Compatible Hard Drive 622

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Apparently the Seagate ST3500830SCE 500gb is discontinued and I can't seem to find one anywhere. Does anyone know if there is a new version? My 722 Harddrive appears to be slowly dying and I would like to try a harddrive swap before I fork over another 400 bucks or so for a new 722.
I think when 922 will be out Dish will include in that approved list 1 TB [WD] disk(s).

Well today it appears that the harddrive has pretty much failed. After an hour on the phone with DishNetwork, getting transferred 6 times to 6 different tech people who didn't know what the hell to do, the 7th person was able to do what needed to be done to get a replacement 722 in the mail to me under my DHPP that I added to my account earlier this week.

Thanks for the DHPP suggestion Pepper. Sure wish I would have known about that when my wife's 722 failed a little over two months ago. Interesting that two 722's bought at the same time have failed within a couple months of eachother.

At least my 722 will still let me watch TV till my replacement comes in. Just can't use any DVR functions cause they won't work. Only lost about 20 timers, but I did lose last nights episodes of Grey's Anatomy and Heli Loggers. :(:mad:

HansenFarm

Appreciated Smith,P.'s advice about hard drive problems with 722. Had ordered a WD that was exact same model as original but did not have the 57... suffix and it did not work.
Just received a ST3500830 from Computer Geeks and it formatted and works fine. Will use the WD in an external enclosure as an external drive with the 722.
Just getting used to checking all of the threads on the forum and had not looked far enough about compatible drives.

I think when 922 will be out Dish will include in that approved list 1 TB [WD] disk(s).
Are you saying that the release of ViP922s, a completely new platform, would cause an update in the approved list for ViP622/ViP722 architecture?

They're usually slow for test new models for the approved list, but if it been approved for other model, there is high chance it will be included into similar line, IMHO.
I wouldn't say it is completely new platform, same Linux, but much more Java apps.

Are you saying that the release of ViP922s, a completely new platform, would cause an update in the approved list for ViP622/ViP722 architecture?

I doubt it. The 500 gig works in the 622 because the 622 & 722 run the same software (they are basically the same box).

The 922 is a very different beast (and will very likely be running different software).

I run Linux (when needed). Yes, both boxes are Linux based. But there is a lot more to it then that. The GUI between them is entirely different. They will not be running sourcing the same download.

Time will tell.

I run Linux (when needed). Yes, both boxes are Linux based. But there is a lot more to it then that. The GUI between them is entirely different. They will not be running sourcing the same download.

Time will tell.

None of us know how much, if any of the code will be shared between the two platforms. They could be just different configurations built off the same base platform, or they could be completely separate code bases developed by completely separate teams (unlikely though, due to costs). We're all just speculating.

I work for a $3B+ PC software company, and we have shared technology (and code) that lives in a dozen or more of our products (for instance, the same XML parser is in just about every one of our products). We also have technology that is so product-specific that it only exists in a single product. We're all just speculating.

$143 is pretty steep for a 500GB drive. Especially one that seamed to be available for less than $50 weeks ago. Has anyone upgraded to a larger drive and needs to get rid of their old Vip 622 hard drive?

I was not able to locate a compatible 500 GB drive. But I did pick up the 320 GB ST3500830SCE Seagate drive from Buy dot com. Works like a champ. Thanks for the info.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)