Confused about UHF HD for local

denverlonghorn

Original poster
Feb 1, 2006
I just bought a Jensen HDTV antenna with UHF and VHF and an amplifier. I am trying to use it in Denver with a SONY KDF-60WF655, which has a built in ATSC tuner.

AntennaWeb says that ABC digital is UHF 7.1. Regular ABC is VHF 7. How do I know which signal I am getting? It doesn't appear to be high def. Wouldn't the regular signal have interference with the HD signal since they are the same channel?

Has anyone had success with off air HD antennas in Denver? Which ones? The Jensen just has the circle deal for the UHF, should I really be looking at something like a Terk?

I have DirecTV, which doesn't support local HD in Denver.

Thanks for any help. Would like to know in time for the Super Bowl.

Dever is #18 on the DMA list and will be very close to the next round of DirecTV HD LIL additions, but not in time for the big game for sure. Likely Q2/summer 2006.

What is you zip or distance from the towers? Are you sure that antenna is correct for your install? What antenna do you have specifically?

Your TV should display 7 or 7-0 or 7.0 or similar when on normal SD.

When you are on the DIGITAL channel it will display something close to 7.1, 7-1 and in the bottom right corner of the image they usually display (about every 1/4 or 1/2 hour) a "bug" that says the call letters - DT (KMGH-DT) to let you know you are watching their DIGITAL broadcast.

I capitalize DIGITAL because the vast majority of shows on the digital broadcasts are NOT in HD. Test/check during the weekday prime time slots.

Last edited:
If you are getting the digital signal it should display 7.1 or 7-1. Looks like they are on UHF channel 17, which is just mapped to 7.1. I'm not familiar with that Sony set - it may show up as 17-1 or something like that on the Sony. My Pioneer tuner shows channel 2 here in Houston as 35-1 since it's on UHF 35.

AntennaWeb says that I am 10.9 miles away. The antenna set-up is pretty simple, there is only a coax connection. Do I need to change some parameter within the TV set-up? I will try during primetime to see if I can get the DIGITAL signal.

I will also try UHF 17.

Shouldn't the DIGITAL signal also be 16:9 rather than 4:3?

The antenna:
Jensen Amplified Indoor HDTV Antenna Model: TV911 (you can look it up on Best Buy)

I will let you know how this goes this evening. Let me know if anything else comes to mind. Thanks.

denverlonghorn said:
AntennaWeb says that I am 10.9 miles away. The antenna set-up is pretty simple, there is only a coax connection. Do I need to change some parameter within the TV set-up? I will try during primetime to see if I can get the DIGITAL signal. I will also try UHF 17. The antenna: Jensen Amplified Indoor HDTV Antenna Model: TV911 (you can look it up on Best Buy)

I am betting this antenna is NOT pulling a great signal at all on the UHF side. I would up to a Zenith Silver Sensor. Even the FCC uses this model for low distance urban testing; great results. http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?main_cat=03&CAT=&PROD=ZHDTV1 Even better would be a decent outdoor model like Winegard PR 9018 UHF Prostar 1000 Antenna (PR9018)

Shouldn't the DIGITAL signal also be 16:9 rather than 4:3?

No, not all digital is HD. Not all digital is widscreen.

Last edited:
denverlonghorn said:
I just bought a Jensen HDTV antenna with UHF and VHF and an amplifier. I am trying to use it in Denver with a SONY KDF-60WF655, which has a built in ATSC tuner.

AntennaWeb says that ABC digital is UHF 7.1. Regular ABC is VHF 7. How do I know which signal I am getting? It doesn't appear to be high def. Wouldn't the regular signal have interference with the HD signal since they are the same channel?

Has anyone had success with off air HD antennas in Denver? Which ones? The Jensen just has the circle deal for the UHF, should I really be looking at something like a Terk?

I have DirecTV, which doesn't support local HD in Denver.

Thanks for any help. Would like to know in time for the Super Bowl.

KMGH is broadcasting at 1000 kw ERP

from 11 miles you should not have a problem, unless there is a mountain in the way. By the way the SONY KDF-60WF655 has two coax inputs, are you absolutely sure you are plugged into the one that saya UHF/VHF? I second the Zenith Silver sensor. I use one to pull in signals from 30+ miles away. One other thing, have you scanned for digital channels? You won't see anything until you do.

Last edited:
Do not waste your money on Terk. Mostly, they are good looking overpriced underpeforming junk.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)