Connecting DVR-R15 to HDMI only tv?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

CEV

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jul 17, 2005
I have a DVR-R15 and am currently looking for a 22" to 26" LCD tv to mount on the wall in front of the elliptical. I am finding they only have HDMI inputs. How will I be able to connect the receiver with no HDMI outputs to the LCD tv? Will my only option be to buy a new HD-DVR from DirecTV for $200?
Thanks

I find it hard to believe that a TV would only have HDMI inputs. They will have component inputs as well. And probably composite/s-video too! If you are actually looking at a monitor then that's a different story.

What models have you been looking at?

Yes, they have technically been monitors. My search criteria has been for something with integrated speakers. Suppose I'll need to limit it to not include monitors.
Thanks

You didn't mention if you actually have HD service now from D*, but if you don't, you could try & find an R22, which DOES have an HDMI out, but D* does NOT require HD service to be added to the account; unfortunately, they are no longer made.

If you have HD service, call up D* & see what kind of deal they'll make you on a new HD DVR - if you have been a good customer & have not had any upgrades lately, they might make you a good deal on one.

I find it hard to believe that a TV would only have HDMI inputs. They will have component inputs as well. And probably composite/s-video too!

Most newer TVs don't have any s-video inputs!
Kinda stupid in my opinion.
It's usually just HDMI, component, composite, & coax. The DIRECTV boxes don't have component outputs. It's a pretty far jump in quality from HDMI to composite.

I do have HD service. I'm hoping to wait to get another HD-DVR until they come out with the TIVO version. I read somewhere it should be soon?

Most newer TVs don't have any s-video inputs!
Kinda stupid in my opinion.
It's usually just HDMI, component, composite, & coax. The DIRECTV boxes don't have component outputs. It's a pretty far jump in quality from HDMI to composite.

My HR20 has component, so does my HR21.

To the OP, you can buy a s-video to HDMI or composite to HDMI converter, but they arent' cheap. You would be better off getting an R22 or a new HD box.

My HR20 has component, so does my HR21.

To the OP, you can buy a s-video to HDMI or composite to HDMI converter, but they arent' cheap. You would be better off getting an R22 or a new HD box.

I should have said SD DIRECTV boxes like the OP is talking about don't have component outputs. :)

If the OP had an HR20 or HR21 they would have even started this thread.

I do have HD service. I'm hoping to wait to get another HD-DVR until they come out with the TIVO version. I read somewhere it should be soon?

Dude, you're going to be waiting a VERY long time then - you'll probably win the lottery before that happens... :p

Dude, you're going to be waiting a VERY long time then - you'll probably win the lottery before that happens... :p

Dude, last I heard it was coming out in the 2nd half of this year. :p
Dude, even if it's not released until December of this year that's only 10 months or so from now. :p
Dude, what's up with the win the lottery before that happens ? :p
Dude, do you think the OP will win the lottery between now and December ? :p

Yes, they have technically been monitors. My search criteria has been for something with integrated speakers. Suppose I'll need to limit it to not include monitors.
You will not survive the integrated speakers built into most computer monitors. The ones on TVs are typically marginal at best.

OK, since neither of you are (obviously) getting it - it's most likely ain't gonna happen; now, later, a year from now, 10 years from now, 20 years from now... :rolleyes: :p
I've "heard" the same things you have - it's STILL not happening.
But whatever, you both can suit yourselves...just keep waiting for the postman... (is that better than the lottery??? :p )

Last edited:
It's STILL not happening because like I said last I heard it was due to be released in the 2nd half of 2010. :rolleyes: :p
But whatever, you can go on saying it's most likely ain't gonna happen. :p

Why would I wait for the postman ? :p

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)