Ronnie-

Member of the Year
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Aug 28, 2007
mississippi
Windows OS Preferred on Tabs?!? - Smartphones: PinStack.com

"U.S. consumers want a tablet powered by Microsoft’s Windows Operating system, not iOS, according to new research published by Boston Consulting Group. The firm found 42% of U.S. consumers would prefer a Windows-powered tablet, while just 27% would prefer iOS on a tablet. Fewer consumers would prefer Android (20%), QNX (9%) and HP’s now deceased webOS (3%). The findings were not just limited to the United States, either. BCG found that 44% of Chinese customers prefer Windows on a tablet to iOS (34%). AllThingsD notes that the company’s findings match those published recently by Forrester Research, which concluded its results were an indication of the popularity of Microsoft’s Windows brand among consumers. Additionally, RBC Capital Markets expects Microsoft’s Windows 8 platform to own 15% of the tablet market by 2014. Microsoft showed off a batch of its first Windows 8 powered notebooks, PCs and tablets in September, but the final products are not expected to hit retail shelves until late next year."

LOL! so the 'consumer' wants a Windows based tablet, huh? It's not like they haven't been for sale for over 10 years already with damn near no buyers.

Must be a slow news day for pinstack... :)

LOL! so the 'consumer' wants a Windows based tablet, huh? It's not like they haven't been for sale for over 10 years already with damn near no buyers.

Must be a slow news day for pinstack... :)
You beat me to it. Windows tablets have been failing to attract customers since 1992.

Last edited:
Other things being equal, I think I would prefer a Windows tablet too.
The question is, can other things be equal??! ;)

I think it must be the logo. I told my wife, I am going to get a decal of a Florida Orange Logo and paste it on my Dell laptop. :D

I'll keep the ipad with the Apple Logo.

Other things being equal, I think I would prefer a Windows tablet too.
The question is, can other things be equal??! ;)

I think 8 will be a big step towards that. A touch-centric UI in addition to the more traditional interface will be much better than 'oh, now the normal UI works better with touch' that 7 brought to the table. That same UI across multiple platforms will be cool too.

I think they're headed in the right direction, just not here yet. I'd prefer something that's more complimentary with my PC as well, but that doesn't have to be a windows based tablet.

Q: Would you prefer a tablet running Windows or iOS

Consumer iOS? what is that? I have heard of Windows, so I must want Windows...

Q: Would you prefer an iPad or XXX (insert anyone but amazon tablet)

Consumer: iPad!

Q: Would you prefer a tablet running Windows or iOS

Consumer iOS? what is that? I have heard of Windows, so I must want Windows...

Q: Would you prefer an iPad or XXX (insert anyone but amazon tablet)

Consumer: iPad!

Possible that it went that way, but doubtful.
Android as an OS name is well known, and it finished third.

Possible that it went that way, but doubtful.
Android as an OS name is well known, and it finished third.

I don't doubt it went that way at all. Yes, Android is recognizable, but only because of the plethora of ads doing the deep robotic voiced 'droid'. Yeah, I know, that's for the phones, but that is what the consumer sees.

If they asked the questions as : Would you prefer an iPad or a Windows tablet, the answers would have been much different imo.

Usually when I've found surveys like these that say a Microsoft product is preferred, I've always discovered the same thing. Microsoft paid for the survey. Hence, if that's the case, they usually cherry pick the people and questions asked.

I know that I for one am looking forward to a BSOD on a tablet. And oh, yes- one that takes 2 minutes to boot up! ;)

Well however they asked and whatever the conditions, there you have the results of that particular poll. I am sure there are countless others that will give different results.

In any case, right now, I will continue to thoroughly enjoy my Ipad, and look forward to seeing the Windows 8 tabs when they get here. They do look promising.

Well however they asked and whatever the conditions, there you have the results of that particular poll. I am sure there are countless others that will give different results.

In any case, right now, I will continue to thoroughly enjoy my Ipad, and look forward to seeing the Windows 8 tabs when they get here. They do look promising.

I think it's their (Microsoft's) last shot at relevance in the personal computing market.

I think 8 will be a big step towards that. A touch-centric UI in addition to the more traditional interface will be much better than 'oh, now the normal UI works better with touch' that 7 brought to the table. That same UI across multiple platforms will be cool too.
It's not just about UI. Running a desktop operating system (be it Windows, Mac OS X, or Linux) and desktop applications requires a much more powerful CPU, better RAM and a bigger battery. That's the main problem here. It is hard to fit a desktop replacement in an iPad form factor. Even Apple couldn't do it and instead of making a miniature Mac made an oversized iPod/iPhone. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)