Considering D*. Got ?'s

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tsduke

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 6, 2007
Iowa
Where can I find specs and capabilities of the HD DVR?

Does it do OTA?

I have E* now, but want more sports options. Compare to E* what will I like and dislike about switching.

Is ordering direct through D* the best option?

Anything I should watch for or consider when signing up?

*) The HR series can record 2 shows at once. 2 OTA, 2 sat or 1 of each. On thing it has over the 622/722 is it cant record 2 ota at a time,but it cant record 3 at time like the 722. I prefer the 2 OTA recordings myself.

That being said, the HR21 and HR22 do NOT have internal OTA tuners anymore. You'll need to request the AM21 ($50) so that you can record OTA.

The HR20/21 uses about 2%(of hdd storage) for mpeg4 hd and 4% for HD OTA recordings. I have a 640gb WD and it used less than 1% for mpeg4 and about 1.5% for OTA.

*) As far as sports, I'm not sure what plans Dish has, but D* has the NHL, NFL, MLB and Nascar. D* has a BUNCH of full time HD RSN's.

*) Id recommend ordering off the site or either calling them directly. Ive always had great install service from them Directly.

If you get a HR22 instead of a HR20/21, you'll have double the internal recording space which is nice.

Ive had both and prefer D*'s HD PQ over Dish. The HR dvr's also have native passthru which is nice and the one touch recording/series links are great.

Which RSN's are 24/7? CSN Chicago?

Anyway of knowing which HD DVR I will get?

The channel PDF shows it in HD, but didn't see anywhere saying if it 24/7.

Which RSN's are 24/7? CSN Chicago?

Anyway of knowing which HD DVR I will get?

CSN Chicago is a 24x7 HD RSN, as for the others I know there's a list somewhere floating around, just don't have the link. However, here's the D* PDF that lists all the RSN's that they have HD for, http://www.directv.com/see/pdf/chnllineup.pdf?footernavtype=-1 so while it might not be a 24x7 HD RSN good chance that if a game is in HD that they'd fire up the game only channel.

As for which DVR, it's whatever the installer had loaded onto his van, it could be a new HR22 or a refurb HR20, the only way to make sure is to buy it on your own or go with a local store that can guarantee which one you get.

I have heard cases of people getting refurbs on new installs...I got a brand spanking new one...also let us know (if you decide) how everything turns out tsduke! If you come over, please come to the CE forum, help us try out some of the new software, and be a part of the future.

Well I called and order, but I've already been mislead.:mad:

Rep told me second HD DVR for $99 and I'd only have 9.98 in lease fees.(for the 2 SD boxes. She also said I would own the HD DVR I was purcasing.

Then I went online and registered onlne with my account # and saw that the $99 item was listed as a HD rec and NOT a HD DVR.:mad: Called in and verified what I saw and also found out that leasing charges I was given were wrong and that the extra HD box was also leased.

CSR's suck!!

Well I called and order, but I've already been mislead.:mad:

Rep told me second HD DVR for $99 and I'd only have 9.98 in lease fees.(for the 2 SD boxes. She also said I would own the HD DVR I was purcasing.

Then I went online and registered onlne with my account # and saw that the $99 item was listed as a HD rec and NOT a HD DVR.:mad: Called in and verified what I saw and also found out that leasing charges I was given were wrong and that the extra HD box was also leased.

CSR's suck!!

I really dont like Misinformed CSR's for this reason....Both Directv and Dish lease there recievers now..In My opinion I am okay with that, you will find some that say its worse, some that say its better, call back in and get that second HD DVR, and dont be afraid of a little csr roulette :)

My order is probably a complete mess now. When I called back they voided my original order and created a new one. Since I created a online login with the first account number the system won't let me get into my new account # because my email address already exists.

Why can't these things go smooth?

How far out are the installs in your part of Iowa? I hear that the install dates in the Western Iowa (Council Bluffs) are about 2-3 months out.

What a freakin nightmare!:(:mad:

I have now placed my order 4 times.

Order#1 - Order place wrong
Order#2 - Was told CSR deleted it
Order#3 - CSR#4 supposedly deleted #1 & #2 completely from the database so he could enter order #4

On the first 2 orders I wasn't given a date. I was told I'd get a call back within 72 hours. On the 3rd order he told me to call a # to get installation date. When I did that my name referenced order # 1 still so this guy supposedly deletes everything and recreates my order with no charge for the 2nd HD receiver.

He gave me Friday 10/17 12-4 for an install. BUT....I have my doubts the order even went through. I never thought I'd find less capable CSR's than E*'s until now.

Wow... what a nightmare. How in the world can a CSR be that badly informed. Can I be a CSR from home in my spare time? Anyone who reads this board even occasionally, is 10X better informed than many if not most of them. Sorry Duke (sorry about the 24 car's season too!) :cool:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)