Computer Monitors?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

DodgerKing

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
SoCal
I am looking at getting a LCD monitor to replace one that went out (my current replacement does not support HDCP).

Things I am looking for:

Around 20"
HDCP is a must
Less than $200
I do NOT game, but I do plan on watching DirecTV2PC
Decent graphics, refresh rate, color, resolution for what I plan on using it for (Gaming is not one of them)
Do NOT need built in speakers

Any suggestions?

I love my Dell monitors. I have a 24" ultrasharp with a height adjustable stand. Crisp screen, screen can be rotated, supports hdmi and is hdcp compliant (although I don't use it for tv). At work I have a 24" and a 19" model. I loved the 24" so much I bought a new version of the same monitor for home.

For me the height adjustable aspect was the most important issue.

I have one of these: I-INC iH254DPB 25 Widescreen HD LCD Monitor - 1080p, 1920x1080, 16:9, 1000:1 Native, 4ms, Anti-Glare, VGA, DVI

these: Hannspree HF-259HPB 24.6 Widescreen LCD HD Monitor - 1080p, 1920x1080, 16:9, 1000:1 Native, 3000: Dynamic, 2ms, 60Hz, Integrated Speakers, VGA, HDMI

and these at work: Asus ML238H 23 Widescreen LED Monitor - 1080p, 1920x1080, 16:9, 10000:1 Dynamic, 2ms, VGA, DVI, HDMI

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4942567&CatId=4420

and not a lick of issues with either; awesome images and performance; all were under $180. Don't let the "GAMING" thing get in your head, its just a label that doesn't mean anything factual so just ignore it. If you are planning on HD video then you are gonna want a good spec monitor.

Last edited:
I've bought several ASUS VW264H widescreen 24" monitors. They're really good, and are less than $200. Only weak point is the built in speakers can't carry much volume. In your application, and mine, that is of no concern.

All that I look at do not mention HDCP support. When I ask reps, they have no idea what I am talking about. Google results are misleading, so when I ask them to print out the specs it shows no HDCP support.

I will probably just order an ASUS from MWave. I usually do not like ordering monitors on-line as I am not able to see the picture before I purchase

you dont have to buy from them, but new egg is a great site to view specs and sort items.
hdcp is one of the options under monitors

Thanks.

I am considering the ASUS. My first built computer was an ASUS motherboard (M2A-VM HDM). It was left on pretty much non stop for 5+ years and still running well.

I'm sure you'll be as happy with it as we are. People see it on my desk and a few others and demand one for themselves.

I'll add one thing: For work, at least, widescreen monitors are the way to go. I replaced two monitors with the single widescreen. I can now work on reports side by side and with room to spare. MUCH better. And it's almost spreadsheet heaven.

Fry's has the Asus VH238H no sale for $140. Besides the speakers and the swivel feature, what is the difference between the VH238H and the ML238H?

Looking at the specs, the VH238H seems like a better monitor than the ML238H. Am I missing something?

The easiest way to find an HDCP compatible monitor is to look for those with HDMI inputs. Some displays with DVI support HDCP, but they aren't common.

I cannot recommend anything short of a 1920x1080 monitor for viewing HD video. The 1680x1050 monitors I've seen have been decidedly inferior for this purpose.

Here is the monitor

Attachments

• IMG_0704.JPG
    IMG_0704.JPG
    367.8 KB · Views: 169

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)