Computer Monitors?

DodgerKing

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
SoCal
I am looking at getting a LCD monitor to replace one that went out (my current replacement does not support HDCP).

Things I am looking for:

Around 20"
HDCP is a must
Less than $200
I do NOT game, but I do plan on watching DirecTV2PC
Decent graphics, refresh rate, color, resolution for what I plan on using it for (Gaming is not one of them)
Do NOT need built in speakers

Any suggestions?

I love my Dell monitors. I have a 24" ultrasharp with a height adjustable stand. Crisp screen, screen can be rotated, supports hdmi and is hdcp compliant (although I don't use it for tv). At work I have a 24" and a 19" model. I loved the 24" so much I bought a new version of the same monitor for home.

For me the height adjustable aspect was the most important issue.

I have one of these: I-INC iH254DPB 25 Widescreen HD LCD Monitor - 1080p, 1920x1080, 16:9, 1000:1 Native, 4ms, Anti-Glare, VGA, DVI

these: Hannspree HF-259HPB 24.6 Widescreen LCD HD Monitor - 1080p, 1920x1080, 16:9, 1000:1 Native, 3000: Dynamic, 2ms, 60Hz, Integrated Speakers, VGA, HDMI

and these at work: Asus ML238H 23 Widescreen LED Monitor - 1080p, 1920x1080, 16:9, 10000:1 Dynamic, 2ms, VGA, DVI, HDMI

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4942567&CatId=4420

and not a lick of issues with either; awesome images and performance; all were under $180. Don't let the "GAMING" thing get in your head, its just a label that doesn't mean anything factual so just ignore it. If you are planning on HD video then you are gonna want a good spec monitor.

Last edited:
I've bought several ASUS VW264H widescreen 24" monitors. They're really good, and are less than $200. Only weak point is the built in speakers can't carry much volume. In your application, and mine, that is of no concern.

All that I look at do not mention HDCP support. When I ask reps, they have no idea what I am talking about. Google results are misleading, so when I ask them to print out the specs it shows no HDCP support.

I will probably just order an ASUS from MWave. I usually do not like ordering monitors on-line as I am not able to see the picture before I purchase

you dont have to buy from them, but new egg is a great site to view specs and sort items.
hdcp is one of the options under monitors

Thanks.

I am considering the ASUS. My first built computer was an ASUS motherboard (M2A-VM HDM). It was left on pretty much non stop for 5+ years and still running well.

I'm sure you'll be as happy with it as we are. People see it on my desk and a few others and demand one for themselves.

I'll add one thing: For work, at least, widescreen monitors are the way to go. I replaced two monitors with the single widescreen. I can now work on reports side by side and with room to spare. MUCH better. And it's almost spreadsheet heaven.

Fry's has the Asus VH238H no sale for $140. Besides the speakers and the swivel feature, what is the difference between the VH238H and the ML238H?

Looking at the specs, the VH238H seems like a better monitor than the ML238H. Am I missing something?

The easiest way to find an HDCP compatible monitor is to look for those with HDMI inputs. Some displays with DVI support HDCP, but they aren't common.

I cannot recommend anything short of a 1920x1080 monitor for viewing HD video. The 1680x1050 monitors I've seen have been decidedly inferior for this purpose.

Here is the monitor

Attachments

• IMG_0704.JPG
    IMG_0704.JPG
    367.8 KB · Views: 170

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts