Connecting RG6 to surge protector

brinack

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 4, 2010
Wisconsin
I have the 922 receiver hooked up with a dedicated ethernet line so I have no powerplug ethernet issues.

I was wondering if running the satellite cable through a normal plug in the wall with 8 electrical and 2 coax plugs surge protector would degrade the signal or cause any other problems with the signal.

Thanks for any insight.

Also another question just came to me. My wife has a 612 in the living room and I have the 922 in the bedroom. Before with our TIVO setup we could pull shows off each others DVRs by using the wirless G setup TIVO had. Is there anyway for me to get her DVR recording to the 922 or for her to get my recording to her 612?

Thanks again.

The problem might be with the coax connectors on the surge protector not being rated to 2100 Mhz. Any barrel connector must be rated to at least 2100 Mhz for the satellite signal to work.

Thanks for the quick reply. Its a Woods brand model 6956 listed on this page:

https://www.ccixpress.com/webapp/wc...&channel=$&customer=&parent_category_rn=10310

I dont want to go without protection!!!!:p:p

But I want to make sure it dont mess with the picture quality.

If this is no good does anyone else have any recommendations on a Surge Protector or UPS type device??? Is anyone else using anything that works well for them??

Thanks

Well, you could try it. I no longer run my coax or phone lines thru surge protectors, due to problems in the past. But my whole AV system, including Dish equipment, goes thru a super expensive AV grade UPS.

Personally, I figure any UPS/surge protector system below about a hundred bucks is of little reliability. Used to say $70. Inflation, you know. ;)

I use an APC S type power conditioner and UPS backup, specifically the S10blk. Protects the entire home theatre setup and provides pure sine wave power. A great setup but it's not cheap.

I have the netgear home plug in to the outlet for internet for my son's computer and I also have my 922 hooked directly by ethernet . I noticed while I had the 922 plugged into the outlet that sometimes my internet connection would show home plug and sometimes say ethernet. It would also show not connected or failed on my internet screen of the 922. So I plugged the 922 into the monster surge protector and now it only shows ethernet and it stays connected now. So I would say that having both the home plug and the ethernet connected does cause problems.

Probably depends on the quality of the surge protector.

I've got a 612, 211k, and 222 hooked up through a Panamax M5100 without a problem.

But I once had a Monster piece of junk that wouldn't even work with digital cable, much more or less satellite.

Someone (a professional) correct me if I'm wrong, but I strongly feel that if the electric service entering your home, your satellite dish, and a rooftop antenna are all well-grounded then you will have no problem with lightning. Now, a direct strike is another story, and most of the packaging for surge protectors state that they won't protect against direct strikes.

The power cord would not pose a problem. Don't use the coax portion.

I strongly feel that if the electric service entering your home, your satellite dish, and a rooftop antenna are all well-grounded then you will have no problem with lightning. Now, a direct strike is another story, and most of the packaging for surge protectors state that they won't protect against direct strikes.

Your system should already be grounded. If you want to use a power surge protector or UPS, use the power cord but not the coax. You're only asking for trouble if you use the coax protection.

Ok great to hear its grounded already.

I have switched gears and purchased a br1000g APC UPS based on info that it provides coverage for power fluctuations and brown outs. Also states it has Automatic Voltage Regulation (AVR) which seems appealing to help protect everything.

Power-saving Back-UPS Pro 1000

Hoping this helps solve my problem of "rural country power" in wisconsin!!!!

There are a lot of surges, spikes, dropouts and brownouts that are not caused by lightening.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)