Connecting second receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.

PointlesS

Original poster
Sep 9, 2010
Madison, WI
Hi guys,

I just bought a second HD (Non DVR) DTV receiver, and I'm unsure of which multiswitch to buy. Currently my setup is this. I have a Slimline HD dish installed in August of last year. This has two cables that go straight from the dish to the two LNBs that connect to my HD DVR (HR21). All that I need is the ability to connect my second receiver. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Hi guys,

I just bought a second HD (Non DVR) DTV receiver, and I'm unsure of which multiswitch to buy. Currently my setup is this. I have a Slimline HD dish installed in August of last year. This has two cables that go straight from the dish to the two LNBs that connect to my HD DVR (HR21). All that I need is the ability to connect my second receiver. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Welcome to the Site,
Look around, stay awhile !

You don't need a multiswitch if you only have the two recvrs you mentioned.
You should have (according to what you posted) 2 lines coming from the dish to a ground block then to your HR DVR.
With the current set up your using both lines, 1 for the tuner to watch and the other to record.

You'll want to run another line from the dish LNB ( normally theres 4 outputs on the LNB in your set up) to the ground block and then to the new recvr.

Personally, I run 4 lines from the dish to the LNB on the original install so there is no need to go to the dish afterwards unless there are issues or an upgrade happening.
This allows you to run your new recver line from the recvr to the ground block and your done.

I'm looking at my setup, and right now there's 2 lines going directly from the dish to a 2 port panel on my wall, which then goes to the DVR. I unscrewed the panel from my wall and there doesn't appear to be a ground block there. I don't mind installing a ground block, but adding two more lines from the dish makes me a little nervous. It seems like I have to unscrew a cover on the dish to actually get at the connections, and I'm afraid that I'll mess up the alignment when I try to do that.

Is this the only way to connect a second receiver? I guess I'd rather take the easy way out and use a multiswitch if that is possible, but is there any limitations or negatives by doing that? Thanks!

The compatible multiswitches require 4 wires from the dish, so you would need to access the LNB in any case.

You could also replace the LNB with a SWM type. This would only require one cable connected to the dish with a splitter used to route the signal to the two receivers.

The compatible multiswitches require 4 wires from the dish, so you would need to access the LNB in any case.

You could also replace the LNB with a SWM type. This would only require one cable connected to the dish with a splitter used to route the signal to the two receivers.

Plus Power Inserter ...
So he'll need power.

I'm looking at my setup, and right now there's 2 lines going directly from the dish to a 2 port panel on my wall, which then goes to the DVR. I unscrewed the panel from my wall and there doesn't appear to be a ground block there. I don't mind installing a ground block, but adding two more lines from the dish makes me a little nervous. It seems like I have to unscrew a cover on the dish to actually get at the connections, and I'm afraid that I'll mess up the alignment when I try to do that.

Is this the only way to connect a second receiver? I guess I'd rather take the easy way out and use a multiswitch if that is possible, but is there any limitations or negatives by doing that? Thanks!

IF you can get to the dish safely, take the LNB screw out, run 2 more lines from it to the location in your wall cover, place the ground block and run a line to your recvr and your good to go.

As far as knocking it out of alignment, you should be fine as long as you don't hang on the dish arm or reflector.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts