Commercial DCII IRDs with C band provider

Status
Please reply by conversation.

emuman100

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 15, 2007
Pennsylvania
I'm curious, is it possible to get a Commercial dcII IRD activated, like a Motorola DSR-4410, by a C band provider like NPS? The reason why I got the DSR-4410 was because it had ASI output, and I wanted to connect it to a QAM modulator with ASI input, so I can have the original, untouched transport stream at any TV in my house with an ATSC/QAM tuner. Basically run my own private cable system with QAM channels, and get the first generation signal at every TV. The cheapest QAM modulator I found is from RL Drake.

Thanks.

Jonathan

It's not because the receiver is not capable but a "political" thing. They simply won't authorize a commercial unit for a private individual. You have to have a consumer grade 4DTV receiver. They can tell by the authorization number on the unit what it is.

They won't even authorize a canadian unit if it was mapable. The programmers are not hard up enough yet, you will see them change the rules when their bottom line get lean.

Even if you could get it activated, which you can't. You could only tune one mux per receiver. A commercial receiver isn't designed to authorize multiple services at the same time.

Well, I am out of luck then. The DSR-4410 manual says that if PID alias is set to on, it will only output the specific channels it's set on. With it off, the manual says it'll output the whole transport stream. It does not go into any detail at all. I suppose it will output the whole transport stream, because a lot of stations broadcast multiple channels in one multiplex, and to make it easy for the broadcaster, I suppose it'll output the whole transport stream so you wouldn't need a receiver for every channel in the multiplex, so it would be easier to provide, say, all of the channels provided by Music Choice into your digital headend system with just one IRD as opposed to 53 or so IRDs.

Thanks.

Jonathan

it is a bum deal, but it's like that in radio. A Starguide receiver is the major line of receivers used in syndicated radio.

You can buy a Starguide, but you better be part of a radio station when calling to authorize a service!! They want those serial #'s. If the serials don't match your calls (call letters) then they won't help you.

P.S. What's the model # of that Drake Modulator?? :)

techno935,

Thats unfortunate, even if you are willing to pay for it they won't authorize you. The modulator I'm getting is a R.L. Drake TMQAMasi, with the DUC864 upconverter to upconvert the IF from the QAM modulator to a channel on the broadcast or CATV band. And of course the PS8 power supply and the DRMM12 chassis that everything fits into. It's 2U in size.

Jonathan

Status
Please reply by conversation.