Conduit Box Near Dish Pole - Do I Need One?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

jsattv

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 4, 2006
Guys I am in the process of wiring in a new Actuator / Dish Mover and rerouting all my wires for my 12 Foot Mesh Dish.
Except for G25 / 97.0W my South Bird, I have NOT really yet found my East and West Limits OR fine tuned the Dish for the Clark Belt. I'm wondering since I have everything appart now - if putting in a waterproof Junction Box with a Terminal Strip on my ground mounted 7 Ft. Dish Pole is the best way to go for the 4 Motor Connections as well as the 3 Polorotor Connections, since it will likely need many adjustments to get things properly sorted out. If you use a Conduit Box what is the recommended unit? Any comments would be very much appreciated.

Personal opinion-- If I will not have switches or multiple co-ax (RG6) runs to the location I probably will not use a box. I will run a PVC pipe or conduit with some sort of weatherhead on it to keep the rain out. I also will use a sealer (like "Thumb-Gum") to keep the bugs as well as moisture out of the pipe and weatherhead.
I would not use it for a splice box because it would be just one more set of junction ready to fail. AGAIN personal OPINION.
POP

I install a waterproof box and then have a terminal strip for the actuator and servo motor, but then I put F-81 splice connectors for my RG6's, that way I can hook a TV to adjust the dish and its safe from the weather. Also I install all my cables in electrical conduit ( not the white PVC ) just for extra insurance from any stray voltages.

Thanks for the comments Truckracer, RV1POP, and Sergei. Yes that's what I had in mind, - that is to be able to adjust the Dish and Motor for Satellites and East and West Limits from the outside with the VBox III and Sat Receiver rather than having to go back and forth into the house. I believe it will take a lot of adjustments till I've got it right. I've also got a Satellite finding Trimax Meter which works well, but for setting up the Motor I think I'll need to bring outside the V Box III and Sat Receiver?

Was at Home Depot and Rona yesterday and they sure don't have much for Plastic Conduit Boxes that will hold Terminal Strips, guess I'll keep looking.

Yes it’s a good idea to have a Conduit Box near Dish Pole. Being that I live in a rather rural area and most the homes here are all on well water not only did I get my poles for my dishes there but they also have used boxes that have there when they have to replace them with new ones. You can use the shell of the box and adapt to your needs to putting in your wires to the dish and the actuator. Then hook up some PVC tubing to run from the box to the home. It's a lot easier to pull the wire in the future if it goes bad then to re dig the yard! Also don’t forget to hook up a ground wire and run it to a stake in the ground.

Tom
:)

Check out your Menard's store, I found they have a better selection of pipe and weather proof boxes than either Home Depot or Lowe's. In Menard's check the plumbing aisle for additional larger boxes.

Thanks for the advise Thomas and Sergei. I wish we had a Menards up here in Winnipeg, Manitoba - we need to drive about 185 miles South to Grand Forks, North Dakota to get to one of their stores, but we do see their Flyers at times up here and their prices are a lot cheaper than in Canada.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts