Constant signal loss on 119

EMesropian

Original poster
Aug 30, 2007
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the world of satellite TV (well, 6 months... but I never messed with anything to learn).

I have Dish Network with the Vip 622 HD DVR connected to my Toshiba 47" HDTV via HDMI. Everything was fine and dandy until a couple of weeks ago when all the channels after channel 11 (local service) stopped working (up to 240, all the HD channels work fine). When I tuned into them, I would get the Acquiring Satellite Signal screen (for Satellite 119) for a few minutes, then go to the Error 002 screen.

So last Sunday, I called Dish and the representative who wouldn't even let me tell her the troubleshooting steps that I had taken, walked me through restarting the receiver several times, going through Check Switch and the Acquiring Signal screens when she concluded that the Receiver was bad and that they would have to send me a new one.

So, I get the new receiver on Thursday and try to set it up today. I hook up everything, follow instructions, get the receiver activated and try to go to the same channels (CNN for example, on channel 200 for me) and I'm still having the same problem. I restart the receiver (even power cycle it) a couple of times, run Check Switch several times and sit through dozens of Acquiring Satellite Signal screens with no use! CNN shows up for about 30 seconds, then disappears giving me the "Acquiring Satellite Signal" screen, eventually taking me to the Error 002 message. It's like Satellite 119 is playing hide and seek with me.

At this point you can imagine how frustrated I am, so I call up Dish again and this time explain to them that I did everything that they would ask me to do at least three times so she suggests that they would have to send out a technician for an additional $30. I mean come on!!! I didn't break it on purpose now did I? Why would I have to pay to get their service for which I am already paying for? :mad:

So I refused and now I am here, hoping someone could provide me with a solution.

The receiver has Firmware version 448 and I'm only having problems with 119, in case that info is needed.

Thanks in Advance! :)

Looks like your dish is not aligned properly. What's your signal strength for 119? Go to Menu, 6, 1, 1 and select satellite 119 and a then note the SS. Change transponders and note the reading.

You're most interested in the channels missing so you could tune to a channel that's missing, and then go to Menu, 6, 1, 1 and the satellite and transponder for that channel will be selected already. Note the reading and post back.

Thanks for your reply.

I went ahead and checked it on CNN and here is the info displayed...

Dish System: 500
Tuner Input: 1
Transponder: 19
Satellite: 119

The channel was obviously not showing so I had no signal on this screen for about 30 seconds. Then it was able to lock unto the signal (Echostar 119 West) and displayed signal strength ranging from 52 to 77 (the number was not constant and the tone kept changing).

This lasted for about 2 minutes and then the signal strength dropped to 0 for 5 seconds or so, then it came back as if the Satellite had decided to not broadcast anything for those 5 seconds.

Also, I'm in Southern California, with nice and clear sunny weather and I do have a clear view of the southern sky.

Maybe your mounting is loose and needs to be looked at. With the Santa Ann winds a co-workers antenna was blown out of alignment.

You may also try telling CSR that you are getting no signal. This may get someone out to look at your system.

Maybe your mounting is loose and needs to be looked at. With the Santa Ann winds a co-workers antenna was blown out of alignment.

You may also try telling CSR that you are getting no signal. This may get someone out to look at your system.

Would I still have to pay the $30? :confused:

Thanks. Well, if there aren't any more suggestions, then I'll go ahead and give them a call again tomorrow.

"Then it was able to lock unto the signal (Echostar 119 West) and displayed signal strength ranging from 52 to 77"

Is the dish accessible to you? You could check and see if something is loose and if it's just go up there with a 7/16 wrench and tight things up. If nothing is loose, something is wrong with your cabling. You can check all the connections and make sure they're tight. It could be as simple as a loose connection.

Could it be a flakey LNB?

Are there 119 problems on both sat tuners?

You know what... good point, because I was about to say, if it's a connection problem, why do 110, 118, and 129 work just fine on Tuner 1 and only 119 keeps dropping?

I'll try Tuner 2 and report back! :cool:

Update:

The same problem occurs on Tuner 2 also (which is connected to a 32" Panasonic SDTV). The problems exists only with those specific channels which appear to be on Echostar 119 West, although on Tuner 2, when I go to the Point Dish Screen when say CNN is selected, it automatically selects Satellite 118 (with no signal), whereas it selects Satellite 119 on Tuner 1. :confused:

This is becoming very frustrating, and that fact that I have about another year of my contract left is not comforting. :(

Did you know that if you're using Dish Pro Plus, tuner 1 and tuner 2 are sent on the same cable? They're then separated at the receiver with a DP Separator. So the fact that's doing it on both tuners, still could point to a loose connection somewhere along the line, a LNB as mentioned above or a loose dish. You could check the dish and the connections yourself, you will need a technician for the LNB because it will need to be replaced.

I am having a similar problem on 129.

Everytime I try to DVR something on Cinemax East HD (310), I get the error that it cannot acquire a signal.

Check switch shows no problems, and so far, it only seems to be this channel.

Fortunately, or unfortunately, I just had this dish installed last Monday under a DishMover, so I will call the installer out again to check it out.

We have had some strong winds out of the North here in San Antonio TX, which also happens to be blowing towards the same side of the house as my dish.

When I check the signal on 129, regardless as to transponder, I get a very weak or no signal.

So I guess the common consensus is to have a technician come and check it out... any suggestions as to how I could "not pay" the $30? :p

I encountered a similar issue last night with my system (VIP622). I put the TV on (History Channel) and it ran for about 30 seconds until the yellow "signal lost" screen came up. So I pressed the channel up and the SciFi channel came in fine....for about 30 seconds. This happened over and over. A channel would come in like normal but go away as if the signal were lost after about 30-60 seconds.

So I rebooted the system and still had the problem. Then I did a "check switch." After the "check switch" the problem went away....I think. Here's the catch: I receive my locals OTA with a roof antenna wired to the 622. Now one of my locals (WGGB-Springfield, MA) has the yellow "signal lost" screen. I checked to make sure the station is on the air and it is. I found something odd when I checked the signal strength for that channel. It shows ~90 but is red and says "not locked." Why won't the receiver lock onto that channel with a strength of ~90? All my other OTA locals are working fine, displaying with lower signal strengths of 75-80.

I can't help but think my two problems are related somehow, since both issues involved a present signal that was getting lost. I'm thinking my 622 is going bad. Any suggestions before I call tech?

I've been having the same probs for 3 months...finally got 2 techs out here last week to adjust the dish and move the wiring along the front of the house...fine for a week...then, guess what? Another signal lost on the VIP 211 in the bedroom this morning...so I had to call yet again to get someone out here yet again...I have had nothing but probs with these new boxes they told me I had to have back in August to keep my VOOM channels...I'm ready to stop paying my bill and consult an attorney...this is ridiculous and a waste of my time...and I thought DirecTV was bad...

I've been having the same probs for 3 months...finally got 2 techs out here last week to adjust the dish and move the wiring along the front of the house...fine for a week...then, guess what? Another signal lost on the VIP 211 in the bedroom this morning...so I had to call yet again to get someone out here yet again...I have had nothing but probs with these new boxes they told me I had to have back in August to keep my VOOM channels...I'm ready to stop paying my bill and consult an attorney...this is ridiculous and a waste of my time...and I thought DirecTV was bad...

Riight.... 13 million subscribers have no problems, but yours doesn't work, so sue Dish. God bless America.

Here's a thought - find a local Dish reseller, or someone local who knows how to aim satellite dishes, and have them fix your setup once and for all! You could probably talk your way into some credits on your bill to cover whatever costs you would incur.

I have no intention of suing DISH...I just want out of the contract I was tricked into signing...and judging from the numerous prob posts, there are a LOT of subscribers having problems, not just me...so go bless yourself...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)