Component Cables Supplied by Voom

squicken

Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 24, 2004
Is anyone using the component video cables supplied by Voom? I'm going to try using component instead of DVI, but want to make sure the Voom cables are up to task. Are these good enough, or do I need to fork out some dough for some better ones?

Sean Mota said:
Not using them with VOOM but with a plasma TV. They are fine.
What are you connecting to the Plasma? :) I know HDTV needs a wider bandwidth than a DVD signal. I'm not dumb enough to buy monster cables, but also know more than to use $5 cables. Thanks for your help Sean.

I would say the component cables from VOOM are better than cheap $5 ones. It wouldn't hurt to try them. I would have prefered gold plated ones, but I figured what the hay.

The ones I got with my DVD player wasn't worth the material they were made with.

squicken said:
What are you connecting to the Plasma? :) I know HDTV needs a wider bandwidth than a DVD signal. I'm not dumb enough to buy monster cables, but also know more than to use $5 cables. Thanks for your help Sean.

A progressive DVD player...

squicken said:
Is anyone using the component video cables supplied by Voom? I'm going to try using component instead of DVI, but want to make sure the Voom cables are up to task. Are these good enough, or do I need to fork out some dough for some better ones?

They supplied componet video cables with the boxes?

--Steve

squicken said:

What is wrong with Monster cables?????

Madtown HD Junkie said:
What is wrong with Monster cables?????
It's not that they're of inferior quality, it's just you can get all you need from other vendors for much cheaper.

smamuch, yes Voom STB was supposed to come with all sorts of different cables, oncluding component

-chad

"They" say that DVI is better for fixed pixel displays like plasma, dlp, and lcd. I use component cabled for my Hitachi RPTV. I think the difference is negligible.

Yes, monster cables are WAY overpriced. My pos just paid $120 for a 4m from Best Buy. You can get them on ebay for less that $20.

I had some real problems with the component cables supplied by Voom. I used them to hook up my progressive scan DVD to my DVD inputs on my Mitsu. Picture was intermittent when using those cables. I went back to my acoustic research cables and everything was great. The component cables I got from Voom were not shielded very well. My installer told me that they were instructed not to leave any cable that the customer didn't need, ie if they hooked you up using DVI, they were not to leave you the component cables as well. This may be unique to my installer though.

I'm using both pair I got from them, one on the Voom and one on my Dish 6000 & they have worked fine for me.

squicken said:
It's not that they're of inferior quality, it's just you can get all you need from other vendors for much cheaper.

smamuch, yes Voom STB was supposed to come with all sorts of different cables, oncluding component

-chad
Installation was June 22.
I got 2 DVI cables for 3 boxes, no other cables, not even phone, no welcome package nada.

The installers were not very knowledgeable. I fixed everything after they left. They put a 3x2 multi-switch on the roof at the dish and ran 3 cables down to my basement into a 3x4 multi-switch ungrounded. I installed all the boxes myself during the installation, and have a wired home. I removed the un-used 3x2 multi-switch on the roof. Re-routed and grounded the multi-switch, replaced 2 of the F connectors that just fell off while I was moving them, re-positioned the OTA and combined my existing OTA for reception on all mapped OTA channels.

I have swithched to component cable on my DLP w/Voom. I really don't see that much of a difference either as someone above mentioned. Although I am using Tributaries Cables.

I am planning on using my DVI cable with my new DVD player.

When you get your installs everyone should receive:
composite, svideo, component, and DVI with each stb installed.

welcome package??? What's that? I've heard about it but I certainly didn't get one....unless it's the little two page foldout flyer...

Voom component cable

I'm sure you could not find a cheaper and poorer quality component video cable if you tried...

discard Voom's component cable set and buy a high quality set of Monster or equivalent component cable set for about $ 59.00 to $ 99.00

I hate to admit it but Monster is high quality... with a good $$$ pair of high quality component cables you'll get about 85% quality HD picture

but ... :clap if your really want superior quality use the DVI connector that Voom gives you or buy a $90 + Monster... Superior quality DVI cable to receive your best digital HD picture possible !!!

Think it B/S ??? buy it , try it and return it ... Best Buy Stores tell you to buy High Quality Monster cables that cost big $$$ and try it for free ... If you don't see the difference they ask you to return them and they will refund your money. That's why they sell so many , superior picture quality costs....

Your weakest possible link is your connection to HD receiver , people who buy $ 1000's into HD receivers and Penny's into connection cables should not own HD equipment in the first place !protest

Voomster :wave

Or you could make your own cables, I do.
I didnt get a S-vid cable with my package though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)