's more content-focused rather than app-focused. The mock-ups that leaked out are very nice -- Google clearly seems to have been influenced by Apple's UI designs in the Apple TV app.

Android-TV-New-UI-Watermarked-2.jpg

image source: Exclusive: This is Google's Android TV dongle, remote, and new UI

The big question, though, is how much cooperation Google TV will see from the app providers, particularly whether they will participate in the Play Next universal watchlist. Pretty much every app but Netflix participates in the similar feature in the Apple TV app on Apple TV boxes. For a content-oriented UI to work, it needs broad support from the content suppliers. Otherwise, the user is just forced to go directly into each app in order to browse and maintain separate watchlists.

At any rate, it will definitely support HBO Max and Peacock. The device is supposed to handle 4K and the three big HDR formats (HDR10, Dolby Vision and HLG). Rumored price is $50.

The difference now it Roku wants a piece of the pie. They want the content providers to pay them for people watching using their Roku.

This is why Roku does not have Peacock or HBO Max.

Roku use to make their money by selling hardware... now they want money from the programmers.
Doesn't Firestick do the same ?

I like my Apple TV 4K but will probably buy the upcoming Chromcast with Google TV and try it out.

View attachment 147740
image source: Chromecast mit Google TV: Das ist der Android-Stick für den Fernseher

Google TV is basically their new brand name for Android TV. Same OS, except it will have a new launcher (home screen) UI that's more content-focused rather than app-focused. The mock-ups that leaked out are very nice -- Google clearly seems to have been influenced by Apple's UI designs in the Apple TV app.

View attachment 147739
image source: Exclusive: This is Google's Android TV dongle, remote, and new UI

The big question, though, is how much cooperation Google TV will see from the app providers, particularly whether they will participate in the Play Next universal watchlist. Pretty much every app but Netflix participates in the similar feature in the Apple TV app on Apple TV boxes. For a content-oriented UI to work, it needs broad support from the content suppliers. Otherwise, the user is just forced to go directly into each app in order to browse and maintain separate watchlists.

At any rate, it will definitely support HBO Max and Peacock. The device is supposed to handle 4K and the three big HDR formats (HDR10, Dolby Vision and HLG). Rumored price is $50.
So, answer me this if you know ...
I have Android TV on my Sony ... with the Google TV coming out, is the Google TV taking over the Sony Android or is it something entirely separate ?

I have finally got my parents to START to understand how Streaming works on thier Sony TV, I hope I don't have to go over and introduce them to Googles version that would be entirely different ...

Doesn't Firestick do the same ?

Amazon likely never made any direct profit on the Firestick. It is a content enablement platform for them to make money on advertising, data collection, and in-app purchases, and it always has been. They sell it at or below cost. It is likely part of the reason Roku decided to get into the same business lines and stop just selling widgets -- which was probably your point.

So, answer me this if you know ...
I have Android TV on my Sony ... with the Google TV coming out, is the Google TV taking over the Sony Android or is it something entirely separate ?

I have finally got my parents to START to understand how Streaming works on thier Sony TV, I hope I don't have to go over and introduce them to Googles version that would be entirely different ...

Short answer: I don't know.

Android TV as it exists now (on smart TVs from Sony and Hisense, as well as streaming devices like the Nvidia Shield TV, TiVo Stream 4K, and Mi Box S) actually is from Google. It's Google's operating system, it's their UI, it uses their Google Play app store.

The question now is if Google is going to completely rebrand Android TV into Google TV, and allow those third-party devices to update to the new Google TV UI, or if Google is going to keep this new Google TV exclusive to their own new Chromecast device. (If mobile phones are anything to go by, Google likes to debut new features and UI enhancements first on their own Pixel phones but then eventually tends to make them available to other Android phone manufacturers too.)

And even if Google does allow Sony (and other manufacturers) to update their devices to the new Google TV, that doesn't necessarily mean that Sony will opt to do so. Smart TV manufacturers are particularly lax about updating their operating system. So even if Sony ends up using Google TV, it may only be on their new 2020 model TVs and those going forward. Or maybe they update back to 2019 models but no further back.

No one really knows yet.

That said, there shouldn't be a change in how the individual apps work. They'll be the same apps, whether they're on "Android TV" or "Google TV". If your parents have to deal with a change, it'll just be in what the home screen looks like.

Reactions: Jimbo
If I had to guess, I’d say they are just going to rebrand Android tv to Google tv and maybe tweak the UI a tad.

That said, it’s google. Their track record of changing things and discarding things is well known.

Considering there was already a poorly received and executed Google Tv product, and that Android Tv is pretty solid at this point, I’m a little surprised that they are changing it. Again.

Reactions: ncted and TheKrell
Dear Roku Customer,

We’re pleased to tell you that Peacock, the new streaming service from Comcast’s NBCUniversal division will be coming to Roku. We will also continue to offer access to NBCU’s TV Everywhere apps that let pay TV subscribers stream cable channels on the Roku platform.

Reaching fair agreements with content partners supports the development of our platform, funds innovation and allows us to bring you exceptionally low-cost streaming players and TVs and the vast selection of free content found in Featured Free and The Roku Channel.

We are committed to ensuring that you get the very best streaming experience we can provide.

Happy Streaming!™

Roku

Yes indeed!!! I added Peacock today (9/21). Finally I can navigate the app a lot better. On the computer of side loading on the Fire Stick, the app was clunky to use. I am glad it is on Roku....

I am using the Flex, and have to admit I am impressed by the content. Not only can you access NBC programing, but view live sports, Watched the Royals play the other night, without an MLB sub. And can watch Premier League Soccer through it. I paid for NBC Gold for that last year. Since I already had their Xfinity internet and got the flex and the sub to Peacock Prime for FREE! To me free is good!

I counted them up the other day, with Pluto & XUMO at the top with the number of free services, add in STIRR, Roku, Peacock, and a bunch more of smaller streaming apps that give access to something like a free mini cable system, there are close to 20 available. All for free. No wonder so many have cut the cord. According to TV Technology, we may be up to over 50 million cord cutters in the next few years. Pay TV subs are dropping at a faster rate than ever now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)