CompUSA has risen!

TheForce

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2003
Jacksonville, FL, Earth
Awhile back we had a thread on CompUSA going out of business. They were selling off and had almost closed their doors around here. I stopped going by back in January because they had so little merchandise left to liquidate. Yesterday, I noticed they were still open so I thought I'd go in and see what was happening. The store is stocked full but it resembles a Sams Club more than a CompUSA yet the same name is on everything. I asked and was told that Tiger Direct parent company ( don't recall the name) decided to increase presence and bought out CompUSA including the name. The good news is the stuff they have can be found in other stores but at CompUSA it is being sold for 20-35% less and more. They will try to match any legit internet offering price and have a public kiosk on hand for consumers to check prices online before buying.
We have two comp USA stores near me so I visited them both and same story at both.

Sytemax owns tiger Direct. I had not heard this thanks for the news.

I have a wooden stake. Who's got a silver bullet? Let's get the mob up and.......

All the stores closed a good while ago here in Central Ohio.
They were one of my favorite places to get some computer parts and gadgets.
Wish they'd come back here.

According to the website there are 15 stores left mostly in Florida and Texas. The website still exists though---but so does the tiger Direct one.

Hey

The CompUSA in Nashua NH, never closed and is still in business.

They aren't on their 'store locator' list though.

I wonder why? No 'going out of business' sales or anything.

According to the website there are 15 stores left mostly in Florida and Texas. The website still exists though---but so does the tiger Direct one.

from what I've heard this is for tax purposes ,as they now want to directly compete with newegg , and yes tigerdirect and compusa look exactly like each other , even the new COMPUSA books they mail out ! I wonder if they will keep both open or merge into one name?

I have a wooden stake. Who's got a silver bullet? Let's get the mob up and.......

I'm with you... :)

Well I guess I can hope that Sytemax dismantles everything so the name is all that remains of the old Compusa. We'll see. I will probably gather up a little garlic before visiting one of their stores.

Interesting news...I'll have to cruise by the old south Charlotte location I always shopped at and see if it re-opened. It was locked up tight several months back, and havent been back by since then.

I went in and bought a gift for my daughter and saved $300 over CC price right next door. same for Best buy which would not match price. I thought I'd get the rewards kick back but no go. Looks like BB will need to change it's price match claim policy soon. While BB and CC were high, the price I got at CompUSA was similar to the Amazon.com price. I can't complain. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)