Computer dvi to component tv input

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Musky boy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 26, 2005
I am wanting to output the video from one of my older pc's to my older hdtv. The only inputs that I have available on my hdtv are component. I have found dvi to component video adapters on the internet, but there seems to be a bit of a disclaimer that the video card needs to be able to support a tv (sync to green) output.

My computer is limited to AGP video cards.

I am only interested in viewing internet and computer stuff for now. Might install a tuner card later so that I can capture.

Looking for advice on video cards and cables.

Thanks,

John

I just built a new PC. I have no desire to have my computer room pc function as a htpc. I also really do not feel a great NEED for a htpc.

I actually have two pc's in my computer room. My last pc is now my backup pc. Soooooo, my old backup pc (pc number 3) is just lying on the floor.

I thought it would be fun to have the ability to surf the web on my 51 hdtv in the living room. In the past I have hooked up to the 51 incher but used s-video connection from an ati 9600 all in wonder. That picture sucked to say the least. I assume that if I output from a DVI connector, the picture will be much better. For now, I really don't care about anything but getting a good quality internet on to a 51 inch HDTV. If after I play for a while, I decide that I really want to get into the Tivo type stuff and/or capturing stuff, I will then build a new machine. (If the wife authorizes such an expense).

Right now my main concern is...............I need a video card that I can convert the dvi output into a usable component input to a tv. Or a video card that has an hdmi output that could be converted into component. I don't think I need an hdcp compatible card......yet. Just looking for a cheap card that will work with this:

DVI to Component Video Adapter - SW-4041, $21.95

My reason for going to component is that my tv only has one dvi input and it is used, and It has only one Component input and it is being used. I am left with using my Onkyo Receiver to control things and all if has that is HD is Component video jacks.

Hope this all makes sense. Thanks

John

Just got done doing some web searching. Found a device that is made by terk called an HDMI 31. It takes 3 hdmi signals and converts into 1 output. Anybody familar with this? Is it a good product. With this I could avoid the Component problems and use it to converge the hdmi from my dish receiver and an hdmi output video card and have room for future expansion (blu ray).

That would be the right way to go - try to stay in the digital domain if you can.

What is the brand/model of your TV?

When thinking about blu-ray as a possible future upgrade, make sure your HDMI switch supports HDCP or you won't be able to use it with such player.

Diogen.

My tv is a Hitachi 51" widescreen crt projection. I do not have the model number in front of me right now. It has 5 inputs.

- Input one has dvi or component to choose from

- Input two has component, s-vid, or composite to choose from

- Inputs three thru five have s-vid and composite to choose from.

From what I have found, the Terk hdmi31 switch supports hdcp.

John

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts