Getting a new HDTV, question about getting an HD signal to it

shrilla

Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
Kentucky
Hey all, new to this site but you guys seem to be pretty knowledgeable. Right now we have a 3 TV setup. One duo receiver that sends DVR and one HD and one SD signal, then a single receiver that has no DVR but is HD. My situation is that the TV currently getting the SD signal from the duo receiver is about to be upgraded to a new HDTV. Would we need to get another receiver, and generally speaking how much would that cost? Also, the 3rd TV that is getting the single HD signal is not really used that often. Is there anyway possible to swap that room to the SD signal from the duo and move the single HD receiver to a different room where we're upgrading the TV? Each room had their own separate wiring, the only difference is the SD from the duo room doesn't have a receiver obviously. So yeah, just wondering if it's possible to move the single receiver to a new room and what would need to be done to accomplish that, and if not possible just a general estimation of how much it would cost to add another single receiver. Sorry if this isn't explained well, most of this stuff is confusing to me.

shrilla said:
Hey all, new to this site but you guys seem to be pretty knowledgeable. Right now we have a 3 TV setup. One duo receiver that sends DVR and one HD and one SD signal, then a single receiver that has no DVR but is HD. My situation is that the TV currently getting the SD signal from the duo receiver is about to be upgraded to a new HDTV. Would we need to get another receiver, and generally speaking how much would that cost? Also, the 3rd TV that is getting the single HD signal is not really used that often. Is there anyway possible to swap that room to the SD signal from the duo and move the single HD receiver to a different room where we're upgrading the TV? Each room had their own separate wiring, the only difference is the SD from the duo room doesn't have a receiver obviously. So yeah, just wondering if it's possible to move the single receiver to a new room and what would need to be done to accomplish that, and if not possible just a general estimation of how much it would cost to add another single receiver. Sorry if this isn't explained well, most of this stuff is confusing to me.

In order to get HD on another TV, you would need another HD receiver. There are no Dish Duo DVRs that send out HD signals to two TVs, just the one HD one SD setup. Dish is supposed to be putting out a new Sling Extender which allows for HD on both TVs, but the release date STILL has yet to be announced (at this rate, I'm thinking it will be released on February 32, 2012).

Yes it is possible to do what you want, but it may require some new cabling to do so. Currently, there is a cable from the sat LNB to both receivers and one cable from the HD DVR to the SD TV. If you move, the HD receiver (I presume a 211 or 211k) to the new HDTV, you will need a cable from the sat LNB to it. Maybe you can move the cable currently to the room with the 211 to the other room getting the new HDTV. You will also move the cable from the room with the current SDTV to the room where the HDTV with the 211 receiver is currently located. In other words, you need to swap the cables for the two rooms. Adding another 211(k) receiver for the new HDTV would cost $7 additional per month. 211s can be turned into DVRs by paying a one-time $40 fee and adding an external hard disk drive.

Thanks for your replies. Yeah the reason I was asking about just swapping the single receiver to where the SD signal is now is because of all of the wiring done in the initial setup. We have a really big house, and from what I can gather the SD room has it's own cable going to the satellite, and the HD signal to the duo has another cable of it's own that is going around the opposite side of the house. The cable being sent to where the single HD receiver room is now is actually running right along with the SD room's cable for quite some time (the room right beside the SD room). I will just call up Dish to find out the pricing on getting a 211k like you guys said. 7 bucks a month isn't too crazy, and you just hate to have HDTV's getting SD signals. Thanks again.

shrilla said:
Thanks for your replies. Yeah the reason I was asking about just swapping the single receiver to where the SD signal is now is because of all of the wiring done in the initial setup. We have a really big house, and from what I can gather the SD room has it's own cable going to the satellite, and the HD signal to the duo has another cable of it's own that is going around the opposite side of the house. The cable being sent to where the single HD receiver room is now is actually running right along with the SD room's cable for quite some time (the room right beside the SD room). I will just call up Dish to find out the pricing on getting a 211k like you guys said. 7 bucks a month isn't too crazy, and you just hate to have HDTV's getting SD signals. Thanks again.

Complex install much?

Definitely have a tech roll out.

Which Dishnet receiver?

We have been Dish Network customers for for nine years and finally bought an HD TV (Sony XBR55HF929). After hours of research it appeared that the 722 receiver was the right box for us until I learned that there is also a 722K! What's the difference?

We would like to be able to record one station while watching another (or a previously recorded program) and we would like to share the signal in the kitchen and bedroom. We currently do this with a Slingbox pro but perhaps we could do it over the electrical grid in the house. We don't try to access the Slingbox outside the house since our only available internet connection is HughesNet which is often only 500 MBPS. We won't be able to stream movies on demand until a faster internet is available.

Can you tell us which receiver would be best for us? Thank you.

The primary difference between the two is that the 722K, out of the box, does not have an OTA tuner, as does the 722 with ONE built in. There is a $50 optional OTA module that slides into the back of the K, that provides TWO OTA tuners. End result, a total of four programs can be recorded simultaneously...2 sat + 2 OTA. 722 max is three. In case you live where OTA reception is poor or none, or don't want to mess with antennas, the 722 would do you just fine. In terms of TV distribution, they are the same, and both Sling capable. The K also allows for timer back-ups using the latest gen learning remotes.

The difference between the 722 and 722k is the built in OTA on the 722. The 722k requires an OTA module that will give you OTA channels on both TVs. Either the 722 or 722k would work for what you are describing.

You guys are better than the tooth fairy. I post a question and go to bed. Wake up and find the answer!:) So I became a supporter.

Next I will need to upgrade my AV equipment to support HDMI so I need to find the appropriate forum to ask those questions.

Thank you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts