Confused by package lineups

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

tjguitar

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Aug 23, 2006
Can someone who subscribes to Dish help me out?

I'm torn between the Americas Top 120+ and America's Top 200. According to the Dish website, Top 120+ includes Fox Sports 2, but not Fox Sprrts 1. It also shows that Top 200 has Fox Sports 1, but not Fox Sports 2. This doesn't make sense to me. It seems weird that FS2 is in the cheaper package to begin wtih, but it's even stranger that it's not included in the Top 200 with FS1 and NBCSN.

I'm leaning towards Dish because DirecTV STILL doesn't carry Pac 12 Network....but DirecTV does seem to be a tad cheaper for 3 receivers

I'm not sure as we sub to AT250,I can tell you that FS2 is sd only.

Confusing but that is because Fox rebranded other channels to make FS1/2. So if the package had what became FS 2 then you have FS2.

Confusing but that is because Fox rebranded other channels to make FS1/2. So if the package had what became FS 2 then you have FS2.

What's confusing is that Top 120+ has FS2, but Top 200, which is a higher level package, does not.

Correct.

What was once Fox Soccer Channel is now FXX (in HD and SD), which is included in America's Top 120 Plus and above, MultiSport package, and Dish Latino Dos and above.

What was once Speed is now Fox Sports 1 (in HD and SD), which is included in America's Top 200 and above and in Dish Latino Max.

What was once Fuel TV is now Fox Sports 2 (currently SD only), which is included in America's Top 120 Plus and America's Top 250 (but not in America's Top 200--I think Fox Soccer Channel was also the same way before it became FXX) and also in MultiSport Package.

To get MultiSport, you must have an eligible package (which seems to mean having regional sports networks) like Dish Latino Plus, Dish America Silver, and America's Top 120 Plus.

I'm leaning towards Dish because DirecTV STILL doesn't carry Pac 12 Network....but DirecTV does seem to be a tad cheaper for 3 receivers

Dish's Duo receivers can be used for 2 TVs (1 HD feed and 1 SD feed which can still access HD channels except in 480i). So, 1 HD Duo receiver and 1 HD receiver could cover 3 TVs. However, I do not know what kind of setup (HD, DVR, etc.) you want.

In terms of the cheapest route, a 222 HD Duo would cover 2 TVs (1 HD feed and 1 SD feed with access to HD channels in 480i) as the primary receiver included in the base price while a 211 HD Solo would be an extra $7/month. The 211 usually has an OTA connection in which the OTA are included in the EPG and can be converted into a DVR with an external hard drive and one-time $40 fee. So, there is no monthly DVR fee with this receiver. However, while having all the DVR features, you would not have access to the On Demand channel. Therefore, the total monthly receiver fees would be $7/month.

For DirecTV, I believe each receiver is for a single TV. The primary receiver would be free or included in the base price while each additional one would be $6/month last time I checked. If you have a DVR receiver or receivers, I believe there is a $10/month DVR fee (thought it was $7/$8 ). So, that would be $22/month in equipment fees.

Of course, I am not even entertaining whole room options like Hopper and Genie which would most likely have heavier fees. XD

Here is a link to the American packages (America's Top and Dish America packages) in PDF format:
http://www.mydish.com/programmingguides/

Here is a link to a Dish Latino channel lineup card (which does contain English channels): http://www.mydish.com/downloads/channel-lineup/onlinechannel_latino.pdf

This pricing site may also help:
http://vendor.dish.com/calculator/

I also find DirecTV's base package prices to be higher than Dish's.

Last edited:
Dish's Duo receivers can be used for 2 TVs (1 HD feed and 1 SD feed which can still access HD channels except in 480i). So, 1 HD Duo receiver and 1 HD receiver could cover 3 TVs. However, I do not know what kind of setup (HD, DVR, etc.) you want.

In terms of the cheapest route, a 222 HD Duo would cover 2 TVs (1 HD feed and 1 SD feed with access to HD channels in 480i) as the primary receiver included in the base price while a 211 HD Solo would be an extra $7/month. The 211 usually has an OTA connection in which the OTA are included in the EPG and can be converted into a DVR with an external hard drive and one-time $40 fee. So, there is no monthly DVR fee with this receiver. However, while having all the DVR features, you would not have access to the On Demand channel. Therefore, the total monthly receiver fees would be $7/month.

For DirecTV, I believe each receiver is for a single TV. The primary receiver would be free or included in the base price while each additional one would be $6/month last time I checked. If you have a DVR receiver or receivers, I believe there is a $10/month DVR fee (thought it was $7/$8 ). So, that would be $22/month in equipment fees.

Of course, I am not even entertaining whole room options like Hopper and Genie which would most likely have heavier fees. XD

Here is a link to the American packages (America's Top and Dish America packages) in PDF format:
http://www.mydish.com/programmingguides/

Here is a link to a Dish Latino channel lineup card (which does contain English channels): http://www.mydish.com/downloads/channel-lineup/onlinechannel_latino.pdf

This pricing site may also help:
http://vendor.dish.com/calculator/

I also find DirecTV's base package prices to be higher than Dish's.

I was comparing Hopper with 2 joey's vs 1 genie with 2 mini-genies. DirecTV seems slightly cheaper teaser rate, but I think the regular rate might be higher.

I was comparing Hopper with 2 joey's vs 1 genie with 2 mini-genies. DirecTV seems slightly cheaper teaser rate, but I think the regular rate might be higher.
Make sure you see what the fees are after 12 months, they tend to go up sharply and you would still have another 12 months left on your contract. I looked into their pricing and was shocked by the amount it would cost me after 12 months.

Directv's long term pricing is what helped me decide to leave them. The only way to keep the cost down (IMO) with them is to establish a long history with them and then constantly call them up to see what kind of current deals they are offering long term customers. I got tired of the fight to keep my cost down, plus the Hopper is (IMO) the better of the two best HD DVR's. Dish too has pricing that goes up, but it seems less expensive long term, as I looked at all of the costs.

If a tad cheaper means that much to change your mind, probably does not matter what is in the packages DISH has? Not a knock on you, I see it all the time, go with the least expensive. Others try to base it on what they watch and balance that with cost and equipment.
If the final cost could be the determining factor go to each site and go through the sign up procedure picking what you would get, right up to actually signing up and you will see your final cost. You may need to contact a DISH CSR (I would use the ones on this site) if you do not want a Hopper system.

As others have pointed out the problem with the Fox channels is that they changed the content of existing channels, before they did the placement in packages made more sense. It will get sorted out next contract.

Last edited:
As others have pointed out the problem with the Fox channels is that they changed the content of existing channels, before they did the placement in packages made more sense. It will get sorted out next contract.
In any regard, it makes no sense. Many of the channel guides say "includes all channels in the lower package plus the ones listed below", which isn't reality.

Can someone who subscribes to Dish help me out?

I'm torn between the Americas Top 120+ and America's Top 200. According to the Dish website, Top 120+ includes Fox Sports 2, but not Fox Sprrts 1. It also shows that Top 200 has Fox Sports 1, but not Fox Sports 2. This doesn't make sense to me. It seems weird that FS2 is in the cheaper package to begin wtih, but it's even stranger that it's not included in the Top 200 with FS1 and NBCSN.

Go AT200 + multisport OR if you're a soccer fan and want BeIN in HD AT250 + multisport

Since NBCSN has been moved down to 200 now, 250 isn't that much attractive unless you want BeIN in HD

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If a tad cheaper means that much to change your mind, probably does not matter what is in the packages DISH has? Not a knock on you, I see it all the time, go with the least expensive. Others try to base it on what they watch and balance that with cost and equipment.
If the final cost could be the determining factor go to each site and go through the sign up procedure picking what you would get, right up to actually signing up and you will see your final cost. You may need to contact a DISH CSR (I would use the ones on this site) if you do not want a Hopper system.

I definitely do need to consider long term pricing, my problem is I live in Southern California, my choices are COX, DirecTV and DISH. COX is the only one that carries 4 of the 5 local RSN's (except the Dodgers), but COX is by far the most expesnive, even if I bundle TV with internet. COX is the only choice for internet, so they have me captive. There si only 1 speed DSL, no FIOS or Uverse.

I do not care about the Lakers, but TWCSN carries local high school football and WCC basketball which I do occasionally watch. I still might go with Dish though. I'd rather have P12N than TWCSN, would be nice to have both...but again, COX is crazy expensive and they don't have much in the way of promotions.

There are retailers with both DirecTV (Costco) and DISH (gwdish.com) that are offering $200 gift cards for the channels I want....I want NBCSN, but I don't need it after hockey season so I can drop down for a few months if I feel so inclined. The gift card should cover a lot of the early termination fee for either company. My lease is only 1 year, but I also know that I can transfer satellite service if I move, not so easy with Cox as they don't service everywhere.

I also am not sure if Dish still shares HD feeds for east coast and west coast RSN's...meaning my local games will be JIP on the hd channels on Dish.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)