Confused about UHF/VHF

CSB80

Original poster
Aug 6, 2005
I just got a DirecTV hd receiver and am trying to determine what type of OTA antenna to purchase in order to get my locals in HD. I went to antennaweb and entered my address and the indication was that all the local digital signals were UHF even though some of the channels were less than 13 which I understood to be VHF range. So, is it possible that channels like 9.1, 7.1, 5.1, and 4.1 are UHF?!

If so, and with ranges around 25 miles, I'm considering RadioShack's 40" Boom Length, 17 elements outdoor antenna for UHF-only (channels 14-69). Should this work? Should I be concerned about the 14-69 channel listing when I need to receive 4.1, 5.1, 7.1, and 9.1?!

Thanks for any help. I hope the UHF question isn't too stupid. :eek:

Yes, with digital stations there's a standard called PSIP which allows the station to transmit on a UHF channel but you tune to to via the stations VHF (or UHF) channel number. So if antenna web is saying that your digital stations are UHF then that's the antenna you need to get, at least for now.

Once the analog stations start to shut down there is a chance that your local station has told the FCC that they elect to use their original VHF channel assignment so that could be an issue a few years down the road.

Thanks rad.

Anyone has any experience with this particular RadioShack antenna? I haven't posted enough to be able to provide a link so I hope I've described it well enough.

I just used the search box at the top of this page on the Radio Shack 15-2160. I didn't read all the references. But the few that I did read had good things to say about it.

Even with your channels being UHF right now, a combo UHF/VHF may be a good decision for you. As rad said, stations will likely be allowed to use their VHF assigned frequencies. Most stations will probably choose this option because the power requirements are much lower, saving them $$$.

Thanks. DirecTV is promising hd locals in my area by early next year so I'm hoping this is a short term solution and the UHF should cut it.

A CM 4228 is gross overkill in this application. The Rat Shack Yagi antenna should do just fine for a short-term DTV antenna solution.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)