Comcast wants to buy Roku

Reactions: comfortably_numb
Yes. Not the Roku interface at all.

Nice, but I can’t delete YT videos on my Sony. And no comments etc.

I mean... the only way I would personally think this might be acceptable is if Comcast agrees to continue to distribute all apps and programming that they give to Roku, to any other device / operating system, on equitable terms. No "special backroom deals" for Roku - they have to compete / deal on the same basis as Apple, Amazon, Google, etc. Also, they would need to continue to allow apps such as Locast, Sling, YouTube, etc. on Roku on equitable terms. No "let's remove Locast because they compete with us". That said, I doubt Comcast would find any value in it, if these fair conditions were applied.

Reactions: navychop
No way! That would mean Comcast would have the programming, the distribution of programming, and the electronics for receiving programming. I'm quite certain this will be stopped by a FTC that is well footed in the 21st centu...

...oh wait...

...we're screwed. Any deal that would be a "compromise" would take away the reason for buying Roku in the first place.

Reactions: CyberSpock
I mean... the only way I would personally think this might be acceptable is if Comcast agrees to continue to distribute all apps and programming that they give to Roku, to any other device / operating system, on equitable terms. No "special backroom deals"

Please don't be this niave. If Comcast takes control of Roku it will be a disaster for the consumer.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: comfortably_numb
ROKU was invented to provide a way to stream netflix. Comcast wants to replace expensive set top boxes with a app in a customer owned ROKU..there are better streamers available ..Comcast would not bevcreating a monopy by buying ROKU..justcsaving money

No way! That would mean Comcast would have the programming, the distribution of programming, and the electronics for receiving programming. I'm quite certain this will be stopped by a FTC that is well footed in the 21st centu...

...oh wait...

...we're screwed. Any deal that would be a "compromise" would take away the reason for buying Roku in the first place.
Doesn't Comcast already have the programming, distribution, electronics on the cable side?

What do you bet the current "dispute" between Roku and YouTube TV isn't back room dealing already in the works. Roku is telling Comcast, look we will make it easy to eliminate your strongest competitor coming in the door.

Face it, the largest shareholders will make a fortune. This is the end game when starting a company. The final payoff.

What do you bet the current "dispute" between Roku and YouTube TV isn't back room dealing already in the works. Roku is telling Comcast, look we will make it easy to eliminate your strongest competitor coming in the door.

Face it, the largest shareholders will make a fortune. This is the end game when starting a company. The final payoff.

You can use your android or iphone to get around that...the roku is compatible with both for screens sharing

ROKU was invented to provide a way to stream netflix. Comcast wants to replace expensive set top boxes with a app in a customer owned ROKU..there are better streamers available ..Comcast would not bevcreating a monopy by buying ROKU..justcsaving money
Comcast already has a app on the Roku, you no longer need a STB if you have xfinity tv service, been that way for a few years.

Roku is a bunch of the better people from when TiVo wasn't a steaming pile. I would like to think they won't go down that path again.

In fact, it could be argued they didn't go down that path the first time. They saw the writing on the wall and got the hell out. If there's a mass exodus at Roku, THAT will be the time to panic.

Reactions: navychop

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts