Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Ok guys...

Get this one...

The State of Connecticut is looking to charge an additional 1% tax on satellite customers bills because the satellite companies do not carry a Connecticut based channel called the "Connecticut Television Network"

Attached is a copy of the proposed bill.

Attachments

• 2010SB-00350-R00-SB.pdf
    120.4 KB · Views: 208
This will be sued out of existence in about 10 seconds. Our wonderful state govt showing their usefulness again!

why not drop the SD version on spotbeam into CT LiL markets?

I wondered what would stop dish or direct from doing that with other "state" cable channels; like PCN in Pennsylvania

WOW, thats crazy. That would be like the city of Chicago adding a tax because satellite doesn't carry CLTV. Not gonna happen (btw that never did happen) But if any satellite company wants to add CLTV and CLTVHD to their local Chicago lineup, your more than happy to contact Tribune and WGN for negotiations as its open to any provider. It would actually help your case here in the Chicago land area because that's the number one most requested local channel that isn't broadcasting over the air!

Funny part is many cable systems in the state do not carry the channel eaither, I dont see them being charged more taxes since the channel is not available.

If this one passes I can see a few lawsuits over it, as a few of the cable companies here in the state do not carry this channel eaither.

What a load of crap. It's like CT is trying to win a contest for "Biggest D*ckhead State" award. Between this and the fact that you can't play "1 vs 100" on Xbox 360 and win prizes, this just adds to the embarrassment. Not to get off on a political tangent, but whatever governor candidate can "guarantee" that these things will stop will get my vote.

So I'm supposed to fill out the survey and check "yes"(what the state wants) to try to influence satellite companies to carry the channel? While I'm there to take the survey, why not click on the "Watch CT-N on the internet" and "Watch archived CT-N videos" links? Who really needs the channel on Satellite?

Am I missing something? Connecticut wants the satellite companies to carry their channel... So to punish the satellite companies for not carrying their channel, they propose to tax the customers?

Wouldn't it make more sense to tax the company in some way??? <-- which is still wrong, but more logical

[observation of political implications removed... You'll have to use your imagination or head on over to sonicbabble.com :D]

Last edited:
I think the only state to carry a station like that at one point is Alaska

It was called "Gavel to Gavel" but has morphed into 360North which seriously kicks ass. It has older PBS programs and the AK legislature on it when in session so it really is more of a general purpose channel now

It's basically the CSPAN for Connecticut. What I don't get is that they make the streams live on the Internet. So, basically most people, regardless of their content provider, have access to it. This is a joke!

They had a public meeting yesterday, and it appears while many of the reps know this is not legal they say it will pass anyways as the state is counting on this money for next years budget.

Got to love politics.

Ok guys...

Get this one...

The State of Connecticut is looking to charge an additional 1% tax on satellite customers bills because the satellite companies do not carry a Connecticut based channel called the "Connecticut Television Network"

Attached is a copy of the proposed bill.

This is nothing but a money grab. Typical of blue state polticians with their insatiable desire to spend other people's money.
Hopefully that proposed tax goes nowhere fast
How folks in the high tax northeast get by if they don't make 6 figures is a mystery to me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts