Commercial Dish on a Pole

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

cyberham

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 16, 2010
Halfmoon Bay, British Columbia
For years I've driven by a large local vacant lot with a 1.2m offset dish attached to a pole in the centre of the lot. This dish is one of those quality dishes you are always looking to find. Probably very heavy. The pole is mounted in the ground. It's not on any roof since there are no buildings.

There is nothing else on this lot. But it is entirely fenced with quality metal fencing. I've looked for any phone number or contact info on any signs but I see none. The lot is 4 acres in size and has an assessed value of $1.3 M. All this stuff is online.

I figure no commercial owner would leave a valuable lot vacant for so long. Maybe it's owned by government. It's not for sale; it just sits there with no development in progress at all. I think I can go to the local city office and find out the registered owner (for a small fee), but I 'd probably find an owner name without any contact info anyway.

Any tips for how to (legally) get that dish? It seems unwanted.

Sent from my SM-G950W using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: FTA4PA and c-spand
If county (or local legislative records) are online, you''ll get enough info to start digging. Go for it! Tax records are usually available and have company or owner information in many cases. You're on the right track.

Reactions: FTA4PA
I can get name & address online for $9.60. They even take Paypal. Sounds like a plan.

There's a college and a church adjacent. Maybe one of those have it for expansion. A renovation permit was taken out in 2015, but "work stopped" is the permit status.

Sent from my SM-G950W using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: comfortably_numb
When I've done similar, the main thing I've learned and practiced is to explain politely that it really has no use except for experimenters, and scrappers and I'd rather not see it scrapped. Once in a while, you'll find someone who thinks they're worth HUGE bucks, but most of the time in acquiring my farm, it's been fairly inexpensive or free.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
Think I would get in touch with the adjacent property owners before spending the $9.60, never know maybe it's one of them that owns it for expansion purposes. Could also phone your favourite city councillor who might be able to dig up some info for you.

If there was ever a gas station or business that stored hydrocarbons or other dangerous goods on that property, there may be environmental issues with the property. That would put a hold on work on that property pending assessment or cleanup.

Good luck!

Reactions: c-spand

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts