Computer Monitor Recommendations

Right now the reigning kings in terms of quality mix/ sweet spot price/ and functionality for the 3 sizes are:

24 inch
-dell 2407 wfp HC

27-28 inch
-dell 2707 wfp

30 inch
-Gateway XHD3000 (the freakin muther load - $1699 @ BB).

Theses monitors are best in their class when taking into account cost, functionality, and benchmarks (caveat with emphasis on multifunction use).

Check out the HANNS-G 28" on newegg.com, currently 559.00... We bought 2; actually were looking for the Viewsonic version but they were backordered big time. One was defective but replacement was fine. Been using them for a month, works great....
I saw a version of this at Best Buy (I thought it was 26", but maybe it was 28"). The price seemed competitive considering the size. First time I'd seen that brand. Thanks for the feedback.

I'm in the market for a 1920x1200 monitor. I like all the various inputs provided on the Gateway 24”, but I’ve read some comments that say the screen is too bright.

I’d appreciate comments about 1920x1200 monitors from anyone who lives with one.

TIA

You should take a look at the HannsG model HG281D. one link here, HannsG - 27.5" Widescreen Flat-Panel TFT-LCD Monitor - HG-281DJB

I bought one of these for my office and the picture is great. It has all the inputs including HDMI and I use it to watch HDTV while I work. I got mine on sale at Office Depot for $499 and I love it. A great value you should take a look at.

Hate to break the secret to you, but the dell panels are samsung.... Just cheaper and just as good.
You didn't, as I knew it ( when you will fix a few of them you'll know better ) and second - that my respond was about _internal_ LCD panel what is in Dell _monitors_. Technical ppl knew that.

You didn't, as I knew it ( when you will fix a few of them you'll know better ) and second - that my respond was about _internal_ LCD panel what is in Dell _monitors_. Technical ppl knew that.

Opps, sorry missed the response... my bad

I got this the Westinghouse 24 inch from newegg on Cyber Monday.

Newegg.com - Westinghouse L2410NM Glossy Black 24" 8ms Widescreen LCD Monitor 500 cd/m2 1000:1 Built in Speakers - Retail

It is currently 349.99 after rebate. It has every possible input (D-Sub, HDMI-HDCP, Composite, S-Video, YPbPr) except DVI but you can use a DVI => HDMI cable if you really need that input.

Mine arrived and looks fantastic - no dead pixels. Some reviews werent happy with the placement of the controls (on/off switch, menu button, etc) but honestly how often do you use these other than turning the thing on/off.

At any rate this is pretty much the cheapest 24 inch I could find and looks great.

I have the 24" Dell and love it. I used it with my PC and now use it with my PowerMac. Not as good looking as the Apple screens, but why pay a ton more for just looks. If you monitor the Dell site, you can find a really great deal.

one of the neighbors cut my cable cord,the wife said our 27" crt had died so i had to buy a replacement.voila a 32" samsung from B&H for around $850 GREAT monitor if you"re not a gamer

I have had a 19" Hanns-G monitor (4x3) for some time now. I purchased it strickly on the price. It has a slight bit of brightness around the edges of the pannel on dark screens, but otherwise has been exceptional. It is used in a room with only a small window, so outside light is not a factor. The screen is antiglare as opposed to the shinny surfaces of some. There are no buzzing noises that some have with low end pannels, but I do not use the internal speakers. Most pannels for sale now have advanced so far in the last few years for brightness and responce time. My screen is used mostly for my comuter for surfing the internet or editing videos on. I do watch some old recorded TV shows on it, but its primary use is not for displaying HD. I am very pleased with it. Different manufacturers will use different brands of pannels in their monitors. My friends NEC 23" uses a Hannstar pannel in it. The pannel now has failed. (a wide bar down the display) It's not worth repairing. But there is more to the monitor than the pannel. There is also the inverter (for the backlight) and electronics for the inputs and processing.

So... the monitor I bought my wife a few weeks ago ended up on my desktop this afternoon, as her new pc (see dead pc thread) came with a monitor. I am loving this. My desktop went from 17" CRT to a 19" LCD; not widescreen, but my video card doesn't support 1440x900 anyway, so the 19" 4:3 is perfect for what I need.

Of course, I probably could have gotten a similar computer to the one I bought for her, for a bit less... but then I would not have gotten myself a new monitor, would I? ;) :D Life is good!

(And actually, for $648, the Dell with the monitor was a good price anyway!)

Dell is always giving away monitors with systems. You could buy the system, keep the monitor and sell the system to offset the price of the monitor.

Just an idea.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)