OTHER Composite audio issue

Baby L

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2016
Idaho USA
Good morning. I have a generic DVB-S2 receiver. Mostly it works great, but for some reason, I only get audio, through the HDMI cable. To get that, I have to have it set for raw, instead of PCM, and I get no audio through the RCA composite. Video is fine with HDMI, and RCA. Is this a setting issue I have missed somewhere, or a problem with the receiver? Thanks in advance for any help.

Welcome to SatelliteGuys!

Does this audio problem happen on all channels or just some channels?

Some hobbyist have reported that their generic STBs don't have audio on the RCA ports. Think it only happens with some models. Might need to contact the seller to see if there is a fix or firmware update available.

Hi Titanium,
Thank you fro your response. Yes this happens on all channels, and all satellites. Being a trained electronics tech, I am seriously considering opening it up, to see if there is a connection issue inside. Before I do that, I just want to be sure, that I should have audio, on the RCA ports, with my current settings. Weird thing is,
In the settings, I can only change between PCM, and Raw, under TV settings. If I set it to PCM, I get no audio even through the HDMI. Set it to Raw, And get audio through HDMI, but not RCA.

Welcome to SatelliteGuys Baby L!
Yes, I have saw people report this also on the RCA jacks. Some where able to get fixed with a firmware upgrade, others just plain didn't get any customer support.
Like Titanium said contact the seller and see what they tell you.

generic DVB-S2 receiver
Could be the audio is in a format that the receiver is not capable of decoding.internally. (ACM, Dolby)(??)
Although the receiver doesn't decode it, it's passed on to the TV to decode via HDMI.
Does it get the mpg audio on the 97W (G19) channels?

Good morning, and Thank you all for responding. First, contacting the seller, is a wash, so, that would put me in the no customer support group. However, it may be possible, as soon as I can find one of our regular usb cables, maybe I can get a firmware upgrade that way. Fat Air. I am not 100% sure, as to what this thing is decoding internally. However, I do know, on either 97W, or 95W, if I hit the audio button I get a pop up screen that says.
Audio channel

Channel eng 01 (Dolby D)

Audio PID 0068

Sound mode Stereo LR

The only thing I can change here, is the audio mode, from LR, RR,LL.
So far, the only other audio setting I have found, is under TV setup. In there, I can drop down to Digital Audio Output, and change between LPCM, and RAW. LPCM has no audio on either HDMI, or RCA. RAW has audio on HDMI. So far this is the same on every satellite. Again, I am not sure if a usb cable will help with a firmware or not, but I have no issue trying, as soon as I get the mountains of snow around here dealt with. ;)
Thank you all again for you responses.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)