Bruce

Bender and Chloe, the real Members of the Year
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
5.9 Million gone in 2022
4.7 Million in 2021

So if the increases hold, at least 7.1 Million will be lost in 2023, then 8.3 Million in 2024, but many expect that number to be higher because of smaller cable companies shutting down their video operations and DirecTV losing ST, which will increase the losses.

So, by the end of 2024, they will have lost at least another 15 Million, down to 55 million, so since 2015 , 45 million gone.

If the increases continue at the current pace, that means 9.5 million in 2025. 10.7 million in 2026 and 11.9 million in 2027, by then another, roughly, 31 million gone and Traditional Pay Live TV will no longer be profitable.

Sorry, cannot dispute the math.

The biggest losses were for DirecTV ( 1.5 Million estimated ) , Comcast at over 2 Million lost and no longer protected by the bundle price point, Dish and Charter.

Also 3 of those 4 carry the most sports, including the RSNs, yet have the highest losses, shows why the RSNs are in trouble, the majority just do not care about them.

Within the next few years, most TV will be streaming and OTA.
IF streamers start increasing their monthly prices as much as they did under the satellite/cable companies, then you can expect that streaming viewers will be short term and only when they have to watch the show, then cancel. Ota has been around since the beginning and there are many dvrs that you can use like Tablo and the Tv Anywhere and even Tivo. There is simply no longer a reason to pay to have all those channels and especially since they are all showing network tv reruns and infomercials most of the day.

I grew up with just 3 to 4 channels and didn't get cable till the early 80s. I have had satellite for over 26 years total between Prime Star and DISH. Now the closest thing to this for me is Sling tv which is way cheaper. I would like it to have a better guide and ability to set up a custom list that I can easily stay on. Maybe when DISH finally gives up the ghost for satellite tv , we can get a newer version that takes the Best of DISH and Sling tv together. Till then I am only paying for Sling tv, Disney, Paramount and Netflix for my portion that T-mobile doesn't cover. Hulu is only on when I watch Handmaid's tale. :smug

Something new-

• Traditional pay-TV services (not including vMVPD) had a net loss of about 6,250,000 subscribers in 2022 – compared to a net loss of about 5,585,000 in 2021
So, while Traditional Providers (DirecTV, Comcast, etc) are losing so many subscribers, only a tad more then 300,000 are electing to stay with Live TV, that means they are going staying with just the Netflix type services.

Explains why streaming services, PARAMOUNT+ for example, had such big gains.

IF streamers start increasing their monthly prices as much as they did under the satellite/cable companies, then you can expect that streaming viewers will be short term and only when they have to watch the show, then cancel. Ota has been around since the beginning and there are many dvrs that you can use like Tablo and the Tv Anywhere and even Tivo. There is simply no longer a reason to pay to have all those channels and especially since they are all showing network tv reruns and infomercials most of the day.

I grew up with just 3 to 4 channels and didn't get cable till the early 80s. I have had satellite for over 26 years total between Prime Star and DISH. Now the closest thing to this for me is Sling tv which is way cheaper. I would like it to have a better guide and ability to set up a custom list that I can easily stay on. Maybe when DISH finally gives up the ghost for satellite tv , we can get a newer version that takes the Best of DISH and Sling tv together. Till then I am only paying for Sling tv, Disney, Paramount and Netflix for my portion that T-mobile doesn't cover. Hulu is only on when I watch Handmaid's tale. :smug
3 main networks +pbs >> cable >> directtv/dish back and forth>> Cable with Tivo>>OTA only >> SlingTV Blue>>

and now after cancelling sling/fox after they axed Tucker its:

Rumble/DVD/BLURAY/Frndly TV
and I'm very happy with this, and so is my wallet!

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Something new-

• Traditional pay-TV services (not including vMVPD) had a net loss of about 6,250,000 subscribers in 2022 – compared to a net loss of about 5,585,000 in 2021
So, while Traditional Providers (DirecTV, Comcast, etc) are losing so many subscribers, only a tad more then 300,000 are electing to stay with Live TV, that means they are going staying with just the Netflix type services.

Explains why streaming services, PARAMOUNT+ for example, had such big gains.
One main advantage with streaming over satellite/cable is the number of free services. So even if streaming gets expensive, we still have hundreds of free channels. Add in OTA (If available) and it works out well. Frndly TV & Pluto are inexpensive enough nearly anyone can afford them. Services like that will always be around. If a person wants sports they will have to pay for it.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
First of all, in a situation like this you can't extrapolate the numbers and try to project future or even continued losses. As streamers keep raising their prices it will reach a point where so called cord-cutting will likely plateau, not continue into oblivion. YTTV's recent price increase has now brought it exactly in line with what I pay for Dish and Dish has a hidden advantage no one mentions. In the event of an area power failure I can fire up the generator and watch TV, among other things. Can't watch TV if the Internet is down and believe me when the power goes out in the area so does the Internet feed. Give it time, it's going to find it's own level, not continue to sink.

Reactions: DS0816 and navychop
First of all, in a situation like this you can't extrapolate the numbers and try to project future or even continued losses. As streamers keep raising their prices it will reach a point where so called cord-cutting will likely plateau, not continue into oblivion. YTTV's recent price increase has now brought it exactly in line with what I pay for Dish
No, your package ( Flex Pack)has a lot less channels then what YTTV gives you for $2 less then your Dish Bill.

Second time you have written this without any form of context.
and Dish has a hidden advantage no one mentions. In the event of an area power failure I can fire up the generator and watch TV, among other things. Can't watch TV if the Internet is down and believe me when the power goes out in the area so does the Internet feed. Give it time, it's going to find its own level, not continue to sink.
The power went out here for about a day when Hurricane Ian hit, internet never went out ( have a stand by).

Oh, its "confirmed" now. The other 500 googled up posts on the EXACT SAME SUBJECT weren't?

Oh, its "confirmed" now. The other 500 googled up posts on the EXACT SAME SUBJECT weren't?
Yes, I post links to prove what I post.

What happened to that deal you said would happen , that DirecTV would make a deal with whoever got the ST deal to allow them to keep carrying it, at least for folks in rural areas.

Or that DirecTV would keep the commercial deal for business.

Or that MNF would never be on ESPN+ or that ESPN will not go OTT along with being a cable channel

Go back thru the DirecTV will keep ST thread and anywhere else I post, all my predictions have come true.

You cannot even admit Netflix makes a profit now after years of losses, same will happen for a few other streaming services.

Really?

None of your "predictions" have come true. You didn't even know how Nielsen worked until I explained it to you. You don't know enough to comment, really. But, almost daily, you post the same post. "I found that some number of people dropped cable. That proves everyone will eventually". Over and over. Every day.

No, it doesn't. The people that want streaming only, have it. The people (the vast majority) that still want linear TV have it. You have numbers. You just don't know how to read them, so you go to a dead wrong conclusion. It's OK. I don't know anything about plumbing fixtures. Which is why I don't comment on them, leaving it to those who do.

BTW, howcome millions leaving the mega-profitable cable industry mean it is "dying", but, millions dropping streaming (you posted a link that reported a 49% churn rate (AKA drop rate) mean it isn't?

BTW, howcome millions leaving the mega-profitable cable industry mean it is "dying", but, millions dropping streaming (you posted a link that reported a 49% churn rate (AKA drop rate) mean it isn't?
No I did not, and streaming is growing, this myth about people leaving keeps getting posted here with no evidence ( aka links)

Netflix-220 million at the start of 2022, now at 232 million(Q1/2023)
Paramount+ 40 million to now 56 million(Q4/2022)
Disney+ 137 million to now 161 million (Q4/2022)
Hulu 41 million to now 48 million(Q4/2022)
ESPN+ 22 million to now 24 million (Q4/2022)
Hulu Live 4.1 million to now 4.5 million (Q4/2022)
Peacock-13 million to now 22 million (all paid, not the freebies) (Q1/2023)

And then there's me. No streaming services, and no payTV. I grew up in Los Angeles where we had 10+ channels FREE OTA since the 80s. Just grew up with different expectations. I have no plans to ever pay for watching TV.

Companies are too greedy. The biggest reason so many started cutting cord is because of the HUGE fee they charged you for it. That worked until there was another way. - Streaming... My mother was paying $250 for TV and internet and she got notified they were raising rates again. She was fed up and early this year, switched to a streaming service, and switched to a only internet service provider. Now she pays monthly under $85.oo for both. - My mom is 70+ years old, and for her to go through all that change shows how much they pushed her!!

My biggest gripe with the Streaming services, is you cannot just buy one to get everything you might want. Certain ones only have certain content agreements which can expire yearly. So content comes and goes... 5 years back, i did have Amazon prime, but not for the streaming service, but for the two day shipping. I did watch streaming for a bit on it, but we ran it dry pretty quick, and the 2 day shipping slipped from 2 day to 3 day to 4 day and i cancelled Prime. Amazon Prime is worthless at this point to me, i don't even bother signing up for the 30 day free trials they constantly offer me.

Reactions: FTA4PA
And then there's me. No streaming services, and no payTV. I grew up in Los Angeles where we had 10+ channels FREE OTA since the 80s. Just grew up with different expectations. I have no plans to ever pay for watching TV.

Companies are too greedy. The biggest reason so many started cutting cord is because of the HUGE fee they charged you for it. That worked until there was another way. - Streaming... My mother was paying $250 for TV and internet and she got notified they were raising rates again. She was fed up and early this year, switched to a streaming service, and switched to a only internet service provider. Now she pays monthly under $85.oo for both. - My mom is 70+ years old, and for her to go through all that change shows how much they pushed her!!

My biggest gripe with the Streaming services, is you cannot just buy one to get everything you might want. Certain ones only have certain content agreements which can expire yearly. So content comes and goes... 5 years back, i did have Amazon prime, but not for the streaming service, but for the two day shipping. I did watch streaming for a bit on it, but we ran it dry pretty quick, and the 2 day shipping slipped from 2 day to 3 day to 4 day and i cancelled Prime. Amazon Prime is worthless at this point to me, i don't even bother signing up for the 30 day free trials they constantly offer me.
I can remember way back when there was this concept being bandied about called "Pay TV". "Cable" wasn't even a term yet as we now use, although there had been areas with poor offair reception that had cabled "antenna services" carrying free offair signals. And I thought, who's going to PAY for TV??

FF to recent history, and you have the likes of DiSH that keep people hooked on their service while continually jacking up rates, and when you call in to complain or threaten to quit, they ask, almost mockingly, "well, how are you going to get your TV?" If they threaten to switch providers, that's fine, because that other provider at the same time has its customers threatening to switch to them.

If DiSH shuts you off, it all goes dark, and you've got nothing but maybe offair. But as here mentioned, with streaming there's all kinds of free content, you can never go completely dark. In my opinion this new "industry" does still need to get its act together to approach the market less disjointedly, but there's also no doubt it's the future.

Most of what I buy from Amazon comes in 1-2 days. We’ve even had a couple of same day deliveries.

NOW- OFF TOPIC! This IS SatelliteGuys, after all! :D

I recently bought a 12v/120v cooler for car trips. About 35 gallons. Less than $400. Worked great for a few hours, after 6+ hours of just sitting there upright for things to settle. Fuse was good. Power cord reset did nothing. Returned it the next day, no problem from Amazon. AFTER I dropped it off at Amazon Fresh (& packed it myself- they don’t pack it for you like Kohl’s did), I got an email from the maker, wanting to work with us to get it working. Too late, but nice customer service.

Now, we might buy another one, different brand (TBD). We really liked the one we bought, but - you figure it out.

The best compressors are from Germany (Secop). And they charge accordingly. But what failed? Compressor? Circuit board fried? Even if we paid 2-3 times as much, might they be using the same electronics?

Most of these for sale are pretty obviously the same unit, same control panel but with cosmetic differences.

There is a F40C4TMP model that says “German technology” but does not specify the compressor brand.

Anyone have any experience with such things? Comments, Curses, Questions or Complaints?

BTW, we sometimes drive some distance to buy groceries at the Commissary, and maybe combine trips. We tend to buy frozen chicken, or frozen turkey breast, to keep things cold. When we don’t need that item. So this cooler could serve to keep chilled or frozen stuff safe. And, of course, maybe stash sandwich fixings and frozen suppers while on road trips.

Reactions: FTA4PA and TheKrell
Anyone have any experience with such things? Comments, Curses, Questions or Complaints?
My dad, may he RIP, used to build pickup truck campers that had hot and cold running water, a flush toilet, and even a shower. And a refrigerator. The 12V variety were kind of weak. But would you believe they used to make propane powered refrigerators for campers and trailers? Egad those things were terrible. Off level a bit and they didn't cool at all. I wondered how burning propane would work. Can anybody explain that one?