Considering Switching to Android

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

dishfan82

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 18, 2012
clinton Township
As much as I love Apple, I've considered switching to Android for some time now . What are some advantages of Android? What's the best music app for using that's comparable to iTunes?

A fresh supply of a cool refreshing beverage has been forwarded to you!

:D

Well first you have allot more options to choose from as far as manufactures which make better hardware. More customization No more Itunes just plug and go as far as music I always used what the default programs that HTC has on their device plus Google Play.. But there are tons of things to choose from when it comes to music so it will just depend on what you like. More compatible with things across the board but either way you will kick yourself for not trying it out sooner. I would like at the new S6 or S6 Edge then my second option would be a HTC M9 you might go and check those and see which one feels best for you.. :)

I have used a lot of both android and iphones, I tend to change phones every 6 months so I definitely try a lot of them. Basically to me it comes down to this.

Android:
Pro's - more hardware options, more customization, more features, usually more powerful hardware, can get better screens, some have expandable memory, all use cheap and usually well made microusb cables etc etc.

Con's - while has way more options and features they are less refined, some are clunky or not as user friendly. All the customization options can be overwhelming and make it seem more complicated.

Apple:
Con's - less features, usually less powerful hardware, very closed software, not very customizable, memory not expandable, uses delicate usb cables that always fail.

Pro's - the features apple does include are very refined, everything just works really really well, very user friendly, easy to learn.

My current phone is an iphone 6 and I am very happy with it, my last was a Samsung Note 4, I was very happy with it also just to big.

My Analogy:
Apple = Stock factory Corvette, reliable but vanilla, comfortable, has cold A/C, quiet enjoyable ride.

Android = Souped up Supercharged Corvette, has no A/C, not as comfortable, bumpy, noisy, needs a little more tinkering, not as vanilla though, and fast as hell

Neither is better, both are just better in their own ways. I right now am enjoying my iPhone 6 very much, but wouldn't hesitate to get an android phone if I wanted something different.

Last edited:
Beware that OS upgrades on android are manufacturer and carrier dependent unless you get a nexus branded device. Also android devices typically have more bloatware than iOS devices.

To avoid bloatware, bet a Nexus or Motorola Moto X with the sim card for your carrier. I have a Mont x (2014) and Moto X (2013) and love both phones. Both came without much bloatware and get you updates of the OS very quickly after they are released. Plus you can design the phone the way YOU want it to look. Been an android user since the beginning (G1) and would never switch.

A dirty little google secret is that the android versions of their apps have more functionality than their apple versions.

I use Google heavy and this is important for me.

I've had both, have settled on Android which has really improved in the last couple years.

Two in my family are apple with one of them telling me she is going to jump to android and the other asking me to take the pictures because she likes them better than her iPhone picks.

I'm going to pop for the galaxy 6 and it's 1.9 low light lens and plug less charging built in.

Also you can forget about having to use archaic iTunes for management.

I’ve always been very staunch against Apple, but purchased an 8GB iPhone 3G, and then a year later a 16GB 3GS (at full retail cost) because I was out of room. I couldn’t stand talking on the thing as I thought it was uncomfortable to hold, and kept my ruggedized Moto flip phone from Nextel to use as a phone. Plus AT&T service doesn’t really exist where I live or where I worked at the time, and I would get one bar with Nextel. I used the iPhone basically as a PDA. Then a friend of mine got the HTC Evo on Sprint, as I was considering getting an iPhone 4. With the Evo running Android you could do such advanced things as sending MMS messages, copying and pasting text, being able to record video (although I was jailbroken and used Cycorder), having a flash on the camera, voice recognition, micro SD card slot, app switching, multi-tasking and best of all the ability to use non stock apps. I hated the stock email client on the iPhone, but that was the only mail client, I couldn’t stand the iPod/Music app, but had no choice to use it, as alternative apps came out, they were great, but you couldn’t play music and actually do anything else, unless you used the stock app. I switched to the HTC Evo running Android 2.1 Éclair, and never looked back!

A lot of the things that Google (and Blackberry) pioneered eventually would up on the iPhone, I always felt like Apple is two or three steps behind the rest of the world. And no, I do not think for one second Apple products are more ‘polished’, more ‘well baked’ or of better quality. They are not the BMW or Mercedes of consumer electronics like some proclaim. I use Apple products most every day at work, I have to support iPhones (4S-6) and iPads (4th gen-Air 2). They are issued to our sales and marketing staff, we have about 25 people in sales/marketing, so that’s 50 iOS devices. Lord help me! I find them to be cumbersome, annoying, so overly simplified they are unintuitive and overall a pretty boring set of devices. Not to mention the iPad is just awkward to hold. Every tablet I’ve used has been 16:9 or 16:10, looking at a 4:3 screen makes me flash back to the 90’s. Using iTunes to load/remove content to an iOS device is just a pain, when you’re used to dragging and dropping with Windows Explorer.

The biggest advantage of Android is freedom! Like I said, I am responsible for roughly 50 iOS devices at work. Unlock them, and they are just a giant wall of icons, I see you can now add a background image which is mighty kind of Apple to allow that. With Android, every phone and every tablet is completely different. The end user is free to customize to their hearts content with apps, widgets, live wallpaper, different fonts, different launchers and everything else. Some people call that ‘fragmentation’, I call it awesome! Let the end user have complete control, what a novel idea. And with third party ROMs, you’re not reliant on manufactures or carriers for updates. I really don’t care that my HTC One Max is only on 4.4.2, I will be installing 5.0 on it over the weekend. Having external storage is great too. Don’t have to pay the $100 size upgrades, I just use the same 32GB and now 64GB micro SD card that I have for years.

Very little if any difference between the Apple and Android apps I use on a regular basis from what I can tell on the iPhone. And in the case of the DirecTV GenieGo app, it is my understanding on the iPhone you cannot stream over a cellular connection, whereas on Android you can. Not that I make a habit of watching videos on a 6” phone when I have a 60” TV, I occasionally watch stuff from my DVR when on lunch. For music, I always used the Winamp app, which is no longer available in Google Play, never even really used the app though, 99% of the time I controlled my music with the widget or lock screen controls. Ever since I got my One Max though, I’ve been using the stock HTC Music app. The thing is awesome, I love the layout, the visualizations and the song lyrics scrolling across the screen karaoke style. I also love with one touch being able to blast my music from my phone have have it stream to my 7.1 sound system, or in one touch stream pictures and video taken from my phone to my TV. I know you can do similar stuff with the iPhone, but I think it requires an Apple TV box, or maybe at least one point it did and knowing Apple, it’s probably a lot more restrictive.

A dirty little google secret is that the android versions of their apps have more functionality than their apple versions.

I use Google heavy and this is important for me.

I've had both, have settled on Android which has really improved in the last couple years.

Two in my family are apple with one of them telling me she is going to jump to android and the other asking me to take the pictures because she likes them better than her iPhone picks.

I'm going to pop for the galaxy 6 and it's 1.9 low light lens and plug less charging built in.

Also you can forget about having to use archaic iTunes for management.

What android apps have more functionality than the iPhone's versions? I'm 95% leaning toward an android phone after seeing my friends S5.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)