Compression Connector Removal

Status
Please reply by conversation.

zamar23

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
Mid West
At times its prohibitive to cut a Compression Connector from a coax to remove it from a Switch Weather Box, since the coax becomes too short and would need all be replaced. Is there a Compression Connector Removal Tool? Or, how otherwise such Connector can be removed without damaging the coax? Can removed by such Tool compression connectors be reused - it doesn't make sence to throw away a whole bunch of these for no objective reason? :)

I suppose one might be able to remove the connector by levering the back barrel from the main assembly and then cutting or prying off the compression fitting, but I'm not aware of any tool that does this nor would I recommend such a procedure. This would seem a good application for a barrel connector. In a recent thread a member posted a spec sheet demonstrating a good barrel causes negligible loss. Of course prevention is the best medicine and looping a little coax at the end of a long run as a drip loop and/or spare can prevent such problems in the future.

I have never tried. I guess if you can pull the plastic plunger back from the connector without destroying it maybe it might work again. My guess would be that it might not lock together as firmly the second time.

I would cut the cable and add a barrel connector with a longer cable. you will only lose a few db's of signal. I have never had any luck getting them apart once they are connected.

Not clear why you'll need to remove the connector(s) ? Better keep them there.
And it's one time snap, so if it damaged you must cut it off and toss away.

Thanks guys. I need to replace an Ecoda switch weather box with a bigger one to fit a lot more stuff - that's why. :) Can't take any coax out of it through small precise rubber boot insulated holes without cutting connectors first. An extra barrel connector would also require adding a coax patch with 2 more compression connectors, so total signal loss might not be that much but still undesirable, and it also needs waterproofing. On top, I would need a separate patch for each coax - what a headache! Of course, drip loops would be the best cure, if only...:) What's the best way to waterproof a barrel connector, or several coaxes with such connectors at once?

"What's the best way to waterproof a barrel connector, or several coaxes with such connectors at once? "

I'd suggest Silicone Dielectric lube on the threads of the barrel connector, plenty of people make the stuff, mine is by LOCTITE.
:)

The best waterproofing is to keep connections in an enclosure. If they have to be outside, keep ground blocks and barrels with the threads horizontal. Route the cables so water runs away from the connections. Rubber weather boots are available. Back in the days of crimp connectors, a tube of silicone RTV sealant was your friend, we would put some in the connector prior to threading it on, a pain to remove later, but sure kept the water out.

But the threaded Barrel's part performs Ground conductor function, isn't it? How it can do it through the sealant or lube?

But the threaded Barrel's part performs Ground conductor function, isn't it? How it can do it through the sealant or lube?

Metal to metal contact. The lubricant fills the voids that would otherwise be filled by air, or water, or whatever is available. Solid metal to metal contact is still necessary to conduct. Since I'm watching TV right now, with outside connections sealed with the lube, I venture to say that it works. Of course, it might be MAGIC !

The dielectric is definitely not a conductor, but it doesn't inhibit metal to metal contact either. It just fills the gaps. Use very little, only enough to block access along the threads.
I've been using this stuff on antenna connectors, security system connectors, etc since the early '90's . It's an approved industrial solution to the problem of moisture penetration into low voltage coax connections.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts