Conflicting information

JimP

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 8, 2004
Wetumpka, AL
I have a 1000.2 installation in zip code 36093.

Double checking some information, I see that on the "point dish" screen, when my zip code is entered for a dish system 500, I get Azimuth of 226, Elevation of 42 and Skew of 127. However, when I check the pdf for my zip code, it show Azmuth of 231, Elevation of 38 and skew of 130. My main curiosity is about the skew angle. Does 3 degrees make any difference?

Maybe I'm using the wrong dish system in the point dish setup. The 500 was the only one that had 110 and 129. Am I suppose to be using another?

The settings for a dish 1000.2 will be slightly different than a dish 500. As you found, there is no specs for a 1000.2 on the receiver. I would use your first numbers.

Any signal at all if you are lucky with that p.o.s. satellite. By early next year the replacement sat will be in place and the 129 problems will be gone.

I'm still learning this stuff so please excuse the elementary question.

Basically, doesn't a higher signal strength give you more headroom from rainfade?

Yes it does.

It CAN also affect your picture quality despite what others will say.

High definition signal readings are less for the HD programs, NOT only because of poor pointing skills, but ANY HD signal meter reading will be less than that of a non-HD feed of the SAME STRENGTH signal. The reason is that amount of digital information per second that is required to produce a correct HDTV picture is approximately 5 times as much as is needed for an SDTV picture. Because the signal meters are not truly just an indicator of strength, but more an indicator of signal quality, all HD signal readings will be lower. And, if there are slow data rates (which ARE affected by signal strength) you may see a blurry picture or a picture much more like Enhanced Definition (EDTV) instead of HDTV.

Yes it does.

High definition signal readings are less for the HD programs, NOT only because of poor pointing skills, but ANY HD signal meter reading will be less than that of a non-HD feed of the SAME STRENGTH signal. The reason is that amount of digital information per second that is required to produce a correct HDTV picture is approximately 5 times as much as is needed for an SDTV picture. Because the signal meters are not truly just an indicator of strength, but more an indicator of signal quality, all HD signal readings will be lower. And, if there are slow data rates (which ARE affected by signal strength) you may see a blurry picture or a picture much more like Enhanced Definition (EDTV) instead of HDTV.

Oh God, here we go again... Please don't listen to this joker, he spreads his misinformation from time to time and has no clue. As long as you have a signal that isn't cutting out then you are fine. If you can get above 40 on 129 you should be fine.

lakebum,

Isn't that the problem. Once you start getting rain then your signal level drops until it cuts out?

In any event, I've order a 24" dish and LNB to aim at 61.5 to take care of what's mirrored on 129.

I don't lose signal on 129 or otherwise unless it is really really bad out, and then it is only for a brief time. Again I'm in the low 40s. Remember this is not a % signal it is just a scale.

:confused: What you are saying is that the HD channels require more bandwith, which is true. But how would that equate to picture quality on a digital signal? You either got it or you don't - no such thing as "blurry" in digital.

If digits are there

If the digits are there it doesn't make any difference iwhat the signal level is. Only thing that signal level can do is give you less chance of loosing it when there is rainfade. Blurry only happens in the case of a conversion error. It has nothing to do with sat signals coming into system. It makes no diff whether or not it's HD or SD signals. Transponder loading is the same in sat signals only difference is that they can put more SD's in the same bandwidth if using the encoding (say all MPEG 4 as opposed to MPEG2 vs MPEG4). So if you want to make statements about PQ have something to back it up.

Yes it does.

Sorry, but signal QUALITY is a matter of checking the Bit/Error Ratio, or BER. It does not matter the volume of data, only the percentage of that data that is corrupted. You can sample the same size of raw data whether it be for HD or SD and determine the ratio of bits to errors. Forward Error Correction fixes those blocks of data that are corrupted, thus restoring the picture. However, if there is too much corrupted data, FEC can't restore the picture, resulting in macro-blocking, audio squelching and total signal loss.

When I peak dishes, the best I can do with a Birdog here in Phoenix is around 40 on the receiver on 129 T30.

Yawn.

The OTA locals are going to be better because they're not compressed like DISH locals are. Post 1 the guy states his problem. Post 5 you are tooting your own horn. Post 14 has the guy moving his antenna up higher and gaining more OTA channels than he had in the past and liking them better than compressed locals from DISH.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts