Connecting 2 outdoor antennas

jself1982

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 15, 2006
South Carolina
Just curious as how to connect 2 outdoor antennas to come in on 1 lead for the ability of getting better reception without having to turn the rotor and lose the other HD channels in another direction in the process?

I have HD transmitters to the North and West, if I turn antenna from North to the West area to get those HD channels I lose the HD OTA's that I get in the North, so can I connect 2 outdoor antennas, to the North and West?

Combining OTA antenna

Channel master has a combiner that will combine 2 ota antenna into 1 coax cable, but I beleive it will only combine a uhf and vhf together properly, you may try a 2 way splitter but usuallyyou will have multipath issuses when you do that..

The Winegard cc-7870 combiner will do the trick and is $15 from solidsignal.com . There will be about a 3db insertion loss for two identical antennas pointed in opposite directions. If you had two identical antennas pointed in the same direction you would have a 3db gain.

the process combining two antennas with a 2 way combiner in opposing directions is troublesome and not always successful.

the coax for one needs to be exactly the same size, etc

need more information

model of antennas and preamp
list of channels from each direction

HDTV primer has a lot of information about OTA and was very helpful to me when deciding on which antenna configuration to use in a somewhat difficult reception area. They have a couple of pages that may help in your situation.

Merging feedlines (How to combine antennas that point in different directions)
Ganging antennas (How to combine antennas that point in the same direction)