Considering upgrading to VaVa?

In my experience, giving something away and then charging for it creates massive customer dissatisfaction - better to charge from day one, I think, especially for what everyone expects to be a chargeable channel.

No way in hell am I paying $40 more per month for 6 stinking SD channels, no matter which ones they are. I think Voom screwed the pooch on this decision. Reserve VaVaVoom for the movies channels and if they need more money, create a middle tier. They are not getting another $1 out of me no matter what they add.

I can't see any wrong in Voom's decision to put the new channels on VaVaVoom. And no I don't have that service. Would love to but can't afford it at this time. When we had cable service it seemed that every little package deal was extra $$,and they added all the new channels for free. I love what I have and back Voom 100% I just hope that when my financial situation gets better I can upgrade.

Good point...

Stuart-B said:
In my experience, giving something away and then charging for it creates massive customer dissatisfaction - better to charge from day one, I think

True... But perhaps voom could inform everyone of their intentions and offer the channels in much the same way that was recently done with Showtime's free preview weekend. I don't think anyone would be dissatisfied with a "free preview" of these new channels, until voom is ready to move them into a new package. IMHO :)

Stuart-B said:
especially for what everyone expects to be a chargeable channel.

That is where most of the disagreement exists. Some of us believe that these new SD channels, that are offered in either basic or lower priced packages with other providers, should not be compared to, or grouped with the "commercial free" premium channels. :rolleyes:

The truth is noone cares to pay the extra money for SD channels that are standard on everyone else's packages. Sorry but that was a mistake.

KDRE said:
The truth is noone cares to pay the extra money for SD channels that are standard on everyone else's packages. Sorry but that was a mistake.

Actully thats not correct. Many of those Channels do not appear on the other providers "Basic" Packages. you generally have to upgrade to another pricing tier. There is a Chart that someone uploaded yesterday comparing most of the new channels and the priciing tiers of E* D* and VOOM but damned if I can find it now. though I do thinks its goofy of them to consider the Disc group in the same realm as HBO and Showtime.

Found the comparison chart
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showpost.php?p=400372&postcount=170

Geez all they have to do to create a middle tier is to add a deduct option for dropping groups of Voom exclusives. This would create tiers and allow me a few extra bucks in my pocket for dropping Moov and Divine.

A little more involved

vurbano said:
Geez all they have to do to create a middle tier is to add a deduct option for dropping groups of Voom exclusives. This would create tiers and allow me a few extra bucks in my pocket for dropping Moov and Divine.

It's a little more involved than that, they also have to modifiy their software for adding these tiers to the programs that the csr's use to add or remove these tiers to your packages. Until all the new channel adding is done it would not be cost effective to do this.

do people actually think that when you pay an additional $40, all you get are those 6 new channels?
ALL THE PREMIUM CHANNELS ARE INCLUDED FOLKS!!!

I agree, those 6 new ones should have been given to everyone, since there is nothhing "premium" about them...

You have to sub to the Dish Top whatever to get the extra Discovery channel, but they also throw in a 6 premium movie pack with it. Voom really needs another tier & they need to reduce the price of a single premium package down to around $12 each or 2 for $22. I don't think the addition of an extra HD channel or 2 is worth $8 more per month over the other providers. Because of their pricing, I will never upgrade any higher than the basic package. TV is just not worth that much money to me. Heck, it could all be HD and I would not pay it.

I have been considering switching to VaVaVoom for a while now, but I am a charter member, so I am currently locked in at $39 for basic + one plus pack for free. If I change anything I will loose the deal, but if I do nothing I keep the deal that I have indefinatly (as far as I can tell). I expected to loose the charter member deal a month or two ago and start getting charged full price, but since that appears to not be happening, I am sitting where I am.

Do I want the new channels, Yes, they increase with WAF (wife acceptance Factor), an I going to pay $50 more for them (along with the three other premiems that I would get) no way.

Keep up the good work Voom, but get the marketing guys out of the pricing business..keep them in the promo/advertising side.

Have a day!

Mark

Ive had Vavavoom for a year now. Its like having the DVR voom doesnt have yet. When they get A DVR id like to drop some of the premiums.

I took the 2 months free offer of VaVaVoom today I was not a charter member though so I really had nothing to lose but I think they will be pulling that discount rate they gave charter members pretty soon tbh.They need the revenue and it was nice of them to have kept it for as long as they have.

I signed up this past Feb. for the standard package and got the VaVaVoom one as part of the promo... I'm going to keep it but they need to add a bit more (RSN, maybe another HD or two) to make it more appealing.

For those of you that want a middle tier package - you could order the Voom package and add a plus pack for $20 like the Starz plus pack. I think the Starz Plus pack includes some other channels besides Starz. Not really sure.

roland

Nayl said:
I took the 2 months free offer of VaVaVoom today I was not a charter member though so I really had nothing to lose but I think they will be pulling that discount rate they gave charter members pretty soon tbh.They need the revenue and it was nice of them to have kept it for as long as they have.

If they pull my charter membership I will pull out of Voom.
I have kept them in good faith, while having another TV provider at the same time, So if they do that to me I will go back to cable.
Sorry but that's the way it is.
I had worked for a company that borrowed money from another company to get started in business and they gave them free service for life and good service at that.
You just don't burn people like that.
There is not many charter members to begin with I think we are safe for now.

PS Probley will be VVV soon anyway soon as I something that makes me go WOW.

piperut said:
For those of you that want a middle tier package - you could order the Voom package and add a plus pack for $20 like the Starz plus pack. I think the Starz Plus pack includes some other channels besides Starz. Not really sure.

roland
Yeah, a bunch of channels come with the Starz Plus Pack. Which is fine (although rather expensive at $20/month IMO) if the channel you're hankering for is STARZ. If for some reason you want, say DIY -- you can only get it by ordering all the Plus Packs, aka VaVaVoom. Makes no sense. Gotta believe it's only temporary.

I took in VOOM when it was free and rent the receiver. My purpose was to get all the HD channels that I didn't get with D* and E*. So, I ordered VOOM plus Starz and Cinemax. Didn't think TMC was worth it at the time. Then I added Playbor HD channel. All that with the receiver rental is $105 per month. My bill shows:
I pay $39.90 for the base VOOM package. and 14.90 for the movies and Playboy. The receiver is $9.50

So, if I switch to VaVa Voom The package will cost $89.90 Plus $19.90 Plus $9.50 for the receiver Total= 119.30 Plus Tax at 14.97 = 134.27 The difference would be $28.36.

So, how do I recover the difference?
I can dump E*'s top end package and just keep HDPack-

I currently have E*- $106.93 Basically AEP HDPack and CBS waiver for HD

If I switch it out I would keep AT120 at $37.99 (It is the right mix of SD channels)
HDPack- $9.99
Two receiver fee 4.99
DVR Fee $5.00
CBS Waiver fee $1.50
Total $59.47
Tax- 7.53
Total = $67.00

Saving- 106.93-67.00= 39.93

I actually come out ahead of the deal by about $10.

Is there anything I missed?

Added Savings...

Don Landis said:
Is there anything I missed?

I don’t think Voom is currently charging for TAX. At lease in my area, so you can subtract the $14.97.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts