Completely new to Dish. Questions on signing up.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

steelcurtain11

Original poster
Nov 10, 2011
PA
So we occasionally receive the coupons in the mail for dish network, The ones I'm looking at are Dish Family $19.99/month for 12 months, Top 120 for $29.99/month for 12 months, and the Top 200 for $39.99 month for 12 months. All with a 2 year agreement (regular price for the second year). It also states on the back free 6 room installation, 2 room HD Dvr upgrade and free HD for life.

I'm just wondering how Dish Networks pricing works.. I've tried calling them but couldn't really get a clear answer, I don't know if they have any hidden fees they don't list openly.

I'm interested in the Top 120 for $29.99/month.
I want the dish channels in 5 rooms (maybe 6).
I could care less about DVR(if it cost any additional money per month or install), but if it's totally free I'll take just the free ones. I really don't think I'd even use it so I'd like to save money without it.
I'd like HD for all the TV's, do they have a certain limit for how many get it free?

I'm just wondering if there's any other hidden fees, extra monthly fees for HD on all tv's, DVR (can I not get any dvr?) fees, channels on all tv's fee, installation fees on anything, any monthly fees on receivers (I think this is what I'll put on each tv to get the channels right?), any rental fee on equipment?

Sorry if this is confusing, I just want to get a clear answer from consumers who have experience with bills from them. I just get confused with all this stuff that goes in with it. Thanks

It also comes with free blockbuster stuff and hbo,starz, etc that I just want to cancel before the 3 month trial is over.

You can get a maximum of three leased receivers per account. So you could only do three HD TVs that are able to watch separate programs. These receivers have two satellite tuners in them so they can run 2 TVs. So three dual tuner receivers would run 6 TVs and that would be your free six room install. I would strongly recommend the DVR even though it is $6 per month. FYI each additional dual tuner recevier is a minimum of $14 per month. If you went with three dual tuners you would have $28 in additional fees per month.

Make sure you are aware of the Dish Home Protection Plan. You will get it free for the first six months but will be charged for it afterwards. Most people are not aware of it and think it is a hidden free. There's more options but this is a quick reference for you.

There are receiver fees for each one after the first. How much depends upon which receivers. Some boxes feed two TVs independently, but one TV will be SD only. There is a single fee for DVRs regardless of how many are on the account. Yes, there is a leasing fee. Getting HD to all 6 TVs will be, shall we say, a challenge. There is a limit to the number of tuners that can be leased- I think it's 6, but maybe 4.

You should rethink about DVRs. You'd be ahead of the game to get the best deal at the start on them.

It is unlikely that they'll offer you the ViP922. If they do, decline. It's an extra $4 per month and really isn't better than a ViP722K with a Sling Adapter.

Lot's more info you should know, but I'll give someone else a chance now.

Here's all the monthly fees (excluding tax) for the cheapest all HD setup:

- 722k HD DVR $0 (primary is free)
- DVR service $6 (only one charge per account no matter how many DVRs)
- 211k HD receiver $7 ea. x 4 remaining rooms $28

You can make any of those 211's into DVRs by adding your own external hard drive and paying a one-time $40 fee, no additional monthly fees.

You'll probably have to pay $50 each to buy those 211's initially.

There's probably a better/cheaper solution for HD in lots of rooms on the horizon if you can wait a few more months.

For lots of rooms, cable or DirecTV is usually a lot cheaper.

Wanting more than 3 TVs in HD gets to be a little tough and expensive with Dish. Once the new Xip receivers come out it will be much better.

Ah ok thank you, I had no idea about any of their tech. I just assumed 1 receiver per tv.. but now that it's 2 per receiver with only 1 HD that complicates things. 2 HD tv's are upstairs, 1 HD and 2 SD are on the middle floor,and 1 HD in the basement room.. so that'd be kind of complicated. Since basic cable here is so expensive I was looking for a cheaper route to go or possibly pay the same amount and get more. I'm just not sure if going through all the trouble to get it working would be worth it.

Thank you all.

You'd have to determine which TVs you need to have in HD and what TVs you need to watch independantly. You can get by cheaper if you are willing to give up on some things that may not be needed.

Also keep in mind: Each HD receiver has compoment and HDMI HD outputs, both live. If independent viewing isn't necessary in all you HD rooms, you could feed two off one receiver, but they would both be tuned to the same channel.

Keep in mind, SD TVs can be "backfed" thru the coax. So wiring may not be so difficult as you might imagine.

Another option, rarely used, is to wirelessly transmit the SD TV2 output. Google "wireless tv transmitter" and you'll see a wide variety of options and prices. Don't expect great performance from such transmitters.

What exactly does dvr do? It says we get 2 (1HD, 1 SD)for free.. so I guess $6/month isn't that bad, I thought it was per dvr. I can still get HD on a tv even without the dvr right? An HD Dvr would just record shows in HD and store them?

So it looks like the max amount of boxes we can get are 3. Each box goes to 2 tv's. The only problem is I live in a house with room mates and we each have our own TV. 4 HD, 1 SD and then we just have a extra SD in the main room. So it seems that one person with HD would have to settle for having just SD on theirs since we're at the limit of boxes. Everyone usually watches their own shows so I doubt anyone would want to be stuck on the same channel.

Maybe it's best I wait then until something comes along that will give more than 3 tv's HD? Or is there another provider or something besides satellite that can do that at the same price? DirecTV seemed to be a little more expensive on the flyer we got from them, but I guess it'd be worth it if it worked?

Sorry for the newb questions, I'm coming from basic cable pretty much but thank you for all the great info. I'm not really up to date on any tv service besides regular cable.

If you have roommates and would be sharing receivers you may want to stay away from dual tuner DVRs. You are going to run into problems with show recording on each other's TVs when you don't want to. When it comes to having roommates it's usally best to have individual receivers for each person. Maybe it would be best to have a 211k for everyone.

That limit of 3 is for LEASED receivers. You can BUY a ViP211K from DishStore and others for about a hundred dollars. This would not be a DVR but would give you the option of turning it into a DVR at a later date. Maybe each roommate would be interested in buying their own ViP211K? If you own it, you can later sell it to recover some of your money.

The DVR concept is more than just time shifting. For instance, you're watching something live, and you didn't understand what was said. You can skip back (one button) and hear (or see) it again. You can skip thru commercials, a very popular time (& aggravation) saver. I have two ViP722 HD DVRs, one on each HDTV, and my wife and I can record and watch all we want. Overkill, as we don't use dual mode (feed 2 TVs from one box). But worth it for the extra convenience. And we only watch the commercials we want to. And we can record something we see we want at any hour, and watch it at our convenience.

The best setup in op condition looks like 2 VIP 222k & 2 VIP 211k ( 1 has to be bought individually or maybe dish can lease for $20 extra)

2 VIP 222k can feed 2 hd & 2 sd & 2 VIP 211k for 2 hd. You obviously don't need dvr( you will otherwise have to pay $ 6 extra & additional dvr box is $3 extra over the rent/lease fees)

The box fees will be:
2 vip222k = $14 (1st box price is included in package)
2 vip211k = $14 (2*7 )
Total $28 for all the receivers plus your packaging cost. I will suggest to keep the dish protection plan of $6 after 1st 6 month.

In addition to what has been said about the DVR. Here are some more points. Let's say you are watching a program and the phone rings. You just hit Pause, answer the phone and have you conversation. Then hit Play and you continue watching the program. The DVR has up to a 1 hour buffer or till the last time you changed channels. So if you are watching something and decide you want to record the whole program, you can scan back to the beginning, press Record and record the entire program.
Once you get one, you wonder how you watched TV without one.

In addition to what has been said about the DVR. Here are some more points. Let's say you are watching a program and the phone rings. You just hit Pause, answer the phone and have you conversation. Then hit Play and you continue watching the program. The DVR has up to a 1 hour buffer or till the last time you changed channels. So if you are watching something and decide you want to record the whole program, you can scan back to the beginning, press Record and record the entire program.
Once you get one, you wonder how you watched TV without one.
on the channel for whole time you don't need to scan back. Just hit record & it will ask if you want the whole thing.

That seems like an odd statement. You still trust the receiver to record all the other programs you tell it to. If you didn't trust the receiver then you would always watch live TV. Give it a trial run and then you may trust it more.

Ok, well, mostly it's the lack of trust in the networks to start their programs at the scheduled time.

If you are looking at Top 120, make certain to check Latino Dos which is cost equivalent, but has a few nice channels that 120 doesn't and vica versa.

If any one watches local sports you may need to go to the 120+ package. It includes the regional sports network.
Since there is a person per tv I think u would be best served with a hd receiver per tv. They can be turned in to a dvr with a one time $40 fee per receiver and the purchase of a external powered hard drive, $79 and up for 1T.
After initial investment the monthly cost per person should be less than $20/person depending on tax.

One of the DIRT TEAM could explain all your options and the cost. They are on this forum but work for dish, they will give you the honest and best information. They can also set up the install for you.
I thinl you can find themlisted in red at the bottom of the page If you are on your pc.
Good luck

Ross

Sent from my rooted DROIDX (Liberty Gingerbread) using SatelliteGuys

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts