Completely new to FTA, need advice

Status
Please reply by conversation.
PSB said:
Nah! A solid dish is best for C and Ku!
Again, excuse the stupidity, but are there C-band mesh dishes and solid dishes then? I thought all C-band dishes have mesh inside of them even if they look solid? :eek:

PSB said:
And I know just where I can get one............FREE!

:devil:

I wish I knew. :( I'm not buying a C-band dish off the internet, I don't need shipping to be twice what the dish is worth.

PSB said:
Yes there are solid C-Band dish, have a look at the pictures in this recent thread.......

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?p=595978#post595978

No need for mesh on a solid steel/aluminium dish as the whole dish collects the signal!

Solid fiberglass dish have mesh inside.

Alright, so if at all possible I gotta find a solid dish or at least a mesh dish that I can't fit a pencil through the holes.

Is it fairly easy to tell the dish types apart?

PSB said:
Should be easy enough up close.

Alright, thanks. Wish I knew someone who wanted to get rid of their solid dish. Where's a good online store to buy C-band motors, and for that matter C-band dishes just to compare? Sadoun doesn't seem to have motors for C-band dishes.

PSB said:
And I know just where I can get one............FREE!
:devil:

GMFreak8 said:
I wish I knew. :( I'm not buying a C-band dish off the internet, I don't need shipping to be twice what the dish is worth.

PSB is being a smart ass. He lives 1/2 hour or so from me :)

Damn this line of sight thing has me worried. I'm really doubting rather or not I can receive the sat signals.

W_Tracy_Parnell said:
A cheap compass would be helpful in aiming. Here is a link to some screen shots you might be interested in of news feeds and other stuff:

http://www.pbase.com/wtracyparnell/news_feeds
Very nice collection! Good 'ol WWL-TV, our CBS affiliate... They got some of the most incredible shots of Katrina from downtown--glass blowing out of buildings, the water rising, and of course the Superdome fiasco.

GMFreak8 said:
Damn this line of sight thing has me worried. I'm really doubting rather or not I can receive the sat signals.
You might be suprised, I am surrounded by tall trees and can still get a good year round LOS from 72 to 129 degrees.

Iceberg said:
What kind of obstacles do you have?
There are tall trees all around my house, some of the pine trees are close 60 to 100 feet tall. I still have to do the land survey just to see, I want to get everything that I possibly can with my setup.

What I'm going to do is see if it's worth getting (if I have a clear line of sight to the sats), and then see if I can get a KU or C band dish around here somewhere. If I can get one cheap or free I'd like to do that, instead of putting over $300 into a new system. I think I may put a wanted ad in the local free trader paper. I'm wondering how I would word the ad, I mean I doubt most people would know what I'm talking about. Will the Mercury two control the older C-band dishes if I find one with a working motor? What should I look for when I go hunting for a dish? What should I avoid? I can buy a motor for an older stationary dish, most of the mounts are universal, correct? Thanks again for the help.

drhydro said:
You might be suprised, I am surrounded by tall trees and can still get a good year round LOS from 72 to 129 degrees.

Is that all the possible satellites you can receive? What is the range that I should look for to receive all the feeds?

most KU is from 72 degrees to 129 degrees west. Now on a compass 129 doesnt mean 129 degrees on the compass. As an example, I am in MN so my true south satellite (the satellite that is at 180 degrees on the compass) is IA6 (93W). Youe True South is the same as your longitude

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)