Status
Please reply by conversation.

LocutusOfBorg

Free speech is more important than your feelings
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 2, 2009
USA
I have a pole but it is about 5' tall, 3.5" OD, with a triangular base welded to it. It requires three 3/4" diameter bent bolts (aka J-bolt and L-bolt). These bolts allow for re-leveling of the pole if the concrete base shifts position. Originally, the pole came with an 8' perforated dish that I bought from Radio Shack about 15 years ago. I'd like to use it with my new 12' dish but I'm trying to determine if this pole is OK for this size dish. I would prefer to use it instead of setting a pole in concrete. My understanding is that the 12' dish can be placed on a pole without extra supports. So, can I use the pole with the triangular base and if so how long do the L bolts need to be? I'm planning on digging a 5' deep hole for the concrete base. Some articles I have read are recommending a L bolt length of between 26 and 35 inches. I'd have to special order such bolts and the minimum order is $150. So, can I use the 24" bolts that I can readily get from Fastenal?

Weld your 24" bolts to a piece of steel rebar as long as you want.

Or you could use a piece of steel with two holes in it to join two lengths of threaded rod/bolts together if welding would be a problem.

I would want my anchor bolts to go nearly all the way to the bottom of the concrete for any project.

I just used a long 12 foot pipe with rebar crossed in the bottom. leveled the pole-putting about 4' in concrete (talk about overkill) on a 24" base. My 10'er has never moved.

The most important thing is to get the bottom of the concrete pad below the frost line for your area. Here in WA state it is 24" in NM it's about twice that.

Personally I would just go get a piece of schedule 40 pipe and weld a fin on it or piece of rebar (as mentioned previously) so it won't spin and have it done.

A 3 foot cube of concrete would be plenty unless you live in an extremely high wind area.

I did one of my poles while building this house. I reached down with the hoe on the backhoe and dug a two foot wide hole about 4-5' deep and about 5-6 long. Every time the concrete truck needed a place to clean out what was left in the truck I had him put it in the hole. It's pretty stout

PS
"Frost Line" is also known as "Freeze Line".
It's how deep the ground freezes during the winter. If you don't get below it, the ground will "heave up" and your pole will tilt

Last edited:
I didn't want to put a pole in concrete. But since I can't find any specific info on using L bolts for my project I guess I'll have to go with the pole in concrete option. I got some info from Skyvision that wasn't much help either - I guess spending $2000 on their products doesn't qualify for expert advice. Will the so-called "ready-rod" or "all-thread rod" work for this project instead of the L bolts? Anyway, hole digging begins tomorrow.

Try home depot for foundation bolts

I did. They don't stock galvanized. And, unusual lengths that I want are too expensive and they come in boxes of 10 - I only need three.

Allthread is way too soft. Some 3/4" bolts welded to some rebar is a good option, and youo can bend it easy if you heat it up with a torch.

That's what I was thinking (about them being too soft) and I don't think hardware stores stock galvanized or stainless steel all-thread. I can get 3/4x24 galvanized L bolts from Fastenal, though, but I would prefer longer bolts. I wonder if the 24" L-bolts would be adequate with rebar. I hate guessing as to what will work but I guess I could pull everything out and start over if it isn't adequate. Money is no problem - yeah, right. :rolleyes:

You should only need a few inches of bolt standing proud of the concrete, and having the welds covered by cement should protect them. I used some cardboard sonotubes for mounting my Birdview 8 footer, 4' deep holes and 1' above ground. Used a lot less concrete too. If you get the tops of the bolts pretty level prior to pouring, you should be in good shape.

I did. They don't stock galvanized. And, unusual lengths that I want are too expensive and they come in boxes of 10 - I only need three.

That's strange. We just bought a few to put up a large (ham) antenna tower here. Maybe they vary from store to store.

When all else fails try
McMaster-Carr
They have everything

I've bought 5/8 diameter stainless foundation bolts for telescope piers from them.

Just remember to tape the threads so you don't get concrete in there

Here are a few pics for you,,just to give you an idea

Pole is 11 ft long 6 " in diameter for my 10 footer

Threaded rods are 36" long bent them 2" with a torch

Hole is 6ft deep 21" x21" ( I dug deep so to avoid the frost line since I live in Northern Canada)

Only mistake I did ,,is that I filled my pole with concrete to the top,,,,some say a big no,no,,,that it will split open in the winter,,,some say no problems,,,,

I am just crossing my fingers

Good luck with yr project !!!!

Cheers,,,

Attachments

• 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    341.5 KB · Views: 202
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    283.7 KB · Views: 217
  • 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    333.8 KB · Views: 194
  • 9.JPG
    9.JPG
    295.3 KB · Views: 201
  • 11.JPG
    11.JPG
    329.9 KB · Views: 203
  • 14.JPG
    14.JPG
    399.9 KB · Views: 197
  • 22.JPG
    22.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 206
I guess I could use 3/4x36 galvanized threaded rod for this project.

Also, anyone know what diameter PVC I should use with ribbon cable (2xRG-6, 1xmotor control, 1xpolarity control)? I'm guessing that 1-1/2" sched 40 should get the job done.

Here are a few pics for you,,just to give you an idea

Pole is 11 ft long 6 " in diameter for my 10 footer

Threaded rods are 36" long bent them 2" with a torch

Hole is 6ft deep 21" x21" ( I dug deep so to avoid the frost line since I live in Northern Canada)

Only mistake I did ,,is that I filled my pole with concrete to the top,,,,some say a big no,no,,,that it will split open in the winter,,,some say no problems,,,,

I am just crossing my fingers

Good luck with yr project !!!!

Cheers,,,

I'm curious as to why you used a pad with a 10 footer.

I guess I could use 3/4x36 galvanized threaded rod for this project.

Also, anyone know what diameter PVC I should use with ribbon cable (2xRG-6, 1xmotor control, 1xpolarity control)? I'm guessing that 1-1/2" sched 40 should get the job done.

You might get away with allthread, but the material they make it from is ('scuse me) sh*t!
Spend just a couple bucks more and get some substance to it. You'll be happier in the years to come.

You will never be unhappy that you over built.

I've heard that quick-crete isn't good for sat antenna foundations?

I guess I'm going to have to spend big $ for special order anchor bolts since I can't find what I need around this hick town.

I guess I'm going to have to spend big $ for special order anchor bolts since I can't find what I need around this hick town.

It was mentioned earlier but if you have access to a welder some long 3/4" bolts, welded to some #5-#6 rebar would be a good alternative.

Also, you might check with a commercial concrete contractor, metal building contractor, bridge builder or sign installation company for some 3/4" anchor bolts.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)