Connecting External Hard Drive

handymantoo

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Oct 21, 2009
northeast
I have never used an external hard drive but I will be upgrading to Hopper system and would like to bring over saved programs. First can a usb thumb drive be used instead of an external hard drive? If not what is the best external hard drive? Any perameters that must be considered? Do I have to format it? Does Dish charge a fee?

No, you need one with it's own power source and not supplied via the usb port. Dish's website has many acceptable makes to use. Also, only recordings from the 612, 622, 722 and 922 models will work.

This is true. 411/211/211k recordings are not compatible with Hopper.

Western Digital is the going favorite..... I've got 2 of these and they work great!

Amazon.com: Western Digital WD Elements 1 TB USB 2.0 Desktop External Hard Drive WDBAAU0010HBK-NESN: Electronics

Yep on top of my self-built HDD enclosures, I have 4 of these, they're great!

It will but only one at a time.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I believe what he is asking is if it will support more than 1 EHD powered on and plugged in at a time like the 922. My assumption would be yes, however I do not know as I do not have a Hopper (yet!)

I believe what he is asking is if it will support more than 1 EHD powered on and plugged in at a time like the 922. My assumption would be yes, however I do not know as I do not have a Hopper (yet!)

Yes this is what I was asking. I've had two EHD's connected to my 922 (at the same time) for over a year. Might be somewhat of a deal breaker for me if you can only have one connected at a time to the Hopper.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)